Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 07:24 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,902 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My mother and I are planning a 4-day trip to Chicago in mid-August since we want to avoid the "bone-chilling" weather in the Winter. I'm not quite familiar with Chicago and in NYC, it's almost okay to stay anywhere in Manhattan since almost everything is proximate but I wanted to know where to stay so I can be close to all the good attractions, somewhere safe at night. I've heard so many great things about the Magnificent Mile and have been vying to go there for a really long time...until I looked at the prices for the hotels. I've also considered the Millenium Park and The Loop area but I thought I'd get some suggestions from some Chicagoans who know their way around, before I finally book a hotel. We don't want to spend too much but also not too little to get us into a hotel in a not-so-pleasant area since we're not familiar with Chicago. We just want to be close to the main attractions and not have to take long public transportation rides to get around. Is 4 days enough to see all the main attractions and some local "musts"? We are thinking about visiting our relatives in Toronto afterwards. Also, how friendly are Chicagoans with New Yorkers?

Apologies for the long post, just need some tips. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 07:32 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
What's your nightly budget? Ideally, you would want to stay where you were thinking. Either Magnificent Mile or near it, or the Loop (or maybe even South Loop). The entire area (South Loop, Loop, River North, Streeterville, Gold Coast) is very walkable for where you'd want to stay and has many attractions you might want to see (i.e. Millennium Park, Grant Park, Sears Tower, Hancock Tower, any musicals or whatever). There's a lot of public transit down there too, and I mention this because if you're flying into town, both airports easily take you downtown. Also, Chicago is about the neighborhoods IMO, and it's easy to get to them out of downtown with the train.

For prices though, go to something like Priceline or Hotwire. You will be able to get something discounted, especially with Hotwire. I have seen 3 star hotels in the Loop for $120/night in the Loop..

Old 06-14-2012, 08:04 PM

Whoops, forgot to mention hotel budget. $180 is the max, but we can drill for a little bit more, as long as it's proximate and we can get around easily. How much is per ride with public transit, or is it calculated by stops?

Right now, we're shooting for Club Quarters Wacker at Michigan and River Hotel (which seems to be at the same location, different hotels?) River Hotel seems like a nice place at a great location but I'm confused as if they're the same one because one looks really old and the other looks clean and gorgeous.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Whoops, forgot to mention hotel budget. $180 is the max, but we can drill for a little bit more, as long as it's proximate and we can get around easily. How much is per ride with public transit, or is it calculated by stops?

Right now, we're shooting for Club Quarters Wacker at Michigan and River Hotel (which seems to be at the same location, different hotels?) River Hotel seems like a nice place at a great location but I'm confused as if they're the same one because one looks really old and the other looks clean and gorgeous.
You could get a handful of places with $180/night if you go online IMO. You could probably get a 4 star. Club Quarters on Wacker isn't bad. If you get a room on the river, your view will be nice. It's a pretty good location. My guess between River Hotel and Club Quarters is that they share the same building, different hotels and companies though.

Just a quick look on Priceline, I see Hotel 71, River Hotel, Club Quarters, etc within your budget. If you go here, there's deals for the Hard Rock Hotel and Westin, both for $129/night. Chicago Hotels, Midwest Hotel Deals & Specials in Chicago | Travelzoo

Hotwire has better deals, although they don't tell you what hotel you'll be at until after you buy..

As far as public transit goes, it's per ride. You can get a pass...you could either just add value to a card (i.e. with cash or credit/debit card), or get a 3 day pass, 7 day pass, etc. It's basically $2.25 per ride no matter where you go. With your card, transfers within 2 hours are 25 cents (i.e. if you go somewhere, get off, and 60 minutes later you take the train back, the ride would only be 25 cents). In the Loop, all transfers are free as all train lines converge in the Loop (except yellow, but that line is non existant really. Very new). Same thing basically with the bus, except I don't think bus xfers within the Loop are free. Also, the train ride from O'Hare to downtown is around 40-45 minutes on the Blue Line train. From Midway it's around 20-25 minutes.

Also, if you were going to go to all the museums and stuff near downtown, get the City Pass (http://www.citypass.com/chicago?site...FYbrKgodjCp1VQ) You get admission to the Sears Tower Skydeck, Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, John Hancock Observatory or Museum of Science & Industry, and the Art Institute or Planetarium for $84 (I would recommend the Art Institute). Also, the architectural river cruises are good. They are $25-$30/person for a 90 minute cruise in the river with all this history. Wendella, Shoreline, and Chicago Architecture Foundation are the ones who do that (I like Wendella).

Old 06-14-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You could get a handful of places with $180/night if you go online IMO. You could probably get a 4 star. Club Quarters on Wacker isn't bad. If you get a room on the river, your view will be nice. It's a pretty good location. My guess between River Hotel and Club Quarters is that they share the same building, different hotels and companies though.

Just a quick look on Priceline, I see Hotel 71, River Hotel, Club Quarters, etc within your budget. If you go here, there's deals for the Hard Rock Hotel and Westin, both for $129/night. Chicago Hotels, Midwest Hotel Deals & Specials in Chicago | Travelzoo

Hotwire has better deals, although they don't tell you what hotel you'll be at until after you buy..

As far as public transit goes, it's per ride. You can get a pass...you could either just add value to a card (i.e. with cash or credit/debit card), or get a 3 day pass, 7 day pass, etc. It's basically $2.25 per ride no matter where you go. With your card, transfers within 2 hours are 25 cents (i.e. if you go somewhere, get off, and 60 minutes later you take the train back, the ride would only be 25 cents). In the Loop, all transfers are free as all train lines converge in the Loop (except yellow, but that line is non existant really. Very new). Same thing basically with the bus, except I don't think bus xfers within the Loop are free. Also, the train ride from O'Hare to downtown is around 40-45 minutes on the Blue Line train. From Midway it's around 20-25 minutes.

Also, if you were going to go to all the museums and stuff near downtown, get the City Pass (Official Chicago CityPASS® | Visit 5 Chicago Attractions for $84) You get admission to the Sears Tower Skydeck, Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, John Hancock Observatory or Museum of Science & Industry, and the Art Institute or Planetarium for $84 (I would recommend the Art Institute). Also, the architectural river cruises are good. They are $25-$30/person for a 90 minute cruise in the river with all this history. Wendella, Shoreline, and Chicago Architecture Foundation are the ones who do that (I like Wendella).

Thanks so much! Wow, the whole transferring seems really complex and the bus may seem a little confusing for me. I will check out those other hotels you mentioned! Honestly, we don't need anything fancy because we're pretty much going to be out the whole day and go back to our room to sleep...but as long as it's not some hotel that's falling apart with a reputation of bugs, stains, unsanitary conditions, we're good. I only have one more question...any places I should avoid? There are lots of mediocre, tourist traps we usually avoid here, like Times Square, but are there are places that are just "not worth it"?

Old 06-14-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Thanks so much! Wow, the whole transferring seems really complex and the bus may seem a little confusing for me. I will check out those other hotels you mentioned! Honestly, we don't need anything fancy because we're pretty much going to be out the whole day and go back to our room to sleep...but as long as it's not some hotel that's falling apart with a reputation of bugs, stains, unsanitary conditions, we're good. I only have one more question...any places I should avoid? There are lots of mediocre, tourist traps we usually avoid here, like Times Square, but are there are places that are just "not worth it"?
No problem. You probably will never have to transfer really. The only time you might is if you're flying into O'Hare and have a hotel in "River North." If you were staying at the Club Quarters or a hotel around there, you could just ride right into a certain stop and walk a few blocks. If you have to, let's say another day, it's not complex. Half the time it's as easy as walking off the train, walking forward 10 feet, and waiting for the other train. The bus is just like any other bus, but I would recommend as a person new to the city, if you're going to ride public transit to stick with the train.

If you are reallllly interested, then watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf-gGjaIgiQ

If that's the case about bugs, stains, unsanitary, then check out the deals I showed you (Westin and Hard Rock Hotel). There's maybe one weird hotel in the Loop (Congress Hotel I've heard is weird, but just what I heard)..most will be fine in the "downtown area."

Tourist traps...well, I wouldn't say there's necessarily any. I think the closest is Navy Pier, but that's just my opinion. It's a nice area and all, but I never think it's anything special except some of the yachts that might be near there or some old ships sometimes.

I will say this though. I think the Sears Tower view is overrated. If you want a better view, go to the Hancock Tower. They have a lounge on the 96th floor which overlooks a lot of the city. You're going to want a South view. I recommend going near sunset, but the view south is nice at night too. The lounge has $10-$15 cocktails, but getting up there is free and you could probably just walk around and check stuff out...

Some other cool areas near downtown is the Gold Coast area with the mansions. Go to the State and Division intersection and walk north on State (Like in this map: W Division St & N State St, Chicago, IL 60610 to N State Pkwy - Google Maps). There are a lot of mansions and big row houses in this area, even though it's downtown..mixed in with some high rises. The original Playboy Mansion is on State and the Archbishop's house is on State and North (the carriage house is just as big as a big house. Ridiculous really). The alley behind there is actually wood blocks instead of stone. If you walk in that area East towards the lake it's all a bunch of mansions too just like before. You never know who you might run into here I would take a walk along Lake Shore Drive up there too, it's very nice. The condo buildings lined here are really nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago