Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 09:41 AM

160 posts, read 264,980 times

Advertisements

It's really very simple. People equate dangerous criminal activities w/ blacks. I'm African American and in truth, I can't really blame them. Obviously there are blacks, such as myself, who wouldn't dream of robbing, or committing any type of harm against another person, but the fact remains that there's a sizable number of people, who share my color who WILL do those things.

Anyhow, it's a bit frustrating to read comments from black guys complaining about not being accepted on the Northside. Why are these 'middle class' black men not helping to enact change within the impoverished black areas? Most of those deprived areas need sizable numbers of good/professional black men instead of the criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 10:12 AM

30 posts, read 45,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary2012 View Post
It's really very simple. People equate dangerous criminal activities w/ blacks. I'm African American and in truth, I can't really blame them. Obviously there are blacks, such as myself, who wouldn't dream of robbing, or committing any type of harm against another person, but the fact remains that there's a sizable number of people, who share my color who WILL do those things.

Anyhow, it's a bit frustrating to read comments from black guys complaining about not being accepted on the Northside. Why are these 'middle class' black men not helping to enact change within the impoverished black areas? Most of those deprived areas need sizable numbers of good/professional black men instead of the criminals.
The same reason that white transplants don't usually return to their home communities (right away especially) after graduating college. Young people of all races want the fun and adventure that a youthful area like LV/LP or similar gentrified northside areas have. As for going back and living in an impoverished area, I believe in societal obligation to a very small degree. It's awesome to help out those in need (I do for a living), but its just as important that one pursues his/her personal goals for life fulfillment. And I'm going to wear t shirts and jeans in LV just like everybody else.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay sparty View Post
The same reason that white transplants don't usually return to their home communities (right away especially) after graduating college. Young people of all races want the fun and adventure that a youthful area like LV/LP or similar gentrified northside areas have. As for going back and living in an impoverished area, I believe in societal obligation to a very small degree. It's awesome to help out those in need (I do for a living), but its just as important that one pursues his/her personal goals for life fulfillment. And I'm going to wear t shirts and jeans in LV just like everybody else.
Ok, but why are they expecting predominately white neighborhoods to welcome them with open arms? As I previously mentioned, people are going to be more careful and cautious around those who share the same color as persons prominently featured in the crime section of most of the major news reports.

Surely, if they are truly middle class, they have options. They CHOSE to live on the Northside, therefore they should learn to accept all that accompanies that particular decision. Crying and complaining won't change things. It's just odd to me, because if these guys truly want to feel welcome, they will create their own safe spaces amongst like-minded individuals who share their mindset. Why won't they band together and create their own business ventures on the South and/or West Side and encourage their middle class black male friends to do the same. If black men created safe spots with amenities, black college educated people (from all over the country) would surely flock to those areas. Harlem is a case in point.

Although the area is heavily gentrified now, there's still a sizable number of black upper class residents who have always owned beautiful well-kept brownstones throughout the neighborhood. Thanks to the gentrification, these blacks are now multi-millionaires. Many were smart enough to also purchase store fronts, therefore, they still own a sizable number of bakeries, nightclubs and restaurants in the area.

Long before the investments rolled in, black entrepreneurs pooled their money together because they saw the need for services within their own community, therefore THEY invested in it. They didn't wait for whites to do so, nor did they complain about not being accepted by the whites on the lower East and West sides of Manhattan.

Blacks on Strivers row, were just too busy creating the type of environment that suited their own needs. They didn't let the junkies, criminals or the project buildings deter their actions.

Last edited by MaryMary2012; 07-06-2012 at 11:02 AM..

Old 07-06-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Ok, but why are they expecting predominately white neighborhoods to welcome them with open arms? As I previously mentioned, people are going to be more careful and cautious around those who share the same color as persons prominently featured in the crime section of most of the major news reports.

Surely, if they are truly middle class, they have options. They CHOSE to live on the Northside, therefore they should learn to accept all that accompanies that particular decision. Crying and complaining won't change things. It's just odd to me, because if these guys truly want to feel welcome, they will create their own safe spaces amongst like-minded individuals who share their mindset. Why won't they band together and create their own business ventures on the South and/or West Side and encourage their middle class black male friends to do the same. If black men created safe spots with amenities, black college educated people (from all over the country) would surely flock to those areas. Harlem is a case in point.

Perhaps they live there because they want diversity as well? IDK, but why is it okay for yuppie Asians to move in an area where they are the minority and are welcomed, but young Black professionals can't have the same thing? I understand the stereotype fear thing, but the individual who is a "good Black", should never accept the "that's the way the ball bounces" attitude. It is a choice to live in any neighborhood, you are right. But if you choose to live in a place where you are a minority, it isn't excuse to accept be treated as "the dangerous other", if you act no different than the mainstream.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Perhaps they live there because they want diversity as well? IDK, but why is it okay for yuppie Asians to move in an area where they are the minority and are welcomed, but young Black professionals can't have the same thing? I understand the stereotype fear thing, but the individual who is a "good Black", should never accept the "that's the way the ball bounces" attitude. It is a choice to live in any neighborhood, you are right. But if you choose to live in a place where you are a minority, it isn't excuse to accept be treated as "the dangerous other", if you act no different than the mainstream.
You certainly have the right to live wherever you wish. I am simply stating that black guys need to stop complaining about racism when they select predominately white neighborhoods to reside in...

You'd like them to overlook the fact that most of the violent crime in Chicago is committed by black males, but the truth is, most will NEVER overlook it. If black males truly want to change the overall perception, they must learn to build/develop safe neighborhoods within their own communities.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
You certainly have the right to live wherever you wish. I am simply stating that black guys need to stop complaining about racism when they select predominately white neighborhoods to reside in...

You'd like them to overlook the fact that most of the violent crime in Chicago is committed by black males, but the truth is, most will NEVER overlook it. If black males truly want to change the overall perception, they must learn to build/develop safe neighborhoods within their own communities.
Can they commute in to help develop safe, thriving, communities, or must they sacrifice other aspects/interests in their lives that can be catered to in another neighborhood for the sake of uplifting their group? I guess it is always a weighing of the pros/cons of living in both environments, and what your strongest societal identifier is.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Can they commute in to help develop safe, thriving, communities, or must they sacrifice other aspects/interests in their lives that can be catered to in another neighborhood for the sake of uplifting their group? I guess it is always a weighing of the pros/cons of living in both environments, and what your strongest societal identifier is.
Their presence, even if it was just an hour every day, would make a huge difference. Far too many inner city children do not (personally) know any bona fide black professionals.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Their presence, even if it was just an hour every day, would make a huge difference. Far too many inner city children do not (personally) know any bona fide black professionals.
I agree with this. Not having anyone to show the way to a strong, positive career path can hamper the development of even the brightest child. Role models are needed in mass.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:36 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
It would be great if young, successful, black men and women can find the time and energy to mentor the kids in Englewood / west Englewood. No doubt, some do. If I was a young, educated black person, wanting to marry and raise a family, I do not beleive I would consider buying a home in my "old neighborhood" (west Englewood), It's just not 'safe". . . . ..
They should live where they wish to live, Englewood should have the resources to clean itself up (and yes, I know about RAGE and other groups who are working to do just that) It's going to be a long uphill battle, but it WILL happen!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
It would be great if young, successful, black men and women can find the time and energy to mentor the kids in Englewood / west Englewood. No doubt, some do. If I was a young, educated black person, wanting to marry and raise a family, I do not beleive I would consider buying a home in my "old neighborhood" (west Englewood), It's just not 'safe". . . . ..
They should live where they wish to live, Englewood should have the resources to clean itself up (and yes, I know about RAGE and other groups who are working to do just that) It's going to be a long uphill battle, but it WILL happen!
It would be great if middle/upper income black males helped to gentrify the area, and rid the neighborhood of the criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago