U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 11:27 AM

3 posts, read 3,522 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am relocating to Chicago next month. I will be working in the suburbs (deerfield). I am looking to rent a studio apartment for $800 maximum. Could you please recommend me some good places to live?

My priorities are:
1. Safe for female to live on her own
2. Relatively practical for commuting to work either by metra or by car
3. Can walk to restaurants/bars

Also, my work is on metra Miluwakee north line. Could you recommend me some places that I can live without needing to buy a car (i.e. able to go to work, buy groceries, go to city using metra). I can buy a car if that is what is necessary/practical in Chicago.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 11:37 AM

28,460 posts, read 80,639,086 times
Really? The office in Deerfield is acccessible from the Milwauke North Line? The employer runs a shuttle? That does make for some betterr transit options. I would check the site to be sure -- TMA - Shuttle Routes I think the Western Ave station shaves off a fifteen minutes compared to heading to Union Station. Probably a decent spot for a commute to/from Ukranian Village...

Old 06-12-2012, 11:48 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,431,004 times
With a job that far in the suburbs, living in the suburbs makes most sense...800 is tight as it is without a huge gas budget...unless the employer does run a shuttle (of course they don't). If you must live in the city, look around Mayfair, Jefferson Park, etc.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:52 AM

There are a fair number of employers that ARE supporting a shuttle service that runs on Lake-Cook Rd to/from the Metra station. The link I posted shows that -- it is a good option, and probably keeps a commute right around an hour. It would be faster to drive from a close to Deerfield 'burb, but the trade off in nightlife is huge.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the employer runs shuttle from lake cook station. Alternatively, if I buy a car what are my options in terms of good places to live

Old 06-12-2012, 11:55 AM

Driving would pretty much be a horror show unless you live in a nearby burb -- and towns like Northbrook and Deerfield have nearly no nightlife that is not oriented toward couples / families...

If you do want a quiet place to drive home to though...

Old 06-12-2012, 11:56 AM

15,335 posts, read 22,231,647 times
Is your work within walking distance of the Milwaukee North line? How long of a drive/ride are you willing to put up with? If you really want to live in the city, I would suggest somewhere like Ravenswood/Lincoln Square or Irving Park maybe...maybe Mayfair, but I don't know a lot about the area. Thing is that if you lived in somewhere like Ravenswood/Lincoln Square, then you' have to take a bus or two over to the Metra station in Mayfair. You should be able to easily get a studio for $800 in those areas..you could get a 1 bedroom with a roommate for less than that in those areas. Bus rides to the station would take probably 25 minutes, and the ride to Deerfield on the Metra is just over 30 minutes..

Driving there yourself would be a nightmare unless you left early and stayed late at work.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:18 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,763,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
With a job that far in the suburbs, living in the suburbs makes most sense
Not for people who hate the suburbs. My (reverse) commute is longer than that, and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I agree with Chet that Ukrainian Village would be a good spot for a metra commute to Deerfield. It's safe and would have something in your budget. Unfortunately, it's not a great spot for using the el to get around the rest of the city without a car. You could use buses, though.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:21 PM

15,335 posts, read 22,231,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Not for people who hate the suburbs. My (reverse) commute is longer than that, and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I agree with Chet that Ukrainian Village would be a good spot for a metra commute to Deerfield. It's safe and would have something in your budget. Unfortunately, it's not a great spot for using the el to get around the rest of the city without a car. You could use buses, though.
Actually yeah that's better than my suggestions. Take the 49 bus down from Western and Augusta

Old 06-12-2012, 12:29 PM

Is Ukranian village safe? Also, are there restaurants/cafes that I can walk to or take the metra too...or would it be necessary to buy a car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago