Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,985,395 times

Advertisements

It was announced last month (I think), but not confirmed until today. They will be moving from Deerfield to "downtown." Obviously it makes sense to build something in the West Loop or near the United Center. What are your thoughts? If they move right next to the UC, what do you think will come of the massive $75 million commercial area proposed for the UC?

Bulls Plan To Move Practice Center Downtown | NBC Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 11:22 AM

968 posts, read 2,671,387 times
Maybe they'll remodel/repurpose Harpo Studios ..So far, 'undisclosed location' , so who knows if they're building or more likely moving into a facility .. Would be another add for the West Loop for sure .. Nice they're closer to the UC ..

Old 06-13-2012, 11:23 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,124,063 times
Makes sense and long overdue.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:28 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,518,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
If they move right next to the UC, what do you think will come of the massive $75 million commercial area proposed for the UC?
That would still happen I think. Remember, the Blackhawks want to cash in on that development too.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:36 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,985,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
That would still happen I think. Remember, the Blackhawks want to cash in on that development too.
Right, I agree. What I meant was...do you think it will be a driving force for the area to build up even more? I mean, the huge shopping center is reason enough, but I think adding a practice facility nearby kind of adds to the "feel" of the whole team aspect in the area that "this is BULLS territory" and "this is HAWKS territory" if you know what I mean.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:48 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,518,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Right, I agree. What I meant was...do you think it will be a driving force for the area to build up even more? I mean, the huge shopping center is reason enough, but I think adding a practice facility nearby kind of adds to the "feel" of the whole team aspect in the area that "this is BULLS territory" and "this is HAWKS territory" if you know what I mean.
Oh sure. To how much effect, I don't know. Areas to the east have already improved the past 10 plus years. The problem with the UC is that it's sort of cut off from the street because of the parking. Madison street level activity dies off a bit east of Ogden, and when it gets to the UC, it's the stadium on one side and parking lots on the other.

Build those 2 developments, throw in a Pink line stop at Madison, and who knows? The prospects are intriguing.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:44 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,326,928 times
Yeah I really hope they build up that area. There is so much potential.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,230,328 times
I wouldn't be surprised to see it a bit further west on Madison by the new Johnny's Ice House.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:57 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,513,820 times
It was / is short sighted and kinda pathetic that so much land around the United Center is devoted to surface parking lots . If even a MODEST multi-level parking structure were built with 3 or 4 tiers the amount of land that would be freed up could be a huge catalyst to a more vibrant street scene. Imagine if the Blackhawks and Bulls had a combined practice facility that all the various strength training, courts, ice sheets, rehab spaces wrapped by a retail oriented facility. The athletes would be a draw and potentially the city could benefit from increased tourist spending / dining and other sales /
entertainment taxed venues. The "Bacardi Bar" across from the US Cellular Field is great place to spend before, during or after a Sox game and if a similar place were to be part of any additions to the United Center area it would be so much better than of asphalt parking...
If they merely repurpose Harpo Studios it would really do little to boast the area, and arguably shut off a resource that does have potential to continue to make Chicago attractive to filmmakers...

Old 06-13-2012, 09:24 PM

3,699 posts, read 5,012,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
It was / is short sighted and kinda pathetic that so much land around the United Center is devoted to surface parking lots . If even a MODEST multi-level parking structure were built with 3 or 4 tiers the amount of land that would be freed up could be a huge catalyst to a more vibrant street scene. Imagine if the Blackhawks and Bulls had a combined practice facility that all the various strength training, courts, ice sheets, rehab spaces wrapped by a retail oriented facility. The athletes would be a draw and potentially the city could benefit from increased tourist spending / dining and other sales /
entertainment taxed venues. The "Bacardi Bar" across from the US Cellular Field is great place to spend before, during or after a Sox game and if a similar place were to be part of any additions to the United Center area it would be so much better than of asphalt parking...
If they merely repurpose Harpo Studios it would really do little to boast the area, and arguably shut off a resource that does have potential to continue to make Chicago attractive to filmmakers...

Chett is that you?? Anti parking..slightly anti car? Anti suburban in a sense....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago