Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,437 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are relocating to Chicago at the end of the month for his work and are at a stand-still in our rental search. We're in a difficult position of signing a lease sight-unseen because we're moving from California and are unable to visit to view properties prior to the move. We visited a few months back when we found out we'd be moving there, but there is only so much you can see in 3 short days when it's your first time ever going there.

We were originally looking at the Western suburbs (Naperville area) because there was so much out there within our price range (up to $1400). Now with getting beat to applying to so many places, we're looking elsewhere. We would absolutely love a loft-style apartment or something closer to the city, but we literally do not know anything about Chicago or the surrounding cities and do not know a soul there to point us in a right direction.

We're looking for at least a 1 bedroom rental, up to $1400 a month, balcony, in unit W/D. Open to suburbs or the city. Don't want to be more than an hour from the city. He travels often, which is why we were looking in the Western suburbs so he was closer to the airports.

We mainly focused on Naperville because we haven't read a bad thing about it, but we're open to hearing anything closer! We do need secured parking because he has a lot of expensive camera gear for his job - so is it unrealistic to even look in the city then?

He will travel all over, so it doesn't really matter where we are located and I will be working remotely for the time being as well. So commute isn't necessarily something we have to worry about as far as being close to certain lines, etc.

We really liked Elmhurst when we visited (lady we met for a business meeting showed us around there), but there isn't much available. We would love that city-like feel (if we can't actually live in the city), so a little downtown, bars, restaurants, shops close by, NOT too diverse. We're in our mid-20s, no kids, no pets, like going out, both professionals.

Any help or insight that anyone has would help us out so so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 03:41 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Mid 20s, married, no kids or pets, and like going out. Okay, Naperville is probably not right for you. It's a nice city, don't get me wrong, but based on what you're telling us, I think you'd be better off in the city. Naperville is a type of place where a lot of families live. I know many, many people who have relocated to Naperville only because they started having kids. That's the type of place it is. Of course, where will your husband be working when not traveling? That will help determine a little. Even if he is traveling out of O'Hare or Midway airports, being at least close-ish to the Blue Line or Orange Line is helpful (even if you have to do a short transfer from another train line or bus). Traffic in Chicago can be bad at times, especially on the freeway, so even if travel is paid for, sometimes it's a lot easier to take the train than take a taxi/private limo car.

For $1400/month, you could probably be in any neighborhood of the city for a 1 bedroom, but not any building. Be careful about that. There's a lot of competition for renting in the city now, so yeah you have to do your homework. I actually am like you and rented a place without actually visiting it. Did a ton of homework. I live in the Gold Coast, have a 25th floor view, and pay a little over $1300/month. I can walk outside and have tons of options available to me (including Michigan Avenue a block away) on places to eat, drink, shop, be entertained, etc. I'm also right near about 3 bus stops and a major train line. If you want a loft, I'm not sure the rents on them. A lot of lofts are for purchase, but if you're dead set on one, you'd have to look in the West Loop, River North, Printers Row/South Loop, or Old Town neighborhoods. All of these are downtown or close to downtown. Other places that have lofts might be Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village, parts of Lakeview, etc.

For in unit washer/dryer, it might be a tad bit harder. I'd say the nicer rental buildings or condo buildings have it, and probably a house/duplex will have it. Worst case scenario is going to a laundry room on the 2nd floor of your building.

Will you plan on keeping a car? The nice thing about Chicago is that there is a ton of public transit, including 8 train lines that go a lot of places, and you don't even need a car depending on where you live. I got rid of mine, and have barely needed it. Not to mention, if you live in a high rise with a private garage, parking is not free and costs $$$$.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,437 times
He does freelance work and is launching the market in Chicago for his company, so there aren't really any specifics for where he'll be working. We were just told to be within about 45 minutes of downtown. Whenever he is traveling locally, he will drive everywhere due to all of his gear. He could fly out of any airport.

We have 2 cars, a company one that we have to keep, and then the other I guess we wouldn't have to. It is brand new and we wouldn't really want to get rid of it right now because I will eventually look for work in Chicago and cannot say what that commute would be like with or without a car.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRookie View Post
He does freelance work and is launching the market in Chicago for his company, so there aren't really any specifics for where he'll be working. We were just told to be within about 45 minutes of downtown. Whenever he is traveling locally, he will drive everywhere due to all of his gear. He could fly out of any airport.

We have 2 cars, a company one that we have to keep, and then the other I guess we wouldn't have to. It is brand new and we wouldn't really want to get rid of it right now because I will eventually look for work in Chicago and cannot say what that commute would be like with or without a car.
That's cool and makes it easier at least. Within 45 minutes of downtown depends on the time of day and where you're coming from, etc. I would still suggest living in the city based on your situation, although if you're going to keep a car or two downtown and don't want to pay the outrageous parking fees (i.e. my place charges $185-$215/month), I'd suggest you live a little away from downtown.

A few areas then I'd suggest would be Lakeview, Wicker Park, Bucktown, or Ukrainian Village. Lakeview is on the North Side and there is a lot to do there. Lot of green space in areas and stuff, but a ton of restaurants, bars, and entertainment (like comedy clubs, concert venues). This is where Wrigley Field is too (where the Cubs play). A lot of transit goes through here and has shopping boutiques in a number of places. Watch the video on this page:

Lakeview in Chicago - Apartments in Lakeview

Bucktown, Wicker Park, and Ukrainian Village are all west/Northwest of downtown. Again, a lot of nightlife and restaurants in the area. Used to be Hipster central, but it's not as much anymore, but some hipster hangouts still exist. There's a number of different things. My favorite cocktail lounge in the city is there (Violet Hour). One of the top music venues is in the area too (Congress Theater) with some other smaller ones (like Double Door). I'd say it's a little more artsy than Lakeview, but Lakeview has its pockets still of Artsy. There's a lot of nice, newer construction too for single family homes or duplexes in the areas. Modern feel kind of. The Blue Line (which goes directly to O'Hare) goes through these neighborhoods too. I would say actually that Wicker Park area has one of the best nightlife areas in the entire city. A lot of tourists will go downtown to River North/Gold Coast, but this area is just as good. Maybe not as many dance clubs as downtown, but the amount of people out every night and variety is pretty great. The whole corner of North/Milwaukee/Damen is hopping, to say the least, and going down North or Milwaukee just continues the same thing. There is some nice shopping in the area too (i.e. on Damen Avenue, a little north of Milwaukee Avenue, or spread in other places). One place you'll see for clothing in Chicago a lot is Akira, which is a Chicago based line with many stores/stock in many stores in the area. Some good stuff comes out of there. I do know one of the founders lives in Wicker Park (http://www.shopakira.com/)

Wicker Park in Chicago - Apartments in Wicker Park

Another area is Logan Square, although that is a little more hipster than the others, but kind of gentrifying.

All these areas you should be able to maybe get zone parking (which is like $25/year, but you have to register your car in Chicago, convert the plates over to Illinois, etc) if you don't have a private one already.

Last edited by marothisu; 07-07-2012 at 04:53 PM..

Old 07-07-2012, 04:35 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
Parts of Lakeview and parts of Bucktown can have parking issuses(i.e. not enough street parking). Not to rule them out, but do check out the parking situation in thoose areas.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Parts of Lakeview and parts of Bucktown can have parking issuses(i.e. not enough street parking). Not to rule them out, but do check out the parking situation in thoose areas.
It is true for sure, but you will still be paying less than if you live in South Loop, River North, West Loop, Gold Coast, Streeterville, etc. Great areas still.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:41 PM

There is also Lincoln Park, which isn't bad, although I'd say it's not quite as diverse as the other areas mentioned. Quite yuppie there, but if you're into that too, then I'd for sure check it out. All the areas I've listed are pretty safe. There's a few small weird parts of Bucktown still, some in Logan Square, and some in UK Village, but overall they're mostly safe areas.

Humboldt Park to the West is another area that you might want to stay away from, although on the Eastern edge isn't so bad and there's some decent stuff over there. If a place advertises as Western Wicker Park, it's code for Humboldt Park. The further east you get, the shadier it gets. You want to stay away from areas on the west like Austin and Garfield Park too. There's a few nice places in East Garfield Park I noticed as I walked through there one night, but eh.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:35 PM

57 posts, read 145,810 times
I vote in favor of the Northwest Side suggestions. Look at Wicker Park and Logan Square. You will find some fairly good spots within your price range. The Blue Line is very convenient for a commute to the Loop or out to O'Hare, though a reliance on cars reduces the value of public transit options.

I have another suggestion that might work: sublease for a month or two before signing a long-term lease. Short-term sublets are widely available during the summer (plenty of grad students head elsewhere for the summer), though unfortunately you are arriving a bit late to take advantage of the best sublet season. Sublet units often come furnished. Then, once you are here in Chicago with a short-term lease, you can spend some time exploring options in person before signing a year-term lease.

The sublet option only works if you aren't moving with too much furniture. Obviously moving a full household of furniture twice within months would be a pain. I only mention the sublet option in case you are getting rid of your old furniture and plan on buying new stuff once in Chicago.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:20 PM

240 posts, read 464,661 times
First of all ChicagoRookie, welcome to Chicago. We're happy to have you here and hope you're excited about your move. We Chicagoans may be biased, but the majority of us think you're moving to the best city in the world, and you're going to love living here.

For a neighborhood, I live in the West Loop, but good luck getting a 1-bed for less than $1400. My girlfriend and I settled on a nice one-bedroom for $1800 and that was a good deal. The aforementioned suggestions are all good. Chicago is LOADED with great neighborhoods, so unlike many cities which have 3-4 neighborhoods with young professionals living in them, here in Chicago you'll have about 20 or so to choose from.

It sounds to me like you're fairly dependent on automobile. A couple neighborhoods I would suggest are North Center/Roscoe Village and Andersonville. Both are on the North side, have access to street parking (although it's easier in NC/RV, and are BEAUTIFUL to look at and live in. Both neighborhoods not only have good nightlife, but have quick access to the neighborhoods that are loaded with it. Also, both have (depending on where you live) access to the L within a 5-15 minute walk. Lastly, both neighborhoods are VERY safe, notably NC/RV which is one of the safest in the city.

My last suggestion if you're looking for a place is Chicago Apartment Search | Apartments For Rent In Chicago | Domu Chicago. INCREDIBLY easy to use (and actually kinda fun) when searching for a city apartment. Also, you can add criteria like "pet-friendly" and "needs washer/dryer".

Good luck and please keep us posted on what you decide upon!

Cheers!

PS - If you're looking in the suburbs, you may want to consider Oak Park. Historic town right on the western border of Chicago, access to 2 different L lines, immediate access to an expressway, and LOADED with historical stuff (Hemingway, Frank Lloyd Wright, and Edgar Rice Burroughs called it home). Plus it's safe and has a great downtown, although admittedly with limited places to drink.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:21 PM

240 posts, read 464,661 times
Oh, and one more thing (and shameless self-promotion), my girlfriend and I have a blog based entirely on Chicago neighborhoods. If you're interested, check it out and see what some of the Windy City's neighborhoods have to offer in terms of culture, dining, and nightlife.

Big Shoulders Atlas: A Chicago Neighborhoods Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago