Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 07:24 AM

27 posts, read 92,311 times

Advertisements

When you're not familiar with the town outside of family vacations and the insides of buildings in the Loop when here on business, coupled with an upcoming business trip with only a few hours to spare each night, I'd rather not wander aimlesly. Just looking for some input before I get the chance to learn the lay of the land on my own!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 07:35 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,312 times
Jump in a cab, and have the driver take you to Lincoln and Sedgewick, walk North on Lincoln and walk into any bar.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:39 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownYoungProfessional View Post
When you're not familiar with the town outside of family vacations and the insides of buildings in the Loop when here on business, coupled with an upcoming business trip with only a few hours to spare each night, I'd rather not wander aimlesly. Just looking for some input before I get the chance to learn the lay of the land on my own!
Part of the "fun" and experience is learning the stuff on your own too and no matter how much advice we give you on here, it's going to happen for you anyway. I'd bet $50,000 on the fact that you will explore anyway.

And wandering aimlessly? There's a bar on every corner in Chicago in some neighborhoods. You wouldn't wander aimlessly anyway because it would be impossible in some areas to not run into a bar or club.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:50 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,835 times
My advice to the OP, is to get out there and explore every night (or, as many nights as possible). Hit up a different "street" every night that you can, go to a different bar every time. Check out different scenes...this is part of the fun of being in a city like Chicago, is that every night is a new adventure...

Old 06-28-2012, 12:04 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,269 times
If this is the OP I'm thinking of, he kind of set the tone when he wanted 'luxury high rise living for 3k/mo.'

Old 06-28-2012, 01:20 PM

27 posts, read 92,311 times
Yes, of course I'll explore on my own and can't wait for the chance to do so. I'm more than excited!

I just asked for specific bars and what not because the next time I'm in town I'll have a little time to do whatever but not enough to leisurely explore, unfortunately.

As far as the $3,000 a month that's our max... not something to take lightly so before I spring for a luxury high rise condo, which I may very well end up doing, I still want to explore different neighborhoods!

Old 06-29-2012, 10:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
You should probably just spend some time going out and see what you like. If you are the frat type you will be in LP and Lakeview a lot. River North is more club/lounge scene. Personally I'm 27 and feel pretty out of place at most LP bars but very at home in River North. The opposite might apply to you.

Most bars in Wrigleyville have absolutely nothing to do with any sports scene after 9pm at night. They are where 19-24 year olds go to ****-drunk and make bad decisions.

Bring a condom. Or two.
I always felt out of place in pretty much any Lakeview/Wrigleyville or LP bar... I agree, River North/River West has better venues for what I'm looking for at least. As does say, Wicker Park, Logan Square, UK Village...Basically anywhere BUT those areas.

Rush/Division is possibly the worst area.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:28 PM

183 posts, read 338,867 times
I sincerely do not mean to be snide, Chi-Guy, but upper 50k is not really considered making very good money in Chicago, even for a single guy. I'm 20 something years older than you, have a child, make nearly double that, I have what I need, but that's it.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 PM

13 posts, read 22,949 times
Bump... any more info on wicker park? Are the neighborhoods listed above noisy at night?

Old 08-07-2012, 08:51 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spokenword7 View Post
Bump... any more info on wicker park? Are the neighborhoods listed above noisy at night?
Wicker Park/Bucktown - Big bar scene that has more of a hipster/alternative vibe. All sorts of places here from trendy lounges to grungy dive joints. Best nightlife area in Chicago IMHO. Mosty a mid 20s to mid 30s scene.

This one summed that up.

Noisy at night? Depends how close to the busy streets you move. But they can be, if there's action and nightlife, there's well---action and nightlife.

I like the city noise though. If you want quiet, move to the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago