Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 07:44 AM

10 posts, read 13,651 times

Advertisements

Hi, folks. First post. I did what I could to search for a topic about this already before jumping in so if I missed a thread I apologize.

I'm looking at relocating to Chicago, but I don't yet have a job lined up. I'm running into the classic Catch-22 of needing to be a local candidate to be considered for a local position.

In Chicago, what chance does a 25 year old with a Bachelor's degree and 3 years of customer service plus one year of management experience in a large office environment (a call center) have in lining up something that's:

- Full time
- About $30,000 a year or slightly better
- Not in tech, specialized banking and finance, or a skilled trade

I have about $15,000 of cash on hand and I've accepted that I'll be living with roommates if I hope to be in a decent neighborhood in the city near transit at about $500/month between rent and utilities. That should buy me about 3 or 4 months on my job hunt.

In the Chicago economy, is 3 or 4 months a realistic time frame to land a job or should I expect a fairly long, painful slog before getting settled into employment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 08:02 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solrosor View Post
Hi, folks. First post. I did what I could to search for a topic about this already before jumping in so if I missed a thread I apologize.

I'm looking at relocating to Chicago, but I don't yet have a job lined up. I'm running into the classic Catch-22 of needing to be a local candidate to be considered for a local position.

In Chicago, what chance does a 25 year old with a Bachelor's degree and 3 years of customer service plus one year of management experience in a large office environment (a call center) have in lining up something that's:

- Full time
- About $30,000 a year or slightly better
- Not in tech, specialized banking and finance, or a skilled trade

I have about $15,000 of cash on hand and I've accepted that I'll be living with roommates if I hope to be in a decent neighborhood in the city near transit at about $500/month between rent and utilities. That should buy me about 3 or 4 months on my job hunt.

In the Chicago economy, is 3 or 4 months a realistic time frame to land a job or should I expect a fairly long, painful slog before getting settled into employment?
$500/month between rent at utilities in a decent neighborhood between rent AND utilities. I would bump that up to at least $550-$600 to be honest after utilities, or more on up to $650. Add in your phone, and it'll go up a little more. It is great though you have $15,000 in cash if you plan to move here without a job.

Everything depends on what your line of work is. Each city is different, and some are thriving, some are not in certain areas. You mention Finance/banking, so there are many financial institutions in Chicago. The fact you have 3 years experience and a bachelor's helps a lot. If you do land the call center job here, I'm not sure what the pay is honestly, but $30k seems a little low for someone with a BS and 3 years experience with 1 year of management experience. I could be wrong though.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
$500/month between rent at utilities in a decent neighborhood between rent AND utilities. I would bump that up to at least $550-$600 to be honest after utilities, or more on up to $650. Add in your phone, and it'll go up a little more. It is great though you have $15,000 in cash if you plan to move here without a job.

Everything depends on what your line of work is. Each city is different, and some are thriving, some are not in certain areas. You mention Finance/banking, so there are many financial institutions in Chicago. The fact you have 3 years experience and a bachelor's helps a lot. If you do land the call center job here, I'm not sure what the pay is honestly, but $30k seems a little low for someone with a BS and 3 years experience with 1 year of management experience. I could be wrong though.
My experience is basically:

- Some restaurant and customer service work in college.
- Took phone calls for two years at a call center out of college, handled customer escalations and trained call center reps on sales and customer service for 6 months.
- I've been a salaried manager in the call center business for the last 14 months.

I have a BA in Political Science, with some Japanese language background that included a brief stint in the Tokyo suburbs.

The way I see it, my experience makes me a pretty good administrative/office generalist who can do scheduling, workforce management, and just about any supporting role for just about any office environment.

Since I don't have some kind of technical specialization, I figure starting off in some kind of entry level situation at about $30 to $35,000 is pretty realistic even with a degree.

I'm glad $15,000 sounds like a realistic cash reserve. That makes me feel like what I'm doing is a little less crazy than I originally assumed.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:20 AM

103 posts, read 225,124 times
you mentioned call center and customer service, how would you feel about cold calling / inside sales?

Old 06-30-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanTheman88 View Post
you mentioned call center and customer service, how would you feel about cold calling / inside sales?
I might be open to it.

The contractor I currently work for does some outbound sales projects, though my own experience has all been in inbound calls.

I'm not terribly picky. It depends a little bit on the business I'd be supporting (i.e. whether the company I'm working for is legit/stable), what the product is, what the base wage is like, and what the sales/conversion targets look like.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanTheman88 View Post
Quote:
I might be open to it.

The contractor I currently work for does some outbound sales projects, though my own experience has all been in inbound calls.

I'm not terribly picky. It depends a little bit on the business I'd be supporting (i.e. whether the company I'm working for is legit/stable), what the product is, what the base wage is like, and what the sales/conversion targets look like.
And obviously commission potential.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:20 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
My experience is basically:

- Some restaurant and customer service work in college.
- Took phone calls for two years at a call center out of college, handled customer escalations and trained call center reps on sales and customer service for 6 months.
- I've been a salaried manager in the call center business for the last 14 months.

I have a BA in Political Science, with some Japanese language background that included a brief stint in the Tokyo suburbs.

The way I see it, my experience makes me a pretty good administrative/office generalist who can do scheduling, workforce management, and just about any supporting role for just about any office environment.

Since I don't have some kind of technical specialization, I figure starting off in some kind of entry level situation at about $30 to $35,000 is pretty realistic even with a degree.

I'm glad $15,000 sounds like a realistic cash reserve. That makes me feel like what I'm doing is a little less crazy than I originally assumed.
Ah I see. Yeah..wish I knew more. You have been a salaried manager in a call center for the last 14 months which is good. I think you'll get in the least $30k/year. It really depends on what company you go to, what they have you do, etc.

$15,000 is good really. Even if you went out twice a weekend spending $100/night, paid $600 in rent + $50 in utilities, then another $70 for cell phone, $80/month in public transit, and had $20 of eating out/day, and $100 in groceries a month....

You'd last almost 7 months on that money assuming no other debt.

Now pretend you spend $600 month/rent. Go out twice a week only spending $20/night, get $150/month in groceries, and maybe $150/month eating out, $80 for public transit (that's an unlimited pass btw), $70 for cell phone...

That would last you a year assuming no other debt.

My advice to you though is to find an area that is cheap to rent (i.e. a Ravenswood, Lincoln Square, Irving Park, Edgewater, Andersonville, etc) and close to public transit so you can ditch your car if you do have one.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:45 AM

103 posts, read 225,124 times
pm sent

Old 06-30-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Ah I see. Yeah..wish I knew more. You have been a salaried manager in a call center for the last 14 months which is good. I think you'll get in the least $30k/year. It really depends on what company you go to, what they have you do, etc.

$15,000 is good really. Even if you went out twice a weekend spending $100/night, paid $600 in rent + $50 in utilities, then another $70 for cell phone, $80/month in public transit, and had $20 of eating out/day, and $100 in groceries a month....

You'd last almost 7 months on that money assuming no other debt.

Now pretend you spend $600 month/rent. Go out twice a week only spending $20/night, get $150/month in groceries, and maybe $150/month eating out, $80 for public transit (that's an unlimited pass btw), $70 for cell phone...

That would last you a year assuming no other debt.

My advice to you though is to find an area that is cheap to rent (i.e. a Ravenswood, Lincoln Square, Irving Park, Edgewater, Andersonville, etc) and close to public transit so you can ditch your car if you do have one.
This is all extremely helpful information, I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to lay that all out for me. Incidentally, $80 for an unlimited pass is a steal for a transit system that big. That's great. I have some monthly student loans that I'm paying off, and I'm an extremely light drinker so it would seem that I'd be able to last a good while without an enormous hit to quality of life until I get something set up, which is good news.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:05 PM

4 posts, read 6,692 times
Quote:
I would not call Lincoln Square, Ravenswood and Andersonville cheap to rent for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago