Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:24 PM

9 posts, read 11,008 times

Advertisements

What is typically required for most apartment applications in Chicago? I'm used to providing copies of most current pay stubs as income verification, current employer info, current and previous landlord info and then they run credit and criminal background checks. I recently looked at a place that wants all of the above as well as 3 months of bank statements and personal references. I understand the references, but aren't pay stubs and contacting my current employer enough to verify income?? Hell, this is more than what you provide when applying for a home loan.

Does anyone know if this has become standard on all apartment applications now? Maybe it's just me, but I feel this is just too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 06:42 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
3 months bank statements really is a lot! I work as a mortgage loan processor and you're right, 90% of the time I only need 1 month. I guess the pro to that is they are also screening your neighbors as thoroughly as you, so hopefully you don't move in next door to some low life.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
I would not provide bank statements to someone just to fulfill their idle curiosity. Eff that.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:48 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,634 times
I'm pretty sure the purpose isn't for curiosity as much as it is to show that you're financially responsible.

IE, you didn't take out a loan last week just so you could inflate your savings to get an apartment while you're really in debt.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:57 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoGuy37 View Post
What is typically required for most apartment applications in Chicago? I'm used to providing copies of most current pay stubs as income verification, current employer info, current and previous landlord info and then they run credit and criminal background checks. I recently looked at a place that wants all of the above as well as 3 months of bank statements and personal references. I understand the references, but aren't pay stubs and contacting my current employer enough to verify income?? Hell, this is more than what you provide when applying for a home loan.

Does anyone know if this has become standard on all apartment applications now? Maybe it's just me, but I feel this is just too much.
I just submitted an application yesterday, and everything you mentioned was apart of the process except the 3 months of bank statements. That's a new one for me.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:27 AM

483 posts, read 842,261 times
I've never been asked for any official bank statements, including with the application I submitted yesterday. I have been asked about my bank balances but have never needed to "prove" them.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:45 AM

928 posts, read 1,713,236 times
Bank statements? The **** out of dodge with that. Normal applications are like what you've experienced, that is, income/employer information and verification, plus references from previous landlords. What's next? Retina scans and peeing in a cup?

Old 07-16-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
What's next? Retina scans and peeing in a cup?
I got the impression that they absolutely would have had me pee in a cup if they thought it would be legal. It was such overkill. They should be able to learn everything they want to know about me with a credit check, criminal background check, copies of pay stubs and previous landlord info.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:18 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,634 times
Are you renting from a corporation / property management company, or a owner occupied apartment?

Old 07-16-2012, 01:03 PM

This was a two flat where the owner lived next door. I believe it's the only rental property he owns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: