Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:35 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvfield View Post
How did these men hear these racial taunts if they were sitting in a limosuine?
Seriously? Well, let's see. Limos have windows and a sun roof. Reports are that some of them were "hanging out" of the limo (which makes sense if you're shooting a music video sometimes). So you see, the windows and/or sun roof would have been open.

I'm not defending their actions, but use your head for this. Just because you're in a vehicle doesn't mean you have to be cut off from the world right outside your vehicle.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:40 AM

130 posts, read 170,781 times
It's really amazing how many of you are willing to give these 4 guys a pass simply because one of their relatives alleges that they heard a racial slur. So hearing an insult that offends you gives you the right to come running out of your limo, get into a fight, assault innocent bystanders and an off-duty cop, and all around cause mayhem on a public street.

And where is the skepticism or BS detectors? The assailants' mothers -- who were not witnesses to this event and are obviously very biased -- are all over the media saying that their boys are good kids and only did this because they were insulted. (This of course ignores their extensive criminal histories.) Mothers are always going to defend their sons; it's what they do and I would expect nothing less. And the Chicago Tribune and WGN will be happy to give them a soapbox so that you feel a little more sympathy for the poor assailants. From the articles I've read though, none of the real witnesses have corroborated this "taunting" allegation.

My only guess is that many of your reactions have to do with lowered expectations for certain groups. Generally, we expect people not to act a certain way even in the face of insults. That's why if you call someone fat (and their very sensitive about their overweightness), the overweight person is not permitted to physically pummel you in response. If you say "F you" to a cop, or call him a pig, the cop is then not allowed to physically pummel your face. But apparently their is an exception for 30-year-old rappers driving around in a limo filming a rap video.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:43 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I've lived in some of the most dangerous cities in the nation. Never have I seen a situation like this be random. There is always two sides to the coin. You and I should demand more from the media.
In time the whole story will become known. It's far too early to be making allegations anf judging the situation. The "media" isn't the bad guy here. It's just a messenger for what facts/information becomes known to it. Witnesses will come forward. We're now told, by the "media" that the incident was captured on a security or other camera. Relax. None of us is in danger. Really. Just relax.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
In time the whole story will become known. It's far too early to be making allegations anf judging the situation. The "media" isn't the bad guy here. It's just a messenger for what facts/information becomes known to it. Witnesses will come forward. We're now told, by the "media" that the incident was captured on a security or other camera. Relax. None of us is in danger. Really. Just relax.
Exactly. This is the media's role usually..a messenger. It's not always necessarily right or wrong. It is reporting what it can from whatever witnesses are there.

Once a trial begins, that's when the real truth will come out about what happened. It's how things work. You can't get too worked up about media "getting things wrong" before an investigation or trial.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Lundegaard View Post
It's really amazing how many of you are willing to give these 4 guys a pass simply because one of their relatives alleges that they heard a racial slur. So hearing an insult that offends you gives you the right to come running out of your limo, get into a fight, assault innocent bystanders and an off-duty cop, and all around cause mayhem on a public street.
I think most of us are saying the opposite. There's no excuse to beat someone up so badly they have to go to the hospital just because they called you a name. The judge, no matter what race they are, is not going to dismiss something or give a lighter sentence just because they were called a few names.

If it's determined (PROVEN) that people were hitting, grabbing, etc the men before, then that could be considered self defense. Really, that is their only hope for getting out of this one.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think most of us are saying the opposite. There's no excuse to beat someone up so badly they have to go to the hospital just because they called you a name. The judge, no matter what race they are, is not going to dismiss something or give a lighter sentence just because they were called a few names.

If it's determined (PROVEN) that people were hitting, grabbing, etc the men before, then that could be considered self defense. Really, that is their only hope for getting out of this one.
People beat people up all the time and sometimes they have to go to the hospital. This is nothing new especially for areas like Wrigleyville.

Using the N-Word in lake view is nothing new. As much as some want to sweep it under the rug.

The media made it into a mob attack similar to the other garbage that's been going on in the city. Thats where the problem is.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Most black guys aren't going to fly out of limos attacking people, and on the other end most people hanging at wrigleyville bars are NOT oafy racist white guys who like to fight. There certainly are some on both sides of that picture, but you don't hear about the 75% of people who just shake their heads and think this is just stupid.
yep.

Maybe sentence all the guys involved to 8 hours a day on city data, explaining themselves under folders called "Yelling racial slurs at groups of black men in limo: brilliant or foolish?" and "Drunk hick calls you the n-word: Hulk-smash or reprimand?"

Old 07-10-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
People beat people up all the time and sometimes they have to go to the hospital. This is nothing new especially for areas like Wrigleyville.

Using the N-Word in lake view is nothing new. As much as some want to sweep it under the rug.

The media made it into a mob attack similar to the other garbage that's been going on in the city. Thats where the problem is.
It might not be anything new, but we have a serious problem if we just write any violence off and say "well this happens all the time." I'm sorry if I'm in the minority of thinking here, but I'm not a fan of any violence and could care less whether it happens all the time or not. We should be working to eliminate this crap no matter who's doing it, no just saying "well it happens all the time so whatever" and leaving it at that.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The "media" isn't the bad guy here. It's just a messenger for what facts/information becomes known to it.
Nah, it's the messenger for the story that will sell the most advertisements. Facts are secondary and are worked in only when they fit the story line. In this case, the story line is, "Be very afraid, white people! And here's a message from our sponsor about some things you can buy to feel better."

Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
LOL. What are they supposed to write?

A bunch of people with lengthy arrest records were arrested once again for beating some people into a pulp, for whatever reason.

"The media" aka the person who wrote the story for the Trib seem to have bent over backwards to interview all of the people closest to the alleged perpetrators to get their side of the story.

What would you have them do?

Seriously, cue down the paranoia. I'm sure the reporters would have loved to interview the victims but I think that is procedurally difficult; I don't think the police release victims names, whereas if you are arrested, fairly or unfairly, it becomes public record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago