Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,353 times

Advertisements

As the post indicates, I am a young white male and considering moving into the Auburn Gresham neighborhood. I was born in raised in a SW suburb of Chicago so I am somewhat familiar with the different areas of the city.

I have been looking for an affordable fixer-upper home in Chicago that has lots of character (historic home, to say the least) and have been scrutinizing real estate listings off and on for about 8 months now. There is a home that seems to be exactly what I was looking for a few blocks SW of 79th & Halsted. I have been to the home to check it out a few times now and while the residential streets are fairly well kept, I can see why people might be afraid of the area.

Now, being the only white person wouldn't bother me--also, I am single and without kids so healthcare/education in the area is of little concern to me. The house has its own brick garage, fenced yard, and security system so I would feel secure for the most part and would probably do most of my shopping in either Chatham or Evergreen Park.

Like I said, I have been to the house a few times and have walked the perimeter and along the block and didn't sense anything alarming but I really have no prolonged experience in the area. Would I have to live in fear, or would I be targeted as a white person? I have read a lot about some of the progress that Auburn Gresham has made in the past ten years but also am very much aware of the crime logs and stats for the neighborhood. Does anyone have a good sense of the area, and be willing to provide some insight? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 01:54 AM

15 posts, read 27,776 times
To be honest that area of Chicago is a dump. But are you an investor looking for fixer uppers? Not an area that is going to experience any gentrification soon. Maybe in a decade or two. My dad and I are very much into the real estate game and it's an easy yet hard nut to crack. The nearest property we own is located in Pullman. I would suggest to invest in Pullman, it's gentrifying fast. Also you'll make pretty good profits. Everything is so damn cheap. Your loooking for historic homes? You'll love Pullman tons of late to mid 1800's rowhomes. They are very beautiful, they just need some maintance. Their so damn cheap too they sell about for 85k to 150k. I dont fear the area but let's just say I wont live around their just yet.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:55 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Have fun.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:34 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,458,810 times
What's the obsession with that part of the city? I grew up not far from there and on occassion pass through the neighborhood and it's not a place I would choose to invest/live. But it's not our opinion that matters and the fact that you've asked the questions give the impression you're looking for reasons to live elsewhere.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:37 AM

8,438 posts, read 12,121,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Native 773 View Post
To be honest that area of Chicago is a dump.
Well, I would not call it a dump. Further, I saw white kids walking around in the area yesterday.

Anyone seeking to make an investment in property, and a sweat investment in work, needs to do a significant amount of research before taking the plunge. I think the OP should visit the area frequently and talk with local realtors if the poster is serious.

If folks live in the area then it has some value to some individuals. Calling an area a "dump" is not helpful at all and says much about the poster.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:47 AM

7 posts, read 34,738 times
Two white families just moved into the Chatam Club (Chatam) neighborhood not to long ago. They were welcomed with open arms. I guess they see the potential.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:37 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,663,783 times
Go there on a weekend night when it's warm out and you'll get a feel for the neighborhood quickly.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:46 PM

526 posts, read 1,053,926 times
I would suggest that you buy a home closer to let's say 79th between Cicero and Pulaski. You'll be fairly closer to Eveergreen Park, Oak Lawn, Burbank, and of course your still in the City.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:23 PM

303 posts, read 574,919 times
I be over there and that area isn't safe. I think like 5 people been killed just in the past 6 monthes.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:10 PM

240 posts, read 462,603 times
Vortex, I think it's great that you're keeping an open-mind when looking for a place in Chicago, and even better that you're looking in the City instead of the burbs. Sadly, Auburn Gresham is a neighborhood that is really struggling with gang presence, and therefore its crime rate is very high compared to other city neighborhoods. (Chicago Police Department CLEARMAP - Crime Summary)

Furthermore, as a young, single male, I don't think there's a lot in the neighborhood that would entice me in terms of amenities. Maybe you're married to your car, but I personally like the idea of easy access to public transit and once again, unfortunately, Auburn Gresham falls far short in this area.

If the southwest side is particularly alluring to you, may I make a few suggestions:

CLEARING/GARFIELD RIDGE
-These neighborhoods surround Midway airport to the north/west (Garfield Ridge) and south/west (Clearing). There's something of a strip of nightlife along Archer Avenue as well. The neighborhood is heavily populated by city employees and are two of the safest neighborhoods in the whole city. Also, there's nearby access to the Orange Line at Midway.

ARCHER HEIGHTS
-Safe, middle-class neighborhood. Heart of it is essentially 47th & Pulaski. Fairly diverse (67% Hispanic, 33% White). Access to Orange Line at Pulaski.

MCKINLEY PARK
-The geographic center of Chicago, so fairly accessible to every neighborhood by car. Small neighborhood on the rise with some gentrification. That's good for investment purposes. Among the city's safer neighborhoods too, and you don't hear a lot about it. Access to two Orange line stations (Ashland and 35th/Archer). Also, there's a burgeoning arts and nightlife scene immediately east in neighboring Bridgeport and, since you're a southwestern suburbanite, will be in close proximity to the Sox! Fairly diverse too (60% Hispanic, 30% White, 7% Asian). I would really consider McKinley Park if I was looking to invest in the southwest side.

Good luck to you, sir! Please let us know how your home search goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago