Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2007, 05:13 PM

4 posts, read 15,088 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just moved to Des Plaines from out of state to start a new position at
676 Michigan Ave. (Michigan Ave./Huron St.).

Since my husband and I have only one car (which he is going to use for his commute to the suburbs),I will have to take public transportation.
I apologize in advance for stupid questions but I never had to use train/bus before.

So, please can anyone help me to figure out the fastest/best way from the
Des Plaines Metra Station to my job location?
I have to be at work at 7:15 am.

Thank you much for helping!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 09:36 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Metra / Union Pacific Northwest Monday - Friday Inbound

Looks like you can snag the 5:54 or the 6:21 in Des Plaines and that'll get you to Ogilve Station by 6:35 or 7:02. Ogilve is bordered by (I think) Madison, Canal, Clinton, and Randolph. From there, I'd take a cab. That depends on whether or not you'd be willing to spend a couple extra bucks every day. I'd imagine it'd be about a 5 dollar cab ride from Ogilve to your office each way. Otherwise, unless someone else here knows something I don't, you'd either have to walk a pretty long way or take two buses.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:47 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
you can also find train/bus schedules for when you get into chicago at Chicago Transit Authority | 1-888-YOURCTA
You can enter your start and ending adress and they'll tell you how to get there

Old 09-29-2007, 06:03 PM

Thank you very much to both of you.
I like the idea of taking a cab from Ogilve to the office and I will also check out
the Chicago Transit schedule.
You put my mind on ease!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:06 AM

145 posts, read 643,622 times
l live right across from where you will be working (assume you will be working for Hotel Omni). I cab almost everyday from there to the loop and it is almost never less than $7. This morning it was $8, for e.g. due to barely rainy weather which somehow slows down all traffic everywhere. Bus 151 also takes you directly from there to Union station but since you will be coming into Ogilve, I don't know if there is a direct bus to that. If you have to be in the office by 7:15, I would plan on being at Ogilve no later than 6:35 am as even a cab ride can be 10-15 minutes and the bus will be even longer. I feel for you because you are looking at a roughly 1.5+ hour commute every day and multiple changes of transportation. Having said all that, welcome to Chicago!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:14 PM

Desibear,

Thank you for your reply, it is highly appreciated.
I will be working for a consulate which is in the Omni Building. I am not happy about that commute. A 20 minute car ride was the longest I ever had to do. I thought about getting a second car and driving into Chicago. Unfortunatly the parking fees are very high ($200-230 per month), plus the expressways are always a mess. Well, I have to see how it goes. Perhaps it would have been smarter to get a place in Chicago than living out in the suburbs.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:25 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Where in the suburbs will your husband be working? Even if you moved closer in towards the city you could cut an enormous amount of time from your commute. Maybe others will disagree, but in my experience it seems that for every 5 miles you get away from the city you're adding probably 15 minutes to your commute in traffic. So if you lived just 10 miles closer.. well you could be at home a lot more.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:39 PM

aragx6, thanks for your reply.
My husband's firm is in Itasca. We already signed a lease and paid the security deposit for Des Plaines. If we were to break the lease, we would lose $1300, not so good!
I just have to deal with it, might not be forever, who knows if I like it there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago