Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 12:00 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times

Advertisements

I also think we might move back. I'd kind of like to -- just gotta get SO a job here first. Either that or St. Louis. Frankly KC is just too sprawly and conservative for our tastes. With the election year in full force it's gotten pretty hard for me at work to keep my mouth shut.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:19 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KardoulaMou View Post
Agreed. See thread about the prostitution and motels on Lincoln Avenue. Thread was locked because it was deemed not appropriate for a relocation forum. I thought this forum was so much more than that.
I was actually going to post exactly that yesterday, but figured it would lock the thread so never hit submit. But since you and the honorable arag hit on it...

Yeah, that was an interesting thread with some good responses. Even if this was solely for relo (and I don't see why that should be the case) I don't see the harm in reading about the history of all the Lincoln Ave motels/ladies of the night. In fact, those are the types of things that I would be interested in reading about a new city. Not because i'm interested in hookers, but because its interesting to see how neighborhoods and places evolve.

But what's odd is how a thread like that, which is civil and informative, gets locked immediately, but the race-baiting crime threads will stay open for weeks. I'm not saying 'y'all racist', just that if you're going to apply such a narrow scope to this message board, its pretty easy to open yourself up to inconsistencies.

Anyways, if this is solely going to be a 'help, where should i move to' forum, then anyone who knows what they are talking about will get bored and move away from this site within a few months, as is happening.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:23 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,113 times
Old poster...

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Yac; 01-10-2014 at 03:50 AM..

Old 07-20-2012, 12:49 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
I've found these forums to be increasingly tiresome recently as well, I don't know if its due to moderation or the absence of veteran posters. On the upside, I'm getting more productive at work.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:00 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times
I used to hang out here a lot more often, but the threads were becoming redundant w a lot of the same old back and forth, which got boring and went nowhere. Still keep an eye on it because I wouldn't want to miss the latest debate about the proper way to accessorize a hot dog, or whether or not Humboldt Park is dangerous for white people.

I have my suspicions which username Avenger/Tonytuna is using these days, but I'm not sayin'.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:05 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,707 times
Moderation on City-Data is usually bad. It's not so much the T.O.S., but if a mod likes you or if you share the same views. It also has a strong Conservative lean. This takes the fun away.

Last edited by plates; 07-20-2012 at 01:54 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 01:44 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
In regard to relocation posts, I'm willing to bet that Drover has some definitive post somewhere covering most of Chicago's neighborhoods, their prices, the type of housing stock, bus lines, CTA routes, restaurants, etc. I'm sure that it could be used as a starting point for all those newcomers looking for advice about moving to Chicago, and it would eliminate the need to reinvent the wheel every time a relocater asks for advice.

We need some new, original topics, and we also need for some of the old-timers to reappear..

Last edited by MassVt; 07-20-2012 at 02:01 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 01:50 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I also think we might move back. I'd kind of like to -- just gotta get SO a job here first. Either that or St. Louis. Frankly KC is just too sprawly and conservative for our tastes. With the election year in full force it's gotten pretty hard for me at work to keep my mouth shut.
If you did move back, would you come back to one of the same neighborhoods you already lived in? Or are you thinking about/wanting to try a new neighborhood if/when you come back?

Old 07-20-2012, 01:53 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
I repped just about all of you on this page, we definitely need some new topics of conversation and I totally agree about wondering why are some interesting threads locked and then the horrible racist ones go on forever. I have had posts deleted (maybe this one will be).

Anybody going anywhere fun for vacation this year? I'm not. The small mortgage broker I work for got acquired and as soon as we get through enough of the old loans we'll get trained on the new systems, but nobody knows yet when that will be.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:54 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
If you did move back, would you come back to one of the same neighborhoods you already lived in? Or are you thinking about/wanting to try a new neighborhood if/when you come back?
We lived in Wicker Park before because I was commuting out to Lemont and the northside just wasn't a reasonable commute. If we came we'd consider a few different neighborhoods but I've always had a soft spot for Southport Corridor or somewhere in West Lake View. We liked the vibe of WP a lot but felt a touch isolated from the heart of all the North Side shenanigans. Then again, after three years in KC I'm pretty certain Jefferson Park would feel walkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago