Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:15 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I've always felt a steakhouse is the worst way to spend a lot of money on a meal out.
+1 (unless it's on my companies dime)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 10:17 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Yep. Even Gibson's... I've paid $40 for a 14 oz there before and it wasn't even as good as some of the stuff I've made myself at home (no joke). I'm not even a great cook. It's just ridiculous that I can make a steak just as good if not better at home for $10 of the same size. They go into all this being aged BS, but at the end of the day, it's not even an amazing steak.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:22 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Even then, I'm going to go to Naha, Graham Elliott, North Pond or something more interesting.

The wine lists at steak places are marked up beyond belief most of the time. And way too much CA Cab, which is a wine abomination in general.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:37 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,831,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownYoungProfessional View Post
Yes, of course I'll explore on my own and can't wait for the chance to do so. I'm more than excited!

I just asked for specific bars and what not because the next time I'm in town I'll have a little time to do whatever but not enough to leisurely explore, unfortunately.

As far as the $3,000 a month that's our max... not something to take lightly so before I spring for a luxury high rise condo, which I may very well end up doing, I still want to explore different neighborhoods!
Did the OP ever find a place to live? UPDATE NEEDED!

Old 08-08-2012, 10:51 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,209,352 times
Quote:
I've always felt a steakhouse is the worst way to spend a lot of money on a meal out.
Absolutely. I've got a whole 10 lb. prime sirloin dry aging in the fridge right now, it cost $45 at Costco and when it's done aging will be better quality meat than most steakhouses serve.

I really like Blackbird and Cafe Spiaggia for business lunches, I wish I could expense more business dinners.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:52 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Right, but yeah. Even Le Colonial is technically a "chain" because it has 3 locations, but at the end of the day, it's not a "big chain" like an Olive Garden is. So I guess we can agree that there's varying levels of chains?
Of course. You'll notice I didn't list that one, though, or any other 3-location places. The ones I listed are nearly all BIG chains, and they're pretty dense in that area. My initial point was just that Chicago does indeed have a big presence of chain bars and non-fast-food places. I only focused in on that area when you said that there aren't many there, when in fact that is where they're most present.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Agreed. I think it's because I can make a pretty good steak at home for way less money and minimal effort. I can't make good sushi at home.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:56 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times
Quote:
Even then, I'm going to go to Naha, Graham Elliott, North Pond or something more interesting.

The wine lists at steak places are marked up beyond belief most of the time. And way too much CA Cab, which is a wine abomination in general.
Agree 100%, I was more saying if I am entertaining customers. Steakhouses are a safe bet when you do not know what others tastes will be.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Agree 100%, I was more saying if I am entertaining customers. Steakhouses are a safe bet when you do not know what others tastes will be.
Interesting. I actually think they're one of the worst for entertaining random people, because they tend to not have many options, especially for non-meat-eaters.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:01 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Got it, I still don't take my clients to steakhouses.

I don't give them that as an option. If I'm going to spend hundreds of $s of my company's money, I want to enjoy myself as well. There is always red meat on a good restaurant menu anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago