Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 01:35 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
I grew up in near the SW side and when I get really excited (yelling) this is how I start to sound.
Product of the environment I guess.

Or, more accurately, think Bill Swerski's Superfans.

I know once I have a beer or two my Texan twang really starts to show. Definately a product of the environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 02:40 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,782,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Ha! I say "y'all" too even though it grates endlessly on the nerves of my New Englander dad. Sorry, dudes, but "y'all" is the only acceptable way to pluralize "you." And don't give me any of this same-singular-as-plural crap, because I won't have it.

Y'all come back now, ya hear?

Old 01-24-2021, 11:15 PM

91 posts, read 119,757 times
Utkid the up & coming rapper that you presented possibly grew up in Tupelo, MS. I have lived in Chicago for 68 years & there is a vast amount of Black people who moved here to visit or live in the city.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:30 PM

91 posts, read 119,757 times
Well said "most inhabitants in Chicago are not from the south originally." Thank you 55 degrees. As a 68 year resident of Chicago I can say that I do not know where Utkid formed his opinion that Blacks or Whites in Chicago are country or that most or many migated from Mississippi. MtjinMemphis, no disrespect to the residents of Chicago or Memphis, but the long time residents of either city and I have visited Memphis often enough during my youth an beyond enough to say, that residents' dialogue, accents, mannerisms are as different as night is to day. Quick assumptions can be misleading and the observers would benefit from a longer observation, more intent listening and perhaps a tape recorder.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:17 AM

68 posts, read 53,615 times
In many ways...Chicago can indeed seem quite country.

Last edited by Manson Lamps; 01-25-2021 at 06:29 AM..

Old 01-25-2021, 08:41 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,249,261 times
I remember when I worked in the Milwaukee County Jail, when I was interviewing Black inmates, there would be times where I would ask: "Are you from Chicago?"... I could almost always detect if the person in front of me was a local person, or from Chicago.

I've spent so much time in Chicago, that there is a definite Chicago sound that I've heard Black people speak, that sounds like it has a "southern Black" sound to it.

I understand that the Uptown neighborhood had had a White Appalachian concentration. Can anyone speak on this? Was there a distinct accent??

Thank you.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:49 AM

68 posts, read 53,615 times
I can't speak to the accent but the "Uptown hillbillies" were around from the 60s up through the 80s/early 90s. Could be wrong but I think they were mainly concentrated around where Truman is now. To the extent they stayed in the city they've pretty much assimilated into the overall white population. I think the last vestige of their presence, that country bar at lawrence and clark, is still around (or was pre-covid).

Old 01-25-2021, 09:07 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,249,261 times
Mandson Lamps, thank you. I have read a couple of books on Uptown. Very interesting the stages that community area has gone through!

And yes, the group was referred to as "hillbillies", or Appalachians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: