Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:46 AM

6 posts, read 37,371 times

Advertisements

Chicago likes to compare itself to other world cities, so Ward Room thought it would find out how we rank in violence.

MOD CUT
Among what are considered Alpha world cities, Chicago has the highest murder rate -- higher even than the Third World metropolises of Mexico City and Sao Paolo.

MOD CUT

Last edited by linicx; 08-25-2012 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: TOS Violations; read the rules

Old 08-01-2012, 08:51 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
I'll stay out of west/south side gangs, cross my fingers and hope for the best. That lowers your chances of getting killed by around 70%.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
The saddest part is that 75% of the murders in Chicago occur in about 25% of the neighborhoods.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:04 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wog_Boy View Post
Source: MOD CUT
How much do you want to bet that the author of that article is lazy and biased and doesn't know jack about how to compare demographic data, so he compared the murder rate for the city of Chicago with the metro area rates for the international cities? Every American city would look a lot better on that list if you compared metro areas, which is really the only fair way to compare because political boundaries are arbitrary and close to meaningless.

For example, if you included EVERY murder in ALL of Illinois, Wisconsin and Indiana to Chicago's metro area population, you'd have a per-100,000 homicide rate of about 8.5, which is less than half of what the article listed for Chicago. And that would include the murders in, but not the population of, Milwaukee, East St. Louis, and Indianapolis in addition to all the smaller places in those three states.

In other words, it's a stupid, dumb list, using stupid, dumb data.

Last edited by linicx; 08-01-2012 at 11:34 AM..

Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
How much do you want to bet that the author of that article is lazy and biased and doesn't know jack about how to compare demographic data, so he compared the murder rate for the city of Chicago with the metro area rates for the international cities? Every American city would look a lot better on that list if you compared metro areas, which is really the only fair way to compare because political boundaries are arbitrary and close to meaningless.

For example, if you included EVERY murder in ALL of Illinois, Wisconsin and Indiana to Chicago's metro area population, you'd have a per-100,000 homicide rate of about 8.5, which is less than half of what the article listed for Chicago. And that would include the murders in, but not the population of, Milwaukee, East St. Louis, and Indianapolis in addition to all the smaller places in those three states.

In other words, it's a stupid, dumb list, using stupid, dumb data.
I can tell you Toronto's numbers are for the city proper, as are L.A.'s and New York's. Sao Paulo's are for the city proper too, but it looks like they're from last year, and homicides are up about 20 percent there this year according to news reports.

There are reasons for Chicago's high homicide rate that aren't going away any time soon, so I'm not going to freak out over it, but I'm not going to rant about others doing statistical gymnastics to make Chicago look bad, because they're not.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:53 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I can tell you Toronto's numbers are for the city proper, as are L.A.'s and New York's. Sao Paulo's are for the city proper too, but it looks like they're from last year, and homicides are up about 20 percent there this year according to news reports.

There are reasons for Chicago's high homicide rate that aren't going away any time soon, so I'm not going to freak out over it, but I'm not going to rant about others doing statistical gymnastics to make Chicago look bad, because they're not.
It still doesn't matter.

Toronto proper takes up half of their metro area.

Chicago proper takes up less than 30% of the metro area.

Using arbitrary political boundaries only confuses the issue. Yes, Chicago has a lot of murders, but it's like choosing only the eastern half of China because that's where the cities people have heard of are to say that China has a better per-capita GDP than Mexico does. When you start using arbitrary political boundaries to compare things, you end up with skew. If you don't even MENTION that in a list, then it becomes an intentional skew.

You can defend that as being accurate, because in certain ways it is, and you can point out that Chicago has a lot of murders, which it does, but creating data that intentionally skews the data and makes it worse than it actually is, at the very least, irresponsible journalism.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:57 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Chicago has a higher murder rate than Sao Paulo?? That's just embarrassing.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:00 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
^This.

Previously agreed upon designations for what constitutes an urban area and comparing urban area to urban area is really the only way to be fair.

For the record, this is exactly why St. Louis at 61 sq miles gets a bum deal when compared to Memphis (313 sq/miles) or Kansas City (316 sq/miles) in the crime rankings. Everybody's average rate looks lower when you include many many miles of pure suburbia as both Memphis and KC do.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:17 AM

483 posts, read 842,195 times
The comments on the article itself (not this C-D thread), like most comment sections on the internet, are a mix of amusing, befuddling and infuriating.

I'm not sure how I would feel about myself if I celebrated murder/crime in a region because it on average doesn't adhere to my beliefs on gun control or politics in general, which seems to be a common perspective in those comments.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,318 times
Saw this on reddit:

Interactive Map: The U.S. Shooting Epidemic - The Daily Beast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago