Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:12 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket1 View Post
Without tourists our taxes would spike up.

Yawn.
I'm not saying I don't want any tourists. I'm just saying I wish the people who think Chicago is so much more dangerous than anywhere else would just stop their Chicken Little routine (which is indeed boring and yawn-inducing) and go to those supposed "safe" places so those of us who like it here can enjoy our city. Put up or shut up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 03:13 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,550 times
The guy who wrote it isn't a tourist or from Iowa. He is a native South Side Chicagoan.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
I live in Iowa and visit Chicago pretty regularly. I've never felt the least bit unsafe on Michigan Ave or the rest of the Near North Side.
I would imagine 90% of frequent Chicago visitors agree with you. It just seems the other 10% have been writing a lot lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
However, I try to avoid spending too much time on the Mag Mile unless there's a specific store I want to shop.
I don't blame you there. If it weren't for it having the closest Apple Store, I'd stay far away from that place. And when I do need to go to that area, I walk up State rather than Michigan. It's far less clogged with tourists.

Sorry for picking on Iowa, by the way. I could have easily inserted any of 20 other "safe" states that people who put down Chicago tend to come from.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
The guy who wrote it isn't a tourist or from Iowa. He is a native South Side Chicagoan.
Tourists are who would primarily be affected if the Magnificent Mile were truly dangerous. That was my point.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:30 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,192 times
You really have to look at who is writing these types of articles.

With do respect to the c. tribune.

I cant really recall anytime where there has been a lack of police presence especially in the downtown area.

In addition all my trips to the downtown area including working down there for many years I have never once seen a pack of people

so called flash mobs attacking people.. not once.

It is simply overblown media hype....

The killings on the south and west slides .... different story.

Last edited by sunnyandcloudydays; 06-16-2012 at 03:47 PM..

Old 06-16-2012, 03:54 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
Between the fighter jet, the Prez, the Veep, Kenwood, the 10 arrested in a drug bust, and the 9 hospitalized from a carbon monoxide leak -- south of the Loop has received plenty of attention today. It's only Saturday.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:28 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,253 times
I've lived near downtown and worked in downtown and RIver North for 25 years .. most of the stuff getting reported has happened (mostly west of Michigan Avenue, but there as well) every darn summer .. There have always been strong arm and armed robberies in River North, Old Town , and , <gasp> , even in Streeterville, particularly on warm summer evenings.. To steal Willie Sutton.. "That's where the money is ..." the 18th Police district has always been known as one of the busiest ( besides the above, the usual spike in ethanol-induced disputes..and Cabrini..) ..

I'll worry when I see actual stats , and feedback from those I know that the situation is getting really out of control ..Seeing and hearing neither ..and I don't need SSC to get my law enforcement scuttlebutt .. There are valid complaints about deployment and undermanning in general, but Michigan Avenue and vicinity has not been conceded to the rabble yet ..

I do suspect that the batch of sneak-thieves and pickpockets that always have hit the Near North are a bit honked off that the in-your-face antics of the youngsters is cutting into their business .. People, still..watch your wallet as well as your phone and do NOT hang your purse over a chair when you're in a bar or restaurant in our fair city ..You're far more likely to get victimized by these clowns than by a gang of white-tee-shirted semi-feral juvenile delinquents in the more popular parts of the city .

Old 06-16-2012, 04:40 PM

72 posts, read 143,772 times
I like how the last portion of the articles mentions that he grew up in the south side of Chicago; oh the irony of the article. I like how he switches between teens and gangs and continuously to gangs. Didn't know he was an expert at identifying gangs.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:50 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
The mag mile is so dangerous that burberry decided to tear down their old two story shop and replace it with a larger four story store.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:09 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,269 times
Next weeeks headline, FLASHMOBS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: