Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:39 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
In my opinion, WP/Bucktown, and especially Ukrainian Village, make it tougher to get to other parts of Chicago via CTA, which can get annoying and/or expensive. Not all parts, mind you, just lots of ones that I wanted to go to.

This part I do agree with. Blue line is nice for getting to the loop and there are some buses that run E/W but it's somewhat of an isolated area unless you're cabbing around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 02:42 PM

483 posts, read 842,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
This part I do agree with. Blue line is nice for getting to the loop and there are some buses that run E/W but it's somewhat of an isolated area unless you're cabbing around.
It's easier to go from Wicker Park to Denver than it is from Wicker Park to Andersonville.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,841 times
Quote:
Yes, walking around helps (especially in actually finding an apartment).

Another thing to keep in mind is how important it is for you to be able to easily get to other parts of the city. In my opinion, WP/Bucktown, and especially Ukrainian Village, make it tougher to get to other parts of Chicago via CTA, which can get annoying and/or expensive. Not all parts, mind you, just lots of ones that I wanted to go to.
When it comes to much of UV, I agree, because it can be a mile to walk to the el. For places along the blue line, though (East UV, WP, Bucktown) it's not any harder to get to the rest of the city than it is from places along any other line.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
When it comes to much of UV, I agree, because it can be a mile to walk to the el. For places along the blue line, though (East UV, WP, Bucktown) it's not any harder to get to the rest of the city than it is from places along any other line.
It is certainly harder to get to places along the Red/Brown Lines on the North Side from Bucktown than it is from other places along the Red/Brown Lines on the North Side.

I don't know how that can possibly be disputed.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
It is certainly harder to get to places along the Red/Brown Lines on the North Side from Bucktown than it is from other places along the Red/Brown Lines on the North Side.
Sure, but wouldn't the converse of that be that it's harder to get to places along the Blue Line from Lakeview than it is from other places along the Blue Line? Unless you live close to the Loop, it's equally hard to get to get from one el line to another no matter where you are.

Maybe you're saying that you tend to go to more places along the Red Line than other lines, in which case of course it would be better for you to live along that line. That's not the case for everyone, though.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Sure, but wouldn't the converse of that be that it's harder to get to places along the Blue Line from Lakeview than it is from other places along the Blue Line? Unless you live close to the Loop, it's equally hard to get to get from one el line to another no matter where you are.
Absolutely. But I see the North Side as more convenient overall because you've got two El lines rather than just one, which expands the number of more-easily-reachable neighborhoods.

Of course, as you take the Brown Line out further (e.g. Lincoln Square) you start to increase the level of convenience from the WP/Bucktown/Ukrainian Village due to Western/Damen/etc buses. But anytime around rush hour and you revert back to misery-inducing inconvenience.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:15 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
I live off the Division Blue stop, and there is no more convenient place in Chicago for what I do with my life. That means less North Side, yes, but I've found West Side substitutes, so I'm no worse off.

It's sort of like the debate about living in Chicago versus New York, I don't doubt that there would be more "stuff" accessible if I lived at, say, Belmont and Sheffield, I just wouldn't use any more of it.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:16 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Living right off North in WP is probaly the best of both worlds -- right along the blue line or just a 5-minute bus ride or bike to the red line stop at Clybourn.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. But I see the North Side as more convenient overall because you've got two El lines rather than just one, which expands the number of more-easily-reachable neighborhoods.
I suppose so, but they're still a low percentage of the neighborhoods in the city. It just depends on the places you like to go to, I guess. I tend to end up on the Blue more than the Red (though I live on neither), and I sometimes forget that the Brown even exists.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:26 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Living right off North in WP is probaly the best of both worlds -- right along the blue line or just a 5-minute bus ride or bike to the red line stop at Clybourn.
That's a good point. At North and Damen, you pay for it, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago