Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 11:29 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,760,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Chicago already has about the most extensive offering of different cuisines, so I don't think more of any one type is needed.
Eh, I disagree. Again, I rest my case about Malaysian food. There are a big fat zero restaurants in the city of Chicago serving this food. The closest is in Arlington Heights, and there's only two more in the entire area (Hoffman Estates and Mundelein) to get it. There used to be a place in Chinatown called Penang, but it's closed. Also the same with Indonesian food.

Also, I could talk about legit West Indies (Caribbean food) too. I know of exactly one place in the entire city to get a West Indies Chicken Roti (Cafe Trinidad).

Not every type of food is in Chicago yet..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 09:21 AM

14,802 posts, read 17,559,019 times
Good paella.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:33 AM

14,418 posts, read 22,369,703 times
Who cares about Malaysian food.. haha
This city have more to offer than any other city I have been to. I can sit here and say that Chicago don't serve some real authentic Swedish food like Bloodpudding ( not meat balls ) and complain about that. Who cares!

Old 06-11-2012, 09:38 AM

14,418 posts, read 22,369,703 times
About southern food, yes I am surprised they don't have more but personally I don't miss it much. I lived in Memphis and northern Mississippi for a few years but once I came up here I realized what a food desert I have been living in.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
This city have more to offer than any other city I have been to. I can sit here and say that Chicago don't serve some real authentic Swedish food like Bloodpudding ( not meat balls ) and complain about that. Who cares!
Malaysian food is amazing...it's a melting pot of a lot of different cuisines over time. One of the best foods, and it's a shame it's not more well known. Also, not to do the "second city" BS, but NYC has more to offer "different cuisine" wise..Chicago is in close second.

YOU might not care, but many, many other people do care. People who do want such and such food and want to try it, or can't get it. They are adventurous and don't want to eat the same thing every week, especially if they can't make ____ food or _____ food, or suck at making it and want a good plate of it at that moment. If you don't care, then spare yourself some energy and don't participate. You may think this thread is complaining, but you're doing nothing different than complaining about people complaining.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:41 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,223,581 times
Quote:
If you don't like the topic, gtfo.

Obviously the OP cares about Malaysian food and has desire to have it closer than the suburbs. Just because Chicago has more food choices than anywhere else doesn't mean people should rest on their laurels. More choices makes for more enjoyable living, right?

And for Swedish, I feel like we get a fairly good mix here. I've never really wanted for more between Svea or Tre Kronor.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:49 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,289,458 times
I'd like to see more Haitian restaurants here. I would seriously hurt someone for some authentic Haitian patties, a bottle of kremas (or even just a straight up bottle of island rum), black mushroom rice, and some fried plantains with a side of picklese. There's one place past the Howard stop, but that's too far and I wasn't thrilled with their offerings. Every time I see the words "Caribbean restaurant" I cross my fingers and hope, only to realize that in Chicago, "Caribbean" often=Puerto Rican or, in rarer cases, Jamaican.

I also agree w/ the person who said more Brazilian and would add on Portuguese as well. Also, more authentic Jewish delis.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I'd like to see more Haitian restaurants here. I would seriously hurt someone for some authentic Haitian patties, a bottle of kremas (or even just a straight up bottle of island rum), black mushroom rice, and some fried plantains with a side of picklese. There's one place past the Howard stop, but that's too far and I wasn't thrilled with their offerings. Every time I see the words "Caribbean restaurant" I cross my fingers and hope, only to realize that in Chicago, "Caribbean" often=Puerto Rican or, in rarer cases, Jamaican.

I also agree w/ the person who said more Brazilian and would add on Portuguese as well. Also, more authentic Jewish delis.
Totally agree, especially about the Caribbean restaurants. Everytime I've seen them, they just serve jerk chicken and call themselves Caribbean. I guess it makes sense, but why not call yourself Jamaican then? Do you know of anywhere to get Conch in town or is that pretty much non existant?

There's a few decent Jewish delis in the loop like Perry's and Eppy's..and then Ashkenaz in the Gold Coast. Then Manny's near UIC.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:12 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,940,684 times
Quote:
About southern food, yes I am surprised they don't have more but personally I don't miss it much. I lived in Memphis and northern Mississippi for a few years but once I came up here I realized what a food desert I have been living in.
When I travel to TN I'm always blown away by simple dishes, biscuits and gravy, fried tomatoes, grits, corn bread, fried chicken. Of course Chicago is 'all around better' in the food category, but I'm baffled that we dont have a couple places that does it right.

Also, I havent been able to find good, authentic po boys

Old 06-11-2012, 10:28 AM

14,802 posts, read 17,559,019 times
Portuguese food too... cataplana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago