Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 02:39 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Better yet, don't include parking, or include very little, including some dedicated zip car/i-go spots.

Build them with parking garages and you just encourage more car dependency and more traffic.
It's already known as Lincoln (no)Park, and having an address is all you need to get the parking permit. They need to accommodate the cars that will be coming into the area. Ideally, you'll have people that move in yet leave their car parked most of the time.
My buddy has a car that's three years old, and hasn't even cracked 10,000 miles yet. That's the kind of people you want moving in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 02:51 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
It's already known as Lincoln (no)Park, and having an address is all you need to get the parking permit. They need to accommodate the cars that will be coming into the area. Ideally, you'll have people that move in yet leave their car parked most of the time.
My buddy has a car that's three years old, and hasn't even cracked 10,000 miles yet. That's the kind of people you want moving in there.
Right - if parking is a known issue, and off-street parking will not be available, you will be less likely to attract tenants/owners who require frequent car use.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Right - if parking is a known issue, and off-street parking will not be available, you will be less likely to attract tenants/owners who require frequent car use.
Seriously, stop and re-read what you just wrote.

Now, think about how you're making an assumption that the people that want to pack in to Lincoln Park and pay premium prices to live there possess some modicum of common sense.

Besides, I think the city has a zoning law that requires a certain amount of parking to be with any residential along with some commercial space.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:47 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Quote:
I think that ideally you want people like me, who don't own a car and use Zipcar for the occasional local trip, rent a car from a regular car rental place for longer needs, and use the savings for something productive instead of applying it to a sunk, barely-used thing and (relatively expensive) storage space. At a minimum your friend's per-mile cost for that car is grossly higher than the alternatives and that's money that is pure, unadulterated economic waste. Cities shouldn't encourage wasteful practice. They shouldn't necessarily outlaw it, but only stupid cities go out of their way to enable waste.

Just imagine if Chicago said, "Rich people enjoy long, hot showers, so let's require that all new units have 100-gallon hot water heaters" - people would be in an uproar about that, it would be seen as stupid and wasteful and anti-market. But that's EXACTLY what the city does when it requires parking minimums.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:51 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I think that ideally you want people like me, who don't own a car and use Zipcar for the occasional local trip, rent a car from a regular car rental place for longer needs, and use the savings for something productive instead of applying it to a sunk, barely-used thing and (relatively expensive) storage space. At a minimum your friend's per-mile cost for that car is grossly higher than the alternatives and that's money that is pure, unadulterated economic waste. Cities shouldn't encourage wasteful practice. They shouldn't necessarily outlaw it, but only stupid cities go out of their way to enable waste.
Exactly. I think someone, maybe Chet, pointed out something that oh you need to get away from thinking everyone in Lincoln Park has jobs in the Loop or somewhere near and there's many people who commute to suburbs, etc. You know what? I disagree. I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that the majority of Lincoln Park residents who work or go to school do so either in the area, or with fairly short public transit ride. I'm sure there are some people who actually drive to jobs in the burbs, and others who use CTA to get to the Metra to do so or even walk there (i.e. near the Clybourn station) but they're definitely in the minority for that area.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:08 PM

That's too difficult when you want a car for the odd weekend to visit your parents in Iowa.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:12 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
That's too difficult when you want a car for the odd weekend to visit your parents in Iowa.
Really? Rent a car. Let's see. Pretend you visit parents in Iowa 6 weekends a year. Pretty sure that's much less expensive than paying for insurance and gas every month. I went to a wedding in Iowa last month and rented a car for 3 days. Rental cost me $80, and gas was maybe another $80 round trip. $160 total. Pretend now my insurance for car is $80/month and i pay $30/month for gas. $110/month * 12 = $1320/year. Pretend I rent a car 6 times like above. 6*160 = $960. I just saved myself $360 and that's not even including any parking in town for the example before about just owning a car to go to your parents on random weekends. Savings total is probably closer or over $400/year in this case.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:14 PM

Logic and reason have no bearing in this discussion.

You can easily see that during the winter when after a snow there's cars parked in Lincoln park that is obvious it's been at least a week since they've last moved.
That's the prevailing thought process there.

Let's not hope for the best, then get screwed because people act in the same way they've been.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:59 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Totally. I actually don't understand why tons of people in that area have cars. I only truly understand if they have work far away that needs a car or drive out of town quite often. But you know, that's me. I am mostly for this though I think. Could be interesting. 1000 units would probably be semi affordable housing. I couldn't see them putting more very expensive places in there.
Well, the Lincoln Avenue bus has pretty limited hours. Also, the shopping along Clybourn is difficult at best to reach by public transit, since there is no bus line along Clybourn. Maybe some competent CTA management that took a good look at the bus routes and improved service would get people to give up their cars.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:10 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
^Um, the red line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago