Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:40 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times

Advertisements

whatever. if weathers that important to you and find it that much of a drag theres lots of cities in the world to go around.

personally, i wouldnt trade it for much anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 09:21 PM

17 posts, read 60,589 times
it's not just the weather, it plays a big part though. think about costs.

chicago in my opinion:
highest price of gasoline in the US + 2nd congested US city in traffic + sales tax is one of the highest and may become the highest in the nation (11%) + weather

These things are not worth spending the rest of my life here, I'm more in touch with nature and quality of life. I do appreciate modern skyscapers but it's not the only thing that keeps me comfortable. I am very well traveled, it's amazing how you look at things after you explore not just where you grew up. I will always come back to Chicago after I move. I know where I want to live, it's all about timing now.

If you feel differently than me, I totally understand. Chicago is great of some people.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:41 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viento78 View Post
Beautiful neiborhood, where's that? It depends what your standards are I guess. Did you grow up here? Have you traveled and explored outside from here?
I live in Lincoln Square. It's beautiful. Come have a cup of coffee at Selmarie and we can sit in the plaza and watch the kids play.

I didn't grow up here. Hence the name. I've traveled and explored extensively.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
Yes, this week has been nice. One of the few ones all year in my opinion.

It isn't that I don't like it, but the cons outway the pro's for me and it makes me bitter towards the city. Think of moving from a beautiful, hillside community where you could go hiking ten miles into the woods in your own backyard, to this industrialized, flat, boring place. I'm a nature guy, and Chicago and its suburbs do not provide. So for me, Chicago is not the place to be. We are naturally at odds.

I also can't stand the weather. In Kentucky, we had hot summers, and cold winters. But the winters weren't bad, it had a nice feel to it. And the summers weren't humid, it was a dry heat. And then you had three months of spring, and three of fall. All four seasons. So I always complain about the weather in Chicago because of that.

Not saying all of Illinois is bad, I love southern Illinois and Western Illinois by the quad cities. But this particular area of Illinois is too populated, and the culture isn't enough for me to like it.

But it is a good place to visit, I will give it that.
But wait... you live here, right? Forgive me for asking, but... why? Not every place is for everyone. My top three places I've lived are Chicago, the mountains of NC, and the lowcountry of SC. I loved them all, but don't expect everyone to.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:12 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAROD View Post
Yeah, I heard Chicago was trying to get the 2016 OG. How do you see the chances of getting them?
I've got my money on Rio. It's South America's "turn." The U.S. has already had it 4 times.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I've got my money on Rio. It's South America's "turn." The U.S. has already had it 4 times.
Yep. Plus a summer games each for Canada and Mexico, 4 winter games for the US, and 2 winter games for Canada, including Vancouver in 2010. South America's gotten nada. Neither has Africa.

Funny thing about the bids is that those turds in LA were trying to snag the 2016 games too! They were the only other major US contender, and they've had the games twice out of the total of four times the US has had them. Spread it around, dudes.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:33 AM

384 posts, read 1,132,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
But wait... you live here, right? Forgive me for asking, but... why? Not every place is for everyone. My top three places I've lived are Chicago, the mountains of NC, and the lowcountry of SC. I loved them all, but don't expect everyone to.
Well my parents were transfered here several years ago while I was finishing up high school, and now I am finishing up college. In my third year going for business and criminal justice. If I had the choice, I would be back in Kentucky. I've also lived in Corpus Christi, Texas which is a seaside community, plus Houston and Austin. Austin is another hillside community. Chicago is completely different, politically and culturally. I can't stand the fact that the taxes are so high here, and the cost of living is just as high. For the prices of housing up here, you could buy a VERY nice home in most other parts of the country.

To any natives of Chicago, I would suggest checking out some nearby states, because when you retire you could potentially retire in luxery if you made good incomes and have a lot of money saved up. You won't get those same luxeries here.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
Well my parents were transfered here several years ago while I was finishing up high school, and now I am finishing up college. In my third year going for business and criminal justice. If I had the choice, I would be back in Kentucky. I've also lived in Corpus Christi, Texas which is a seaside community, plus Houston and Austin. Austin is another hillside community. Chicago is completely different, politically and culturally. I can't stand the fact that the taxes are so high here, and the cost of living is just as high. For the prices of housing up here, you could buy a VERY nice home in most other parts of the country.

To any natives of Chicago, I would suggest checking out some nearby states, because when you retire you could potentially retire in luxery if you made good incomes and have a lot of money saved up. You won't get those same luxeries here.
Forgive me for saying so, but I think we all know this. The financial issue is one that is not lost on Chicagoans, or people who live in places like San Fran and NYC that are WAY more expensive. I, for one, love Chicago, but don't plan to raise a family and grow old here or in the burbs. While I'm young, though, I want to live somewhere with stuff to do.

Furthermore, I know that in, say, SC where I was born and raised, I could have a house, a truck, a boat, and a dog for what I make here. Then again,
1) I would be hard pressed to find a job there that PAYS what I make here.
2) I, for now anyway, would rather have art, culture, food, nightlife, friends, energy, excitement, and interest than a 3br, 2 bath ranch house and a bass tracker.

My point is, we all wish you luck, but if people are looking for city life, they want just that. BFE is great for others. There's no one answer, and you're not the only one who has noticed that we pay a dime on a dollar for our Doritos.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:12 AM

BTW, Jak, are you in the city or the burbs?

Old 10-04-2007, 10:43 AM

17 posts, read 60,589 times
Default ok

Good for you. That's great that you are happy. Oh yeah, I didn't bother looking at your name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I live in Lincoln Square. It's beautiful. Come have a cup of coffee at Selmarie and we can sit in the plaza and watch the kids play.

I didn't grow up here. Hence the name. I've traveled and explored extensively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago