Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:03 AM

34 posts, read 64,251 times

Advertisements

I was looking for a Chinese American take out place. Some that I've
looked at are China doll on Wells St and empire on division Ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 10:07 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsja View Post
I was looking for a Chinese American take out place. Some that I've
looked at are China doll on Wells St and empire on division Ave.
Again, most chinese places in the area are not that good. I live in the area too and never eat Chinese in the neighborhood.They're mediocre places, but you should give one or two a try. You can't always rely on online reviews. You will soon find out that most good food places are actually outside of downtown. That's not to say there aren't good places down here, but if you want authentic x and y food, you have to travel outside somewhere.

Rents/leases are high downtown, so just because you're downtown doesn't mean you have great food necessarily. The best ethnic food is definitely out of downtown for the most part.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:30 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I'm hoping to god it's good. It's really sad the amount of chinese options "downtown" (river north, loop, gold coast, etc) is basically crap. Usually hole in the wall places can be reallllllllllly good, but not most of these. Makes sense though. Shoot me when I start to think that PF Chang's is actually GOOD. It's no wonder most of the best restaurants in town are not "downtown."

Anyway, as far as north though, I haven't eaten here yet, but my Chinese-Taiwanese friend contends that Sun Wah has the best duck he's ever had including better than anything he's had in Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong, etc. He continuously raves about it. I'm weird and like Joy Yee (their smoothies are good too). BBQ King House is pretty good too in Chinatown apart from all the other well know places..
I love Sun Wah! Don't know if it's "authentic" etc but it's fun and kitschy and tasty. (I am easy to please.)

I personally don't like China Doll or that place on Division.

Yen's is good.

Totally understand that BG could be greasy; maybe it's what you order, I get some pao variation.

Tony Hu, save us!

Old 07-27-2012, 10:43 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
The old place on Michigan Ave. I was trying to think of was Szechuan House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago