U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 12:04 AM

8,195 posts, read 8,208,250 times

Advertisements

I'm a little bit of a sociology nerd, so this sort of stuff interests me. Looking through the past City-data forum posts from people posting in the Chicago or Chicago Suburbs subforums who are either (1) moving to Chicago or (2) interested in moving to Chicago or (3) have moved to Chicago and wanting more information...it really does seem to be a cross section of the country. The past 100 or so posts fitting the above criteria have included quite a few people from CA, the East Coast, the South (particularly from TX, GA, and FL), the Pac. Northwest, etc. And several people from outside the country.

Based on my perception, a common conception both on this board and in real life is that Chicago, at least in terms of relocation, tends to mostly attract people from the rest of the Midwest. But that seems to be contraindicated by a lot of the postings here on CD. To be sure - a lot of the postings have been from people elsewhere in the Midwest, but certainly not so disproportionate as to render a conclusion that most people who relocate are from the Midwest. Also a lot of posters do not specify where they are coming from, which may also be a factor. But overall, it appears that more people from outside the Midwest are posting about relocating to Chicago than from elsewhere inside the Midwest.

Now that being said, it could also be that people from elsewhere in the Midwest who relocate to Chicago are less likely to post on C-D, perhaps because of more familiarity with the city and less need for information...but I just can't see that being such a pronounced factor as to really make that much of a difference.

Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Particularly Chicagoans with personal experience. Does Chicago really tend to primarily attract other Midwesterners?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 12:28 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,462,654 times
I think it has a lot to do with geographic convenience. Being the largest city in a given section of the country has the broadest appeal. I'm sure NYC has a greater sphere of influence to the cities around it just as I'm certain LA does as well.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:19 AM

320 posts, read 454,204 times
Definitely geographic convenience. I absolutely love LA and San Fran for example, but neither of them have the geographic convenience of being a 5 hr drive from the ho-hum whitopia I was raised in and my extended family lives.

What's challenging for me sometimes in that I don't quite know how to wrap my head around it is that I've definitely had my it's a small world after all moments here. I randomly ran into someone from junior high at a party one time, a friend from college who I lost touch with ended up here/etc. Also have the "cool Chicago connection" thing going on--one summer 8 out of the 12 weekends had some random various person/people contact me to visit me during their Chicago trip. So in a sense sometimes I can definitely tell I didn't get out of the Midwest, but nevertheless Chicago is a world class city and I've met people from all over the world here, which is what I was looking for when I came here. So, yeah geography definitely plays a role due to its proximity and convenience. If I were king of the universe and $$ wasn't a concern, would I live here if I could have the same quality of life elsewhere? IDK. But given the realities of my background, Chicago allows me to make the most out of the hand I've been dealt in life.

Last edited by Swandaddy; 06-23-2012 at 05:39 AM..

Old 06-23-2012, 07:13 AM

928 posts, read 1,565,397 times
Yes, it is true.

Whenever I meet a transplant, which is often, I can comfortably bet my next paycheck that the person is from some other Midwestern place. I have found this to be truly baffling, and started conducting some (highly unscientific) research asking transplants why not leave the Midwest? Their answers seem to be some combination of wanting to live in a bigger city without straying too far from home, and the perception that people on the coasts are "mean." I then started asking my friends and family back in LA where they'd move if they had to, and the number of times Chicago came up was precisely zero. The answers were always some place also on the west coast, or New York. There seems to be some perception of the Midwest as the middle of nowhere.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:15 AM

38,704 posts, read 95,512,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Yes, it is true.

Whenever I meet a transplant, which is often, I can comfortably bet my next paycheck that the person is from some other Midwestern place. I have found this to be truly baffling, and started conducting some (highly unscientific) research asking transplants why not leave the Midwest? Their answers seem to be some combination of wanting to live in a bigger city without straying too far from home, and the perception that people on the coasts are "mean." I then started asking my friends and family back in LA where they'd move if they had to, and the number of times Chicago came up was precisely zero. The answers were always some place also on the west coast, or New York. There seems to be some perception of the Midwest as the middle of nowhere.
Most of the "transplants" I encounter in my daily life aren't even from this country, much less this region of it. So I suppose my anecdotal experience cancels out yours.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:17 AM

928 posts, read 1,565,397 times
What is the percentage of American transplants you know from the Midwest vs. the rest of the country?

Old 06-23-2012, 07:44 AM

108 posts, read 264,390 times
if relocating (from another part of US), the majority who come have their roots in

Iowa
Ohio
Michigan
Wisconsin

Of course this list excludes immigration, which make up a huge %

Old 06-23-2012, 08:45 AM

3,569 posts, read 6,558,253 times
All the transplants I know are from mexico.
Depends where you live

Old 06-23-2012, 08:50 AM

13,406 posts, read 15,253,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorman View Post
if relocating (from another part of US), the majority who come have their roots in

Iowa
Ohio
Michigan
Wisconsin

Of course this list excludes immigration, which make up a huge %
Indiana has a huge presence here, and I am seeing more and more plates from Minnesota, Missouri and Nebraska.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:16 AM

13,406 posts, read 15,253,576 times
I work in an office of 22 people.

3 michigan
2 indiana
1 iowa
1 massachussets
1 new Hampshire
1 florida
1 oklahoma
2 india
1 russia
1 nigeria
the rest illinois

Last edited by Vlajos; 06-23-2012 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago