Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:47 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Most people have no idea Texas de Brazil even exists and when they do, they don't know it's a chain, sorry.
Your "most people" must not be very well-traveled. It's in many states, all across the country. Their website shows 30 locations. I actually thought it was strictly a Texas chain for years because that was where I first saw them (3 in the DFW area alone) and because of the name. Why the hell would anyone think a place called Texas de Brazil was unique to Chicago? That would be like thinking Uno is unique to Phoenix.

Quote:
Morton's is a very expensive.
And that makes it less of a chain, how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
Quote:
Exactly. North of Chicago there's not many chains besides subway, mcdonalds, and starbucks. The chains really exist in areas like in some areas of Streeterville, and the northern area of River North around the Rock and Roll McDonald's, and around State Street for a block where Rock Bottom is.
There's La Pasadita, with the three locations on Ashland..That might be a chain.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:56 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
And that makes it less of a chain, how?
Let me state it this way. When I walk into Morton's, I don't feel like I'm in a chain. When I walk into a POS "restaurant" like Chili's, I feel like I'm in a chain. Make sense?

Old 08-08-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
There's La Pasadita, with the three locations on Ashland..That might be a chain.
True. Most things are "chains." Crap, Lou Malnati's has more than 2 locations. Did you know Le Colonial has more than 1 location in the US? Guess it's a "chain." So is the new Hash House a Go Go with 3 total locations in the US.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:00 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Let me state it this way. When I walk into Morton's, I don't feel like I'm in a chain. When I walk into a POS "restaurant" like Chili's, I feel like I'm in a chain. Make sense?
I'd agree with that. I'm still going to count it among the many many chain restaurants in that area, since it is one.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
Quote:
Because most of the negative associations people have are with casual dining restaurants, commonly referred to as chains.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:07 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Exactly. North of Chicago there's not many chains besides subway, mcdonalds, chipotle, and starbucks. The chains really exist in areas like in some areas of Streeterville, and the northern area of River North around the Rock and Roll McDonald's, and around State Street for a block where Rock Bottom is. Really a lot of them are where hotels exist or near it.
Good point, those places mainly exist for tourists. I mean who the hell goes to those places? I never do, nor do friends or family.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I'd agree with that. I'm still going to count it among the many many chain restaurants in that area, since it is one.
Right, but yeah. Even Le Colonial is technically a "chain" because it has 3 locations, but at the end of the day, it's not a "big chain" like an Olive Garden is. So I guess we can agree that there's varying levels of chains?

Old 08-08-2012, 10:11 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,668 times
Quote:
I would agree, but Morton's (or Ruths Chris) is the definition of an "expense account chain restaurant". Food is OK, but there is zero atmosphere, and no creativity on the menu (even for a Steak House).

Old 08-08-2012, 10:12 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I would agree, but Morton's (or Ruths Chris) is the definition of an "expense account chain restaurant". Food is OK, but there is zero atmosphere, and no creativity on the menu (even for a Steak House).
I've always felt a steakhouse is the worst way to spend a lot of money on a meal out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago