U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 07:13 PM

13 posts, read 15,857 times

Advertisements

Any info on the intersection of PineGrove /Sheridan?

-Parking
-Crime
-People
-transit times/commute options

Anything would be greatly appreciated:-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 08:06 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,876,586 times
Perfectly safe for the most part. I'm not sure if that is technically Buena Park or not. The neighborhood is a mix between professionals looking for a bargain and working class Hispanic. My co-worker lives there and doesn't mind it at all.

Commute options to the Loop would be Sheridan Red Line or maybe a 135/136 express bus down Lakeshore.

Crime. Not sure. From what I hear it starts getting sketchy north of Montrose, south of there is fine. I'm sure others can comment though.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:44 AM

6,934 posts, read 7,951,436 times
An excellent neighborhood. I disagree with the comment, "The neighborhood is a mix between professionals looking for a bargain and working class Hispanic." There's no bargains on Pine Grove. It's not "Buena Park," either. Demographics are a mix. Older, younger ... gay/straight ... and those who work and live there will tend to have good jobs because rent/condo prices aren't inexpensive. There are a couple of exceptions to this last statement, probably. Good transportation with busses on LSD and there might be an express bus to Downtown that joins the Drive at Irving Park. The closest Red Line "El" station is probably a 10-minute walk ... over at Sheridan/Irving. Close to many things in East Lakeview. Shops. Restaurants. You're steps from the park and lake. I don't have information on crime statistics. There's Anshe Emet at Pine Grove and Grace St. (if you're Jewish). I've lived at two places in that neighborhood over the years: 3900 LSD, and at Grace and Halsted.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:57 PM

Thanks for all the insight , very helpful. You guys are great! As for Buena Park I think that is more north , though I am not sure. People have said both areas are very similar , in that it's a mix of professionals and students. We are looking at a condo building so I was very hopeful that the responses would be fair .Thanks!

Old 08-03-2012, 05:03 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,193,167 times
Hi there,

I've lived on the block for 40 years so I have a very good idea of the area.

Parking: Tough in the evening but most condos have some indoor parking. Not sure the availability but it should be fine. If you like having friends over then it might be tough for them to find parking unless the condo offers hourly parking or they come by bus/train.

Crime: Limited. Almost zero on Pine Grove itself. The problem area is on Broadway between Sheridan (going East/West) and Grace. This is street which has low rental housing and crime from time to time. It doesn't seep into Pine Grove, but I have learned to avoid this block when I can. I just walk down Pine Grove.

People: A real mix of young professionals, older people who have lived in the condos for a long time, middle and lower class living mostly in some of the older 4+1s. Just a really diverse population. Boystown is right down the block along with the great Whole Foods. Lots of coffee shops all over the place: Intelligensia, Saugatauk, Starbucks, etc. The Waveland golf course and tennis courts are right nearby as well as the bicycle path along the lake. Lots of great things.

Transit: Plentiful beyond belief. Express buses to Michigan Ave and Lasalle, the Red Line Sheridan stop, the 151 that runs all day, and if you are interested in a different kind of ride, there is always the Broadway 36 bus. Commute times are excellent to the city and the buses run all night long. The roads are some of the first to be plowed so rarely is their a problem with snow unless there is a really big storm.

If you have any other questions just ask. I know this block very well.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:19 PM

@richrf . Thanks for the info! Very excited to make the move from LP to lakeview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago