Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:07 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Chicago? Chain establishments? Say what? There aren't many chains here. The ones that are, are usually more fast food oriented things like Starbucks, McDonald's, Subway, etc. Restaurants? .
Interesting, my biggest complaint about The Near North Side is it's full of chain restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 09:11 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Interesting, my biggest complaint about The Near North Side is it's full of chain restaurants.
While not Near North, The Loop has a ton because it's office space, but near north? Really? Besides Chili's, Cheesecake Factory, and Hooter's, where else? I'm not talking about fast food here. The other chains that exist down in Near North are either very small chains 99% of people have no idea are even chains (i.e. Cantina Laredo), or are more expensive, better chains like Fogo de Chao, Texas de Brazil, etc. There's many more non chains than chains in near north.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:26 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
While not Near North, The Loop has a ton because it's office space, but near north? Really? Besides Chili's, Cheesecake Factory, and Hooter's, where else?
Hard Rock, Rock Bottom, Bar Louie, Texas de Brazil (which, sorry, everyone knows is a chain), Weber Grill, Rainforest Cafe, Fridays, Mortons...I'd continue but I'm bored. WAY too many chains in that area.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:35 AM

225 posts, read 755,506 times
Also in the Loop are Bennigan's and Cosi, to name a couple of chains. I'm not exactly keen on either of them, but generally speaking, locally-owned chains are okay with me.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Hard Rock, Rock Bottom, Bar Louie, Texas de Brazil (which, sorry, everyone knows is a chain), Weber Grill, Rainforest Cafe, Fridays, Mortons...I'd continue but I'm bored. WAY too many chains in that area.

I thought Friday's closed. Hard Rock and Rock Bottom I agree are chains. Most people have no idea Texas de Brazil even exists and when they do, they don't know it's a chain, sorry. Morton's is a very expensive.

I agree there are chains in the area, but if you take the number of other non chain restaurants in the area, they outweigh them. There's a reason most of the chains are only in a certain area of near north. It's for the tourists, but outside of that.....there's a ton of non chain places downtown.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:38 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I disagree completely. There are more local places in Chicago than many cities, thankfully, but there are plenty of chain bars and non-fast-food chain restaurants, too. Just a few that come to mind are Bar Louie, Tilted Kilt, Rock Bottom, Hard Rock, Chilli's, P.F. Changs, Hooters, Friday's, Cheesecake Factory...I could go on, but you get the idea.
Maybe in the tourist traps, or access of the suburban commuters, but go north of Chicago of Chicago ave, or west of Halsted (where most people actually live) and that's not the case.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:39 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brssplr View Post
Also in the Loop are Bennigan's and Cosi, to name a couple of chains. I'm not exactly keen on either of them, but generally speaking, locally-owned chains are okay with me.
Cosi is local, but it sucks.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brssplr View Post
Eh, Cosi is fast food. It's on the same level as Panera. Most of the "chain" places exist in a few very specific areas of near north. Where I live, besides McDonalds and Starbucks, there's no chains anywhere close to me.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:41 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
Can we consider JJ fish a chain?

Old 08-08-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Maybe in the tourist traps, or access of the suburban commuters, but go north of Chicago of Chicago ave, or west of Halsted (where most people actually live) and that's not the case.
Exactly. North of Chicago there's not many chains besides subway, mcdonalds, chipotle, and starbucks. The chains really exist in areas like in some areas of Streeterville, and the northern area of River North around the Rock and Roll McDonald's, and around State Street for a block where Rock Bottom is. Really a lot of them are where hotels exist or near it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago