Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 02:00 PM

10 posts, read 88,403 times

Advertisements

hello my name is temoc BullBoxer31.. we live on the north side of Chicago in avondale.we moved on january1 /2011 to our apartment, its 4 of us my daughter 11/my sister /19 my fiance /26 im 38. well in march last year we made a contract with the land lord were he gave me power of attorney with control of all his legal matters and finances with me getting paid on February of 2012 , it was notarized. in march i evicted tenants which resulted in me loosing my front teeth again we agreed that he would pay for implants on march 2012 ...during June 2011. i and others tenants loaned him 35,000 in order to save his properties. which was supposed to be paid on April of 2012 again it was signed and notarized.. april came and with out prior noticed he hired a lawyer and sent me to get evicted ,,he refuses to pay me,, and he told i was lying ,, i have all his paperwork and taxes for the last past years i told his lawyer i wasnt lying and i have proof.. he sai d that his client said i forged it... i told him how can i forge documents if even the police sargant and banks and his previous lawyer acknowledged me as his rep

also this Saturday water came pouring from the apartment up stairs. we lost our bed our new carpet and our tv and some items.. we tried calling him and no answer

anyone can recommend a lawyer who works on getting paid till we recover as we dont have any money due to loaning him our savings

please anyone

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 02:30 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,491,142 times
The Chicago Bar Association | Qualified, Prescreened Attorneys | Chicago Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service

Old 07-11-2012, 07:01 PM

575 posts, read 615,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temokk View Post
hello my name is temoc BullBoxer31..
If you are low income you might also try a legal services organization. Below are links to some.

Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago - Home

Cabrini Green Legal Aid - CGLA

CARPLS About

Note if the organization does not think the story is plausible (i.e., something that might be true), they are unlikely to take the case. You need to work on this.

For instance why would the landlord give you a power of attorney for all of his financial affairs? Maybe he would give you a power of attorney for certain matters relating to the building if you were the manager of the building. I am not sure I buy that, but it is getting closer to plausible.

Also, why would you lend the landlord your life savings? That is such a bad idea that they may not beleive you really did it. Hopefully, the landlord signed the promise to repay and his signature was notarized. If you used the power of attorney to sign his promise to pay you . . . well that was not a good idea - but talk to a lawyer about it. If the landlord was agreeing to pay you, why didn't he just sign the promise?

I am not saying this didn't happen. I am just saying you will need explain it clearly. Don't make anything up; if you tell the truth clearly that will be more persuasive than a made up story.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:47 AM

10 posts, read 88,403 times
Default thanks

i know it sounds like a story but if u met the land lord and his wife they are both in the 60 yrs range... and they told us how much people took an advantage of them.....turns out they were the asses they even have brothels here in chicago .....and it turns out they dont like any other race living in their building..besides Spanish [people ....

also where can i call they are taking an advantage of two mentally challenged people

again thank you

Old 07-12-2012, 08:21 PM

575 posts, read 615,818 times
you might try the Illinois Department of Human Services regarding the mentally challenged people - I think they are concerned with "abuse", so I don't know if what you're talking about rises to that; if not, maybe they can give you further directions

DHS: Abuse/Neglect Investigations at DHS Facilities

if your initial post is correct, I wouldn't give up try contacting the ABA or, if low income, one of the legal services organizations

if you used a check or money order for the loan to the landlord, that would help you establish that you gave him the money

Old 07-13-2012, 07:09 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,166,512 times
Racist and own brothels ... smells like mob to me.

Good luck and tread lightly.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:20 PM

57 posts, read 145,824 times
You are beyond the point of going pre se (representing yourself) in the various apparent legal actions. You should hire a lawyer or obtain the assistance of a free/low-cost legal aid organization. Be sure to use only reputable lawyers and organizations - the links posted above will help.

As an aside, I agree with Leo's comment. Your story as written seems somewhat implausible, so be sure that you have all your facts in order when you go to speak with an attorney or intake person at an organization. Also, bring along any and all documents that might be relevant to your account.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:48 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
@SCCP, I think you meant pro se as in "advocating for oneself before a court."

Power of Attorney is a slippery slope that can be arbitrary and capricious. In this case it ended when the landlord denied it. He does not have to tell the other party. All he had to do was tell the police or his lawyer: end of POA.

You do not have POA. There may not be grounds to evict you, but, there is probably a cause of action for water damage. to your personal property. And there may be a cause of action to get your money back. You may or may not be able to file a Lien against the property.

Unless you know Illinois law well, you need a lawyer. Now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: