Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 06:41 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I don't know the whole story but it is funny how people want to discuss someone's history without discussing the other.
Suspects' criminal histories are generally considered to be of more interest than victims' criminal histories. Funny how that works.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:42 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I realize that more than Black people have to deal with racial prejudice.

I've been called the n word outside my front door. Did I cry scream and holler? No! I didn't think twice about it. Sad enough I expected it coming from the people it came from.

I've been in situations where if I wasn't a strong minded person, things could have gotten ugly very fast. Especially facing the 300 lb drag queen and her friends.

I don't regret anything I wrote on this forum. When something is something, I call it what it is. You should do the sme thing. Never get mad when someone shares their feelings based on their experiences.

One last statement, not everyone is open to dialog on race. Not everyone can be taught by interacting with others.
Hey, it's sad. It truly is, but once you realize that a lot of people are not very smart in the world especially with stuff like this, your life becomes that much easier. I used to be that "not strong minded person." I used to fight about it back in the day. It just makes matters worse, and after maturing, I realized there's not a lot you can do with just words (UNFORTUNATELY!). It's really sad because the world would be a much better place if people were just a little more open minded and understanding.

Reminds me of when some Somali and Sudanese refugees moved to where I lived in the US. They were minding their own business, and a racist gang started to give them crap and fight them for no reason. They banded together to protect one another, one thing led to another thing and they formed gangs. 20 years later they're all bonafide bloods and crips because they were just trying to look out for themselves.

Imagine if the racist gang never started things with them. Probably never would have happened. Amazing to think about how some things start sometimes.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Tell me about it. I was drunk one night at a bar mouthing off and got into a fight with four west side gangbangers. It wasn't fun.
Heh that would suck. At least you're here to tell us about it.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:56 PM

160 posts, read 264,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Racism is part of my everyday life too. I've been called all sorts of things. My last three relationships have been interracial as well. I hate to say it, but there's more than just blacks in this country that have bigoted and racist attitudes against them. I realize that there has been a long history of it, but there's racism towards many, many groups in various parts of the country. The deal is that I realize that many people are completely ignorant and all I can do is feel sorry for them that they aren't aware that real harmony, enjoyment of life, etc comes from understanding each other and different cultures than your own.
+1

Old 07-09-2012, 07:20 PM

130 posts, read 170,747 times
Quote:
You can spare me the lecture. Men with sense don't create trouble. If you are stupid enough to yell racial slurs at four thugs then you deserve what happens to you. Sure, the assailants aren't exactly upstanding citizens but that just reinforces my point.

I tend to view life in terms of action and consequence, not right or wrong. The 'n-word' is explosive and extremely offensive. Someone like you simply can't understand. Even I might react violently and I'm not exactly a thug. Using that word is like talking about someone's mother. It's potentially dangerous.
Well if you might react violently, that's wrong. Period. I don't know what else to say to you. From a purely common sense point of view (that is, trying to reduce risk), I agree with you. If you want to avoid trouble, you don't go dropping the n-word on four rappers passing by in a limo. But from a morality standpoint, it was still wrong for them to react so violently to words.

Guess what else is stupid? A woman dressed in a very scantily-clad manner, walking drunk through a bad part of the neighborhood is a bad idea. But if she subsequently gets raped, the rapists are still both morally despicable and legally culpable for doing what they did. And if a cop pulls you over for whatever reason, and you respond to the cop by hurling insults at him, calling him a pig, and making donut jokes, you have acted stupidly. But if the cop decides to pummel your face for talking back to him (i.e., contempt of cop), the cop's behavior is still morally wrong and he should be legally culpable (for violating constitutional rights).

What you are in fact doing is giving people a pass for despicable behavior simple because someone else acted stupidly. This sends a message to the rest of society that they can also act like that.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Last week, there was a thread on CD about how media reports criminal activity and do black on white stories sell better than black/black or hispanic/hispanic.
While this story seems to certainly fit the mold, I think the fact that you have 4 black guys from the south/west sides getting into a major scuffle in a predominately white Wrigleyville certainly adds to the interest factor. While there are still a lot of unknowns about the incident, this seems to perpetuate a lot of the black on white crime we're seeing in the city this summer.
when its black on white violence why is it a "scuffle"??? troubled youth or a terrible misunderstanding?? but white on black violence its a "KKK lynching"????

Old 07-09-2012, 07:49 PM

263 posts, read 567,584 times
Quote:
That sort of stuff happens all the time, trust me. I have a friend who has worked in numerous bars and clubs on the north side and he always has stories of drunk white tossing around racial slurs. Many of these guys end up getting their asses beat. I've also experienced it first-hand. It's nothing new and to be expected.
These incidents are unfortunate, yet cool heads usually prevail. The 'tough guys' who dished out the a** whipping and the victims both lose in these situations. There are no winners.

Speaking from personal experience:

About 6 weeks back, I was walking along Division street just east of Halsted, across from the former Cabrini Green projects, at around 9:00 PM. Maybe I am naive, but I did not think it was a particularly bad area anymore. 4 black young adults (2 males, 2 females) approached walking in the opposite direction. I was minding my own business, yet one of them was weaving in and out of my path, staring me down. As we pass, the aggressor tried to slap me in the groin. I blocked his hand, turned around and assumed a fighting stance. At that point they continued to walk away while the remainder of the party teased the aggressor, saying "Damn, you almost got your a** whipped."

I saw no need to prolong the nonsense, so I walked away as well. I thought I heard the aggressor say something like "lucky white boy." What would anyone have gained if I chased them down and attacked? I did not consider the racial slur to be a just provocation.

By the way, I am 6'01", 210 pounds and in good shape. I have been training in martial arts for years. I am confident that I would have that have dropped that punk in a physical confrontation. In my early 30's, I see that that would have turned out bad for all.

Last edited by Peer79; 07-09-2012 at 08:18 PM..

Old 07-09-2012, 08:00 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer79 View Post
These incidents are unfortunate, yet cool heads usually prevail. The 'tough guys' who dished out the a** whipping and the victims both lose in situation. There are no winners.

Speaking from personal experience:

About 6 weeks back, I was walking along Division street just east of Halsted, across from the former Cabrini Green projects, at around 9:00 PM. Maybe I am naive, but I did not think it was a particularly bad area anymore. 4 black young adults (2 males, 2 females) approached walking in the opposite direction. I was minding my own business, yet one of them was weaving in and out of my path, staring me down. As we pass, the aggressor tried to slap me in the groin. I blocked his hand, turned around and assumed a fighting stance. At that point they continued to walk away while the remainder of the party teased the aggressor, saying "Damn, you almost got your a** whipped."

I saw no need to prolong the nonsense, so I walked away as well. I thought I heard the aggressor say something like "lucky white boy." What would anyone have gained if I chased them down and attacked? I did not consider the racial slur to be a just provocation.

By the way, I am 6'01", 210 pounds and in good shape. I have been training in martial arts for years. I am confident that I would have that have dropped that punk in a physical confrontation. In my early 30's, I see that that would have turned out bad for all.
Walk with me so you can protect me.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer79 View Post

Reminds me of my first night having moved to Chicago. I was in the Loop at maybe 9pm. My friend was staying at the Palmer House and I was walking back to my place. Just outside the Chicago Theatre a group of young black men (probably 6-8 of them) approached me. I was on the right hand side, and they tried to basically start a fight with me by bumping into me even though I was just walking and not doing anything, not even looking at them. They tried to bump into me and said something about "white boy" which is funny since I'm not actually uh..white...and I was older than all of them. But that's besides the point. I wasn't even doing anything and they purposely tried to bump into me and start something.

It was my first day in Chicago and kind of confused me why people would try that, but now I understand that some people are just up to no good.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:20 PM

263 posts, read 567,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Walk with me so you can protect me.
I don't want to be a 'tough guy'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago