Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 12:03 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,529,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipGrant View Post
I said the popular trendy neighborhoods, LP, WP, Lakeview. Not from white people, but everyone even black women who work in these neighborhood. Like they have not seen a young black man before....what the heck is going on. This is my hometown and I don't remember it being so tense when it comes to black men. These are not old folks, these are people around my age, 30's or 40's
Media says black men are dangerous. So society believes it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 12:07 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,209,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
A high percentage of crime in Chicago is committed by black males. True story.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:13 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,776,400 times
Quote:
True, but...

This can also depend upon personal experiences with black males.

Examples: My son when he was in middle school rode his bike to soccer practices and went through a neighborhood with a bunch of black high schoolers. They stole his bike light right off his bike as he was riding. He had other experiences of being bullied by black kids at his high school because he was a small white nerd. Luckily, he also had experiences with good black friends on his soccer team.

My dh has only been mugged once by black males when he was coming home from the airport when we lived in uptown. The police rounded up the *usual suspects* and called my dh in to identify his mugger. They were surprised when he would not identify one of these teens because they were not the ones who did this. He was never bothered by any of the kids in the hood after that because they knew he would be honest and not identify someone on the basis of color.

These incidents could certainly have led to my son and dh being afraid of black men. That it did not is a testament to the fact that not everyone believes in generalizing from single events to an entire race of people.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:18 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,104,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
How is his clothing relevant?
Because maybe it was the shorts down to the heels, sideways hat, 500 tatoos and 3lbs of gold necklaces that scared these people, and not the person's skin color.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:19 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,291,078 times
Quote:
I find this notion dubious. I find the media to be pretty cautious in this regard. I mean for some reason, TV criminals are often Irish or Italian east coast guys, regardless of where the show is set. This does not make sense demographically or in any other way, but it's accepted because stereotyping Brooklyn types as criminals is politically "safe" and not loaded, the way casting a black man or even a white Southerner would be, and it's also not implausible, the way casting a woman or yuppie man would be.

I think people's racial apprehensions are based more on personal experiences of tensions and mistrust. Plus the reality that most categories of crime are not so evenly distributed.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
anyone doubting the extreme levels of racism in Chicago go read the chicago news report... it's pretty awful out there right now
That's a troll site. It's not relevant to this discussion or any other discussion.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
He/she posted a list of articles from peer-reviewed scientific journals. You responded with a list of blogs and newspaper opinion columns. 'Nuff said.
Not all "science" is created equal. An article full of pure speculation that cannot be tested is not truly scientific, regardless of who wrote it or where it was published.

I like that academia tries to be socially relevant and socially responsible, but it bothers me that intellectual integrity is sometimes lost in the process.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:25 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,833,969 times
The problem is that the credibility of peer-reviewed science is based on other scientists being abe to reproduce an experiment and to either confirm or disprove the result. You can do this pretty easily with chemistry. Biology, getting harder, physics, harder still. But sociology? It is damn near impossible, this is why economic theories are often rightfully called voodoo economics. If economics were science we'd all be wealthy by now. How do you set a "control" audience to test things like bigotry and individual prejudices when 1, we are all imperfect and a product of our environment and genetics and 2, the people making the claims are always doing science backwards, starting with a conclusion and only including data that proves it. Methodology is extremely important.

I say celebrate that we live an age where at least the officially-sanctioned racist policies are a pariah. Very few societies can claim to ever have gotten this far.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:00 PM

7,107 posts, read 8,887,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Because maybe it was the shorts down to the heels, sideways hat, 500 tatoos and 3lbs of gold necklaces that scared these people, and not the person's skin color.
That isn't what scares people. I'm very clean cut and scare people all the time. Like I said before it represents a ignorant segment of the population.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:02 PM

7,107 posts, read 8,887,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
True, but...

This can also depend upon personal experiences with black males.

Examples: My son when he was in middle school rode his bike to soccer practices and went through a neighborhood with a bunch of black high schoolers. They stole his bike light right off his bike as he was riding. He had other experiences of being bullied by black kids at his high school because he was a small white nerd. Luckily, he also had experiences with good black friends on his soccer team.

My dh has only been mugged once by black males when he was coming home from the airport when we lived in uptown. The police rounded up the *usual suspects* and called my dh in to identify his mugger. They were surprised when he would not identify one of these teens because they were not the ones who did this. He was never bothered by any of the kids in the hood after that because they knew he would be honest and not identify someone on the basis of color.

These incidents could certainly have led to my son and dh being afraid of black men. That it did not is a testament to the fact that not everyone believes in generalizing from single events to an entire race of people.
You are so right. I've had many bad experiences with White people. I'm smart enough to know you don't judge people by skin color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago