Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 06:35 PM

77,744 posts, read 59,889,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
The "facist" decision they're making is to let existing the zoning stay in place. They are taking no actions to block them, they just aren't changing the zoning to accommodate them. That's far from being "facist".
That is a complete load of BS and everyone here knows it.

Seriously, the alderman is saying he'll block them, that's facist as heck and oh wait......

ACLU Backs Chick-fil-A Against Rahm Emanuel's Threatened Ban

A host of legal professors and the ACLU are saying that Chicago is in the wrong.

At this rate, Chick-fil-a is going to get their building for free courtesy of lawsuits the city of Chicago would lose.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:42 PM

77,744 posts, read 59,889,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
This whole thing is stupid but I'll say this.

Chick-fil-a is quickly getting a bad national reputation for it's policies. I don't think the city of Chicago wants to be associated with that negative reputation. We have our own issues to deal with.

Operating in the city isn't a right like a lot of people here seem to think it is.
You let Farrakhan open and operate mosques and businesses in Chicago.....why is that ok?
He's anti-gay as hell...and also anti-jewish.....racist etc etc etc.

Or is it that keeping out CERTAIN religions is ok, but not others.....got any races we need to keep out of Chicago while you are at it? I mean I'm just trying to figure out the full list of races, religions etc. that are acceptable to restrict.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:43 PM

955 posts, read 1,820,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Seriously, the alderman is saying he'll block them, that's facist as heck and oh wait......

A host of legal professors and the ACLU are saying that Chicago is in the wrong.
On any given day you can find a host of law proffesors who will say breathing is wrong.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:53 PM

130 posts, read 169,487 times
Quote:

At this rate, Chick-fil-a is going to get their building for free courtesy of lawsuits the city of Chicago would lose.
As I've explained pretty thoroughly in the other thread (maybe 20 times now), this is absolutely a constitutional violation. That the ACLU is now on board, along with a bunch of law professors, and liberal commentators, just further reinforces this point.

Proco Joe had a lot of legitimate reasons at his disposal for denying this request; he just had to avoid violating the Constitution in the process. He failed.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:03 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,492,454 times
please keep chick-fil-a, I love their sandwiches.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:11 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,131,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Religious beliefs should be something personal. Regardless if it is implemented in their corporate policy, you are just making things more complicated when you open your big mouth and say something like this. I say Chick Fil A brought this upon themsleves.
He was being interviewed and was asked a question and answered it. He didn't go out trying to make a statement or make a point about anything. He simply answered a question honestly. Doesn't he have as much right to his beliefs as gay activists do to theirs?

Old 07-26-2012, 07:25 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,049,066 times
Quote:
You let Farrakhan open and operate mosques and businesses in Chicago.....why is that ok?
He's anti-gay as hell...and also anti-jewish.....racist etc etc etc.

Or is it that keeping out CERTAIN religions is ok, but not others.....got any races we need to keep out of Chicago while you are at it? I mean I'm just trying to figure out the full list of races, religions etc. that are acceptable to restrict.

I didn't let Farrakhan do anything. So I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I also never said, or implied that any religions or races should be banned from the city, or anywhere. This is a social issue. The city is allowed to maintain stances on social issues.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:27 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,049,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Lundegaard View Post
As I've explained pretty thoroughly in the other thread (maybe 20 times now), this is absolutely a constitutional violation. That the ACLU is now on board, along with a bunch of law professors, and liberal commentators, just further reinforces this point.

Proco Joe had a lot of legitimate reasons at his disposal for denying this request; he just had to avoid violating the Constitution in the process. He failed.

Truly curious. How does this violate the constitution? Are there examples of similar cases etc?

Old 07-26-2012, 07:31 PM
NCN

21,661 posts, read 25,504,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
He was being interviewed and was asked a question and answered it. He didn't go out trying to make a statement or make a point about anything. He simply answered a question honestly. Doesn't he have as much right to his beliefs as gay activists do to theirs?
You hit that nail right on the head. It is amazing that many people want others to be tolerant of their views on subjects but have no tolerance of another view themselves. I do not believe I have ever eaten at a place that was so polite and helpful.

I think people should be free to eat wherever they want to eat, but for a government official to want to prevent a business from getting a license because of their political views, looks like it comes out of a communist rule book. This way of running a city is un-American. But we all knew that is the way this person thinks. Guess people who voted this man in do not deserve to get to eat good healthy food.

We in the South will eat the low fat chicken and Chicago can go to the grave early eating fatso pizza.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:38 PM

955 posts, read 1,820,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You hit that nail right on the head. It is amazing that many people want others to be tolerant of their views on subjects but have no tolerance of another view themselves. I do not believe I have ever eaten at a place that was so polite and helpful.

I think people should be free to eat wherever they want to eat, but for a government official to want to prevent a business from getting a license because of their political views, looks like it comes out of a communist rule book. This way of running a city is unAmerican. But we all knew that is the way this person thinks. Guess people who voted this man in do not deserve to get to eat good healthy food.

We in the South will eat the low fat chicken and Chicago can go to the grave early eating Papa Johns.
Well, you folks down south have the highest mortality rates in the USA, and you lead in obesity too. I won't even get into the diabetes trophy that you guys win every year.

So all I have to say is "pass the butter and slop some more gravy on them biscuits". Words to live by??? hmmmmmm.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago