Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 7,529 times

Advertisements

I am engaged and my fiance and I will begin living together this August. I currently live on the border of Chicago and Elmwood Park near Diversey and Harlem. I work in a high school near kedzie/ogden and my fiance works in the south suburbs by Richton Park. We need a middle ground and it looks like we will be moving south. I am used to living west, previously in Westchester, Lombard, and now Chicago by Elmwood (slightly north). I rent a 2 bed 1 bath condo, granite, stainless steel, hardwood, in unit laundry, and heated garage for $1295... all utilities included except electric. I was hoping to find the same thing for about the same price and we haven't had much luck. We started in Oak Lawn but the rent was 1600 no utilities included for what we have now. So I have been looking and found a place off of Western a little past archer. I think the address is 4009 S Western. It's a new condo built in 2008. The place is really great but I am concerned about the area/location. I think it is Brighton Park? It is safe? I don't want to move to a bad area because the place is nice and rent is reasonable $1,300. Any suggestions? I found another place in Berwyn (not much of middle ground) but only carpeting which becomes problematic for my asthma. I have also been told that Berwyn can be pretty racist towards African Americans. I am not sure if this is true or not. I am lost I don't know where to live that will be a middle ground, safe, and affordable. Any help or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 10:29 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,164,534 times
Sounds awfully high for not a great area, but I suppose if having your wishlist checked off is important and you can afford the bill its only money...

Do you have to live inside the City? Kedzie & Ogden is a long way from Richton Park, is bf going to take Dan Ryan down or try for 294? Maybe Garfield Ridge would be a little bit easier commute. Not sure about the costs or welcoming factor though... If you can live in the burbs mmaybe Burbank would be a little more affordable.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,529 times
Thanks Chet! No we don't have to live in the city. I will look into Burbank adn Garfield Ridge maybe that is a good option. I was thinking the same thing about the price. The unit is nice but I won't pay that price to live in a not so good area... if it is in fact not so good. I think he will take whatever method is most convenient based upon where we live so both 294 or Dan Ryan are up for grabs. I just want something, safe, affordable and somewhat updated. We are still in our 20's so having stuff to do around us would be nice too.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,959,730 times
Western Avenue I believe is the border between Brighton Park and McKinley Park. McKinley Park is a decent little neighborhood; Brighton Park is not. Railroad tracks can make for rather effective fortifications between good and not-so-good areas, particularly when it's a raised embankment such as the one that separates Brighton Park from McKinley Park. And this section of Western happens to be on the "wrong" side of the tracks. That immediate block probably isn't so bad right now and if you were literally on the other side of the tracks I'd say go for it. But given that this apartment is right on the edge of a not-nice area and not particularly convenient for your fiance's commute, I'd say to keep looking; I second the Garfield Ridge/Clearing area suggestion.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:18 PM

801 posts, read 2,560,782 times
I saw a lot of listings on CL in your price range in Hyde Park. Rents have really gone up in the city. A few years ago you could have had so many more options.

Hyde Park might work, it's a healthy, diverse neighborhood and it's probably equidistant between each of your jobs.

There was one listing in the Tri-Taylor - UIC Medical Center area. That's another good choice. From the photos it looks like a very cool older building on the 800 block of South Claremont with hardwood floors and a fireplace. $1300 must be the floor for buildings in that area and it goes up from there. You would be super close to work, and your fiancee would have a longer drive, but better than what she would have where you are now.

Hyde Park and Tri-Taylor would be my recommendations. If it was me, I would give the nod to Tri-Taylor because I find that area is very urbane, lots of professionals, good schools, and some very active community organizations, plus the universities.

There were a few Oak Lawn listings, and some in GR/Clearing. Please don't take this as a "no" but the truth is that Oak Lawn and GR/Clearing aren't the most friendly places in terms of race relations. It's been 12 years since I lived in the SW suburbs so other posters can tell you if that has changed for the better.

I wouldn't recommend Brighton/McKinley Park. The location would be convenient, but the gangs and violence have really taken over much of that area. My friend's mom still lives in Brighton Park a few blocks west of where you are looking, and we worry about her.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:47 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,040,296 times
Homewood is about ten to fifteen minutes north of Richton Park. And conevenient to kiddie/Odgen. It's safe, has lots of amenities and I wouldn't worry about it being racist to African Americans. You can also look into Beverly.

As for Berwyn suppsedly being racist... Wow. I know Trayvon Martin was shot down by a Mexican but that's harsh, man.. Lol. Although I am recommending that you stay south, I wouldn't worry too much about Berwyn being racist against AAs..

Old 07-18-2012, 10:28 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,426,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Homewood is about ten to fifteen minutes north of Richton Park. And conevenient to kiddie/Odgen. It's safe, has lots of amenities and I wouldn't worry about it being racist to African Americans. You can also look into Beverly.

As for Berwyn suppsedly being racist... Wow. I know Trayvon Martin was shot down by a Mexican but that's harsh, man.. Lol. Although I am recommending that you stay south, I wouldn't worry too much about Berwyn being racist against AAs..
I know, jeez. This isn't 1959 where the Bay City Rollers or whatever gang was in charge. Berwyn is arguably more diverse than Oak Park. It has a range of people from young professionals, to working class Hispanics, to African-Americans of all sorts of income levels, to the third largest concentration of LGBT persons in the state. You'll be fine there.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:31 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,164,534 times
Default Lots to agree with...

Diversity is a funny thing. Turn back the calendar a few decades and towns that probably would seemed like they were stuck in a previous generation ( or maybe embedded in amber like the Jurasic Park storyline...) have been "integrated" simply by the natural forces of the market . Berwyn is nice town with a good range of solid housing options, easy commute to lots of employment centers and generally both safer and more affordable than its more frequently mentioned neighbors. Sure there are downsides, both for a newly co-habitating couple with a pretty extensive wish list and not particularly huge budget it is defiantely worth checking out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I know, jeez. This isn't 1959 where the Bay City Rollers or whatever gang was in charge. Berwyn is arguably more diverse than Oak Park. It has a range of people from young professionals, to working class Hispanics, to African-Americans of all sorts of income levels, to the third largest concentration of LGBT persons in the state. You'll be fine there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago