U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the study and the solutions given for Chicago?
Yeah, let's do it! 2 13.33%
No, that's stupid! 3 20.00%
I don't know. Maybe? 5 33.33%
Can you believe this OP? What a jag. 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:18 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,707,945 times

Advertisements

Here's the article, agree or disagree?:

Think tank proposes $52 billion in solutions to Chicago area's traffic congestion - Chicago Tribune

Here is the full plan, a must read ( ) if you have the time, the desire to be as minimally productive as possible at work, city planning/transportation kicks, a need to be the most informed on the tiniest of minutia to seem superior to the rest of the population:

http://reason.org/files/chicago_transportation_plan.pdf

Is that a good use of money for Chicago?

Will it alleviate (not get rid of) congestion?

Should there be more money spent on the ideas proposed?

Should more money be spent on public transit?

Should it be tax based, or user based (tolls)?

In my opinion, I think the Cicero tunnel could be good. Just meet up at the Junction and end at Pershing/Stevenson/47th, somewhere around there. I would be gung-ho for that if it also put in a "Circle" Line CTA line and/or Metra line in the middle of the expressway like the Kennedy or Dan Ryan. My own personal pipe dream would be that a "Circle/Gold" Line would be on Western connecting the Yellow Line to the Orange line, then heading east and ending at the Red or Green Line.

What are your thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 11:56 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,328,319 times
As a whole, no. Perhaps bits and pieces.

Pathetic lip-service to public transportation (BRTs, wheeeee!). I understand that's not the type of thing the Reason Foundation stands for though.

Congestion pricing is something to consider.

A lot of the plan takes place outside of Chicago though, and outside Cook county as well. I wonder what the suburbanite perspective is.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:35 PM

4,603 posts, read 7,324,319 times
I would support the cross-town tunnel idea. Anyone looking at a map of the Chicago area realizes that having an expressway in that general vicinity is a missing piece of transportation infrastructure here in Chicagoland. If they were building a giant tunnel anyway, they may as well include rail transit with it, especially if the vehicle portion is mostly express and they could do a Barcelona and service the transit stations with express elevators to minimize disruption. Doing that would enable explosive development near the major junctions and strong growth near any of the new rail stations, if they city wanted to enable additional growth in areas that could benefit from it.

The outer ring expressway is a bad idea, though, as it just further pulls development away from where people currently are. Improve transportation closer to the center and more people can comfortably live closer together, even in areas that are not at dense by any real meaning of the word. If the suburbs in Cook Country managed to densify from 3,500 people per square mile to 4,700 people per square mile, most people would hardly even notice, yet you'd have an extra million people in Cook County working and paying taxes.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
...The outer ring expressway is a bad idea, though, as it just further pulls development away from where people currently are. Improve transportation closer to the center and more people can comfortably live closer together, even in areas that are not at dense by any real meaning of the word. If the suburbs in Cook Country managed to densify from 3,500 people per square mile to 4,700 people per square mile, most people would hardly even notice, yet you'd have an extra million people in Cook County working and paying taxes.
If I was setting prices for that, I would make it an astronomical amount of money to use it. Something like $10-$20 to go the length of it. But, I would make it so that semis didn't have to pay a toll, or a minimal fee. Something like $1-$2.

Make it easy to go "through Chicago" for the people who just want to get through the area (truckers, people who can't handle Chicago's congested expressways, and the like). Make it a financial burden for people who want to use it for "convenience". Plus, give that Outer Belt a speed MINIMUM. If I'm going to pay an arm and a leg to get around Chicago's traffic, I should be able to at least be able to travel as fast as I feel comfortable with.

My thoughts.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:10 PM

2,473 posts, read 3,755,751 times
We need jet-cars and use the vertical space for transportation.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:20 PM

15,322 posts, read 21,310,685 times
I found this funny, and not sure if it was taken out of context or attributed wrong:

"If the Chicago region is going to have more than 10 million people by 2040, this is the kind of infrastructure that needs to be in place to efficiently handle that population and an economy of that size,"

Um, Chicago region already has almost 10 million people. Are they just stupid or did they mean the city of Chicago? Because I highly doubt the city is going to have 10 million people in 28 years, but you never know right?

Old 08-01-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I found this funny, and not sure if it was taken out of context or attributed wrong:

"If the Chicago region is going to have more than 10 million people by 2040, this is the kind of infrastructure that needs to be in place to efficiently handle that population and an economy of that size,"

Um, Chicago region already has almost 10 million people. Are they just stupid or did they mean the city of Chicago? Because I highly doubt the city is going to have 10 million people in 28 years, but you never know right?
I saw that too.

Chicago "region" is code for "City"?

From what I can tell, Chicago, to the Coasts, is the Midwest. If that's the case (or their delusion) Chicago is the biggest city in the world with more than 40 million people.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
We need jet-cars and use the vertical space for transportation.
Indeed, people are uber responsible with cars as they currently function. Giving every single person a jet pack is going to make the daily commute a cinch... with no accidents, ever!

And as we all know, jet pack accidents will cause less harm to individuals in said accidents than a traditional crash in a car would.

I love it.

I believe in Evolution.

And my brian tells me to take all my sick days if jet packs are a viable mode of transportation.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:00 PM

2,473 posts, read 3,755,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Indeed, people are uber responsible with cars as they currently function. Giving every single person a jet pack is going to make the daily commute a cinch... with no accidents, ever!

And as we all know, jet pack accidents will cause less harm to individuals in said accidents than a traditional crash in a car would.

I love it.

I believe in Evolution.

And my brian tells me to take all my sick days if jet packs are a viable mode of transportation.

There are kinks to work out I'm the first to admit that!

Old 08-01-2012, 03:04 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,131,526 times
That's a huge amount of money to pay for tolls, especially since their original use was supposed to be temporary. I don't like the fact that you have to pay to drive (although I can't think of a viable alternative to the tolls).

I would like to see Metra and the L get revved up. Let's make our rail the best in the world! Let's get it so that per capita it is the most used system in the world.

I do like building more highway, but I feel that this is an excuse for huge sprawl which isn't good because we know that that means losing farm land among other negatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
I saw that too.

Chicago "region" is code for "City"?

From what I can tell, Chicago, to the Coasts, is the Midwest. If that's the case (or their delusion) Chicago is the biggest city in the world with more than 40 million people.

I wonder if they mean the Illinois portion of Chicagoland? Or the urbanized portion? My best guess is that they don't know what they are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago