Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 10:54 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,324 times

Advertisements

I used Redfin to see about 3br/2ba homes under $100K in the city and here's the result (the numbers refer to homes in that price range in a region. It doesn't break it down very specifically where these homes are until you go to the live map and start zooming in.)

If you went down to a 2br/1ba home, there are dozens more that come up on the search on the far NW and far SW sides of the city. If you want safety over convenience, those areas are strong options. If you're in it for the long term, you could always remodel and upgrade a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 04:36 AM

4 posts, read 12,481 times
Default This may be a year out from this post.. but i have to.

Maybe I am getting old, or I am one of those eccentrics. But listen, I am a very small woman. I grew up in Jefferson park in 1987 at the age of 16 ,as an emancipated minor moved to bucktown and lived alone for 400.00 a month.3 bedrooms... perfect for an artist.... logan square was not good when I was young... I lived there too....... then humboldt park , then pilsen..the industrial corridor... totally cowboy experiences.
All these neighborhoods are really great now.They were not when I lived there by any means.
I really feel that people that are terrified of this neighborhood have no idea how to survive using common courtesy and people skills.True diversity happens when unexpected people accept their surrroundings and work with in it respectfull and logically.

Perhaps some people have preconceptions on different races, or classes?
I love it here, I can park in fron of my house... by neighbors and i have each other over for barbecues and picnics.
I live at the furtherest south east corner of EGP. I live here with my boyfriend, we bought a house.it was vacant for 2 year when we got it. It is now paid for. My taxes are low. I can park in front of my house. I have walked to the gas station at 2 a.m. worry free.
MY home is in repair still..Most the time when we forst moved in this place was so unsecured some one could have walked right in. But they don't. They are not concerned with me, because I dont care what "they" do.. "they" meaning the street urchin types.Typically these ARE NOT home owners.
Home owners are glad I am here, fixing a beautiful house that may have gotten struck for demo.
I am bringing property value up in the hood just by doing what I need to to my property. Just like everyone else that works onn their home, Regardless of race class or occupation.
Some one did die on my lawn. But the people who commited the crime werent after me... and the bullet was headed down the street not at my home.
You see there are rules to all that street business, because that is a business, and it happens in EVERY neighborhood in Chicago.... in some it is just more obvious not so much in your face and happens behind closed doors.
I am not concerned beyond reason with the crime. I lived by western and iowa not long ago..in beautiful hip Ukranian Village... and some one got shot at a bar across the street at least once a month... these were not humbolt park gang crimes, this was uke village euro guys crimes.
Granted.. I dont have any thing the criminals might want. I have nothing that is hot on the streets and if i did have a flat screen... i woudnt hang it uncurtained in my living room... other people around her do though.Thats just not my style.
I am friendly with my neighbors. I talk to the streets like they talk to me. Simple. I dont cower, I laugh when appropriate. I relate. I look people in the eye.I stand instead of walking away. I dont let people I dont know in my home... and am precutionary on whom I trust. I tell no one nothing of my belongings.I dont bost or brag about having and have notting. I remember... Charlitans are easy to spot and trust my instincts.

I did not come here trying to make a change, but because of what I am doing change happens. I cant help that. It is a byproduct. Just the fact that my home is no longer vacant created a change. Dealers feel a little uncomfortable I suppose dealing right in front of me when I am gardening... and asking them "hows business?" This is totally a byproduct of me just wanting to live in and preserve a neglected beautiful home close to downtown.
I love my home my neighborhood and all my neighbors. The dealers have specific rules in not messing with people that are not of their own business.Homeowners, Teachers at the schools..etc.. They do not seek more trouble than they already have. This is how their business works.
My biggest problem thus far is scrappers , but that is due to the fact that I have an unsecure fence. Partially my fault. When I have caught scrappers taking things I didn't give away, all I had to to was talk to them... respectfully and the issue stopped. I told them to put the word out... if its n my yard ITS MINE.
I suppose if I had big plans of having kids i may not do it here. But i don't, I have lived completely alone (4'11 italian woman) for 6 mos at a time while my boyfriend was away working. At that time i worked at a bar...i was gone 6 nights a week... my home was fine , i was fine walking from my cr to my door..
I suppose if i acted like I was better than everyone else, maybe I would have problems. But i am not, rich or poor, good job or bad.. I put on my pant the sme way gang bangers and dealers do... theirs are just a little nicer than mine.. so are their cars!
But typically , when some one gets shot its gangs or drugs or owed money. I am not in a gang I dont do drugs and I dont owe anyone around here money. So I am none of their concern. "They": the dealers and gangbangers are none of mine.
I am not here to soften their turf... and i treat them with just as much respect as i would anyone.I have no fear when talking to them. Some of them even recognize me and have stopped trying to deal me crack.
this post is long , but i need to mention.... i have done some dumb things here... things that if i did them in Wicker Park , i would have been a victim. I left my keys in my front door all night. Dumb... i was not a victim here.
Left my car windows open all night... my car and its contenst were unruffled....I forgot to lock the backdoor came home and the wind blew it open. This happened often before it was fixed... i just forgit to lock it to keep it shut one day.. For hours my door was open. No one came in.
I left my wallet on the roof of my car. It was there in the morning.
I left power tools on the lawn over night... they were still there.
If I left my wallet on the hood of my car on division street, be damn sure it'd be gone.
Not here... I suppose I have become part of the neighborhood. By talking to my neighbors and BEING A PART of my neighborhood...instead of being afraid of it people choose to not victimize me, even when
I do stupid things.

Last edited by Cowgirl752; 06-26-2013 at 04:53 AM..

Old 06-26-2013, 06:48 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,166,512 times
Personally, although I know the air quality in any part of the center of any city is less than pristine, I wouldn't live immediately adjacent to an expressway just because of air quality concerns.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:46 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I think it's a wee little bit of a stretch to say this place is a block away from Pilsen, who's northern border is around 16th Street. You'll be more like 8 blocks away. 8 long blocks.
I know this is a zombie thread, but...from his location the closest corner of Pilsen would actually be 18th and Western (the tracks bend south there and cut off 16th and 17th), which is at least a mile and a half away. He probably meant Tri-Taylor rather than Pilsen.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Oh Good Lord. Another one of those "if you can't tolerate bullets flying down your street and striking someone dead in your own lawn you must have some sort of racial bias" lectures...

Old 06-26-2013, 11:26 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl752 View Post
Maybe I am getting old, or I am one of those eccentrics. But listen
Everything in your post made complete sense to me, and probably to some others here as well. Most are not so rational, though. People want to feel safe where they live, which is understandable. Unfortunately, they're conditioned by the media and others to view certain places as "safe" and certain other places as "unsafe," with utter disregard to the realities you describe in your post.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:46 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Everything in your post made complete sense to me, and probably to some others here as well. Most are not so rational, though. People want to feel safe where they live, which is understandable. Unfortunately, they're conditioned by the media and others to view certain places as "safe" and certain other places as "unsafe," with utter disregard to the realities you describe in your post.
No they are conditioned by reality.

Community Areas - East Garfield Park - Tracking homicides in Chicago - Tracking homicides in Chicago | RedeyeChicago.com

Chicago Crime -- ChicagoTribune.com

Old 06-26-2013, 12:34 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Oh Good Lord. Another one of those "if you can't tolerate bullets flying down your street and striking someone dead in your own lawn you must have some sort of racial bias" lectures...
I fear people who use more than 30 ellipses in a single post more than I fear flying bullets.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:02 PM

4 posts, read 12,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not quite my point, the point is this is Chicago one of the most violent cities in America.

If you think you are safe in any part of the surrounding areas, think again because crime happens everywhere.
I have been in crossfire at Division and Milwaukee, my neighbor in Jefferson Park got robbed raped and murdered. My family friend got pulled from her car robbed and murdered on irving park road in lovely old irving park. Crime is everywhere.I just find in some areas it may be easier to become a victim because of the false sense of security that comes from thinking you are living in a safe neighborhood.
I am also a woman so my crime concerns are completely different than a mans.

Thieves generally don't randomly target break in and steal from the west side, they will go up north.
Most the crime here is related.
I would say yes i have a greater chance of being caught in crossfire here than i would in Highland Park.
But i dont want to live in Highland Park either.

As far as all the "dot dot dots" , so sorry, that just early in the morning stream of thought writing.
Some people want to know. And I LIVE HERE so I can tell you.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:39 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
Is EGP substantially different in 2013 than it was when the OP originally posted? Guessing not, but I don't have much reason to visit it outside of the conservatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago