Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:40 AM

204 posts, read 940,651 times

Advertisements

Overall, It was probably the most fun I've had in one weekend in my life. I think this has to do more with all the sports going on than the city itself, but either way it was great. Chicago itself is awesome. It blows NY and LA away personally. There's alot to do, alot to see, and the people are great. Here are a few observations:

-The Wrigley Field bleachers have got to be the best place to watch a baseball game in the nation. It was great arriving over an hour before game time, to see the bleachers at 80% capacity with the remainder of the stadium practically empy. All the people I met out there were friendly as hell. I probably missed atleast half the game just because I was talking to people. I'm sure having almost 2 beers an inning aided in me missing part of the game. There really is no better feeling than enjoying a few beers in the bleachers of Wrigley, watching the Cubs on a Friday afternoon. You couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

-Rush and Division is a little overrated. Maybe it was just the particular bars I went to, but I wasn't blown away like I thought I would be. There are alot better bars here in Dallas, and 6th Street in Austin is far and away better. Like I said, it might have been the bars I went to, but for such a big city I was expecting better. I just went to the ones that were suggested to me. On the other hand, the Signature Lounge was awesome. The view was great, and although the drinks were pricey, just being there made it worth it.

-The pizza is great. Someone on the train recommended Girardo's (or whatever it's called, I had a few beers in me). We ordered it from the hotel room and it was delivered an hour later. It was great! I'm sure there's better in Chicago somewhere, but that was some of the best pizza I've had.

-For such a large city, I was unimpressed with the quality of women. I saw a few good looking ones, but for the most part I saw nothing special. I figured I'd see some nice pieces at Wrigley or at Rush and Division, but I really didn't. This isn't a knock on the city, because I'm sure they're out there, but I just didn't run into any. Maybe I'm just spoiled being from Texas.

-The people were very friendly. All the people I struck up a conversation with acted like they genuinely wanted to listen to what I was saying. I had alot of people ask where I was from, and when I told them why I was visiting they were impressed. They were quick to suggest restaurants and bars, or just places to be. I asked random people on the train about what that building was, or something of the like and they were quick to answer.

-Bears fans were alot more welcoming than I expected. Me and my 4 friends were decked out in our Cowboys gear and were sitting front row in our section. We heard our fair share of ****, but it was nothing like I imagined. They would joke around with us, and give us props when the Cowboys did something good. Coming into the stadium, I wasn't ruling out a beer being dumped on my head, but nothing came close besides someone throwing a peanut at me. If that was the worst that was going to happen, I'll take it. I'm sure it helped that we were with 2 beautiful girls, one being a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader. Bears fans sure are quick to to give up hope. Some fan threw their jersey in a urinal halfway through the third. I thought that was a little harsh seeing that we're only 3 games into the season.

-There is alot of graffiti. At one point, on the train from Midway, I didn't see one building that didn't have graffiti on it. I think it was between Kedzie and Western. I actually thought it was cool. There's no good graffiti down here in Texas!

Overall, Chicago is great. I wish I could have stayed longer. There's alot I missed that I'd love to see. Next time I go, I want to branch out from downtown and River North and see more of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 10:48 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoUniform View Post
I probably missed atleast half the game just because I was talking to people.
Sounds like you fit right in.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:10 AM

204 posts, read 940,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Sounds like you fit right in.
Yeah, I should have gone to Cominsky and watched "real" baseball, right?

Old 09-25-2007, 11:11 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
2 BEERS!!!??? This is Chicago bro, you need more oh and I didn't see any mention of a hot dog in the other hand. In order to TRUELY fit in here, you need to have a beer in one hand and a Chicago style dog or pizza slice in the other. Maybe this would be a factor as to why we are all such a bunch of fat @sses. LOL! Ah but it sure is fun isn't it?

Old 09-25-2007, 12:19 PM

61 posts, read 225,575 times
What is a chicago style hotdog??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
2 BEERS!!!??? This is Chicago bro, you need more oh and I didn't see any mention of a hot dog in the other hand. In order to TRUELY fit in here, you need to have a beer in one hand and a Chicago style dog or pizza slice in the other. Maybe this would be a factor as to why we are all such a bunch of fat @sses. LOL! Ah but it sure is fun isn't it?

Old 09-25-2007, 12:22 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times
Rush and Divison was the place to be...in 1975

Old 09-25-2007, 12:23 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loufalu View Post
What is a chicago style hotdog??

and most importantly....NO KETCHUP!!

Old 09-25-2007, 12:27 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times
Quote:

Yeah, I live in New England now, but I could really go for a Gold Coast Dog.

Only problem I have with that picture is the color of the relish. It looks too natural. Real Chicago dog relish is the brightest,most bizzare, unnatural color of green. Like it was sitting in a nuclear reactor for a while.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:31 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:

I never understood that "rule". I always put ketchup (in very minor amounts) on my dog.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:31 PM

61 posts, read 225,575 times
I could practically taste it... hahahahaha... as soon as I park the moving truck... I'm getting one of those.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: