Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:33 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
If only radio stations were stuck in the 70's.
I believe the OP is referring to the specific music of the 70's, not the pioneering spirit of FM radio at the time. I agree that more of the latter would be nice, and would lead to less of the former. It's not going to happen, though. Internet radio is now what FM radio was in the 60's and 70's. FM radio now is what AM radio was back then, except even more so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 12:51 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I believe the OP is referring to the specific music of the 70's, not the pioneering spirit of FM radio at the time. I agree that more of the latter would be nice, and would lead to less of the former. It's not going to happen, though. Internet radio is now what FM radio was in the 60's and 70's. FM radio now is what AM radio was back then, except even more so.
I'm well aware of the initial implication of the thread.

My assertion was that if radio stations were "mentally" stuck in the '70s, you wouldn't find so many stations playing music from ONLY 30+ years ago. They could have done what they wanted.

But jump to today, and corporations own a VAST MAJORITY of radio and they only stick to things that are tried and true to make money. People will stop to listen to "Hotel California", it made a S------- ton of money, but would quickly turn the dial if something from Cain was playing.

It's like asking why an ice cream place has chocolate and vanilla but not soy bean and asparagus flavors.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:05 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
How do most find new music??
Chicago Indie Radio...

CHIRP Radio | From the Chicago Independent Radio Project

Old 07-11-2012, 02:36 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
The same 4 or 5 generic corporate formats as every other city is not "a broad range of music." You have to go to the internet for that.
Well if someone is unwilling to turn the dial, yes, they'll have to search other mediums such as the internet. No need to do that though, unless someone does have a stranger interest than most of the rest of us.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:07 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Well if someone is unwilling to turn the dial, yes
No, if you're unwilling to turn the dial you only get one of those four or five generic formats. Turning the dial allows you to experience the full range: a crappy Taylor Swift song, a crappy Kei$ha song, "The Joker" for the 87,000th time, muzac, or something in Spanish. Did I leave any out?

Old 07-11-2012, 03:10 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,348 times
Get a satellite radio, it is infinitely better than terrestrial radio.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:27 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I can't name any current bands because I've reached the age where I could care less about pop culture ( actually reached that age quite a while ago). If this makes me a little out-of-touch, I don't mind.

However, I never want to hear the Eagles "Hotel California" again in my lifetime.
LOL , I am sure there are alot of other songs to add on this list
"smoke on the water "

Old 07-12-2012, 08:37 PM

101 posts, read 171,896 times
87.7 FM plays current and 90s alternative/modern/indie rock. It's the only station I've found so far that does.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:19 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestman View Post
I like the classic rock format a lot, but the repetition kills me. If you didn't know better, you would think Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, or the Stones only wrote about a ten songs. They should start playing deeper cuts to keep the listener's interest.
This is exactly why I had my radio show. Even all the bands you listed have great deep cuts that are never played on the radio for no reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago