Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 11:10 AM

4 posts, read 3,489 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I used to live as a student in Streeterville till earlier this year and will be returning in October for my new job. My office is located near Millennium Park and I will probably have crazy hours at work. Also:

1. My budget is $1600 for a 1 BR/Loft. Can stretch it to $1700 if the unit is something I really like.
2. Will not have a car so will depend on cabs/CTA for commutes. As I mentioned earlier, my work hours are going to be pretty much crazy so I may have to cab it quite a few times each week.
3. While I would like to live in a nice cozy neighborhood like Lincoln Park, my priorities are points 1 & 2 above.
4. The apartment does not have to be spectacular, but it should atleast not feel like a dorm (and that's a problem with many of the "value" apartments in downtown). Something that you would like to come back to after a long day at work.
4. A view of the lake/access to the jogging trail is a plus.

Any thoughts on the neighborhoods and buildings that I should be looking at? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 11:20 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
If you want a loft, I would say either River North or West Loop/Fulton Market areas. I think West Loop might have more of that than River North (?)

Here some buildings in the West Loop for lofts:
West Loop Chicago Condos and Lofts | Chicago Real Estate

I know of some lofts in Old Town as well. I'm not sure though, how many of these are up for rent as a lot seem to be condos. If you have trouble finding them, you might have to look via Craigslist for ones to rent out.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:39 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
Old town has a few lofts too. Printers row might work as well.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:54 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
You want a view AND jogging trails and have a humongous budget of $1600 ? The only way I would guess that you get a view is if you mean of a local school's play lot... The studenty stuff in Streeterville was not all always dorms, but the those studios /efficiencies were built at a time when people had pretty low expectations. Views of Lake Michigan or even Lincoln Park generally are not the only thing that gets "upgraded" when you have more to spend. Developers that did loft conversions realized it was / is more profitable to give people stuff like SS appliances and bigger closets than raw space.

The real "high end" places that have health clubs or similar tend to target condo buyers instead of renters, as the variable costs that go along with staff and equipment changes are better dealt with through assessents than rent. If you do find a desperate condo owner turned involuntary landlord know what you are getting in to...

Old 07-05-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
If you want a loft, I would say either River North or West Loop/Fulton Market areas. I think West Loop might have more of that than River North (?)

Here some buildings in the West Loop for lofts:
West Loop Chicago Condos and Lofts | Chicago Real Estate

I know of some lofts in Old Town as well. I'm not sure though, how many of these are up for rent as a lot seem to be condos. If you have trouble finding them, you might have to look via Craigslist for ones to rent out.
Thanks for the leads. Is the $1700 limit too low for a loft in the West Loop/ River North?

Old 07-05-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
You want a view AND jogging trails and have a humongous budget of $1600 ? The only way I would guess that you get a view is if you mean of a local school's play lot... The studenty stuff in Streeterville was not all always dorms, but the those studios /efficiencies were built at a time when people had pretty low expectations. Views of Lake Michigan or even Lincoln Park generally are not the only thing that gets "upgraded" when you have more to spend. Developers that did loft conversions realized it was / is more profitable to give people stuff like SS appliances and bigger closets than raw space.

The real "high end" places that have health clubs or similar tend to target condo buyers instead of renters, as the variable costs that go along with staff and equipment changes are better dealt with through assessents than rent. If you do find a desperate condo owner turned involuntary landlord know what you are getting in to...
I said it would be a plus. Can't hurt to ask, can it? But your point on the high-end places targeting condo buyers instead of renters is well taken. That's one of the reasons why I am looking for advice on where to look for non-studenty 1 BR/lofts in the downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: