Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:53 AM

3,882 posts, read 6,786,638 times

Advertisements

I believe it says a lot about where they think our city is heading. I have thought Chicago is becoming more and more a technology center for a couple of years now. I know first hand that the e-commerce industry within Chicago is very strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 12:03 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,051,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
What do the local tech folks think about this?

New Enterprise Associates opens Chicago office - chicagotribune.com

It's good to see, and not that shocking really. The tech startup scene here is very hot. There are lots of good ideas floating around and there is a decent support infrastructure both financially but also in terms of mentor-ship. The biggest issue moving forward is going to be talented engineers. Or just engineers in general.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:00 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,039,652 times
Default Mixed bag...

Quote:

Honestly I think there are better opportunities in the region for the biotech / pharm / medical device firms like Abbott, Baxter, Medline and others.

Chicago attracts flaky poorly thought out "marketing driven" tech-ish type firms as opposed to the engineering heavy weights of the west coast -- 'Groupon Is A Disaster' - Business Insider

Thank you for your interest in Medline. | Medline Industries, Inc.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:11 AM

14,801 posts, read 17,587,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Honestly I think there are better opportunities in the region for the biotech / pharm / medical device firms like Abbott, Baxter, Medline and others.

Chicago attracts flaky poorly thought out "marketing driven" tech-ish type firms as opposed to the engineering heavy weights of the west coast -- 'Groupon Is A Disaster' - Business Insider

Thank you for your interest in Medline. | Medline Industries, Inc.
So NEA made a bad decision in your mind?

Old 10-19-2012, 05:01 PM

Default Depends...

Quote:
So NEA made a bad decision in your mind?
In case you didn't take a look at today's (Friday Oct 19) stock movement on Google's earnings miss I would think that NEA can certainly make investments in firs that will respond to the healthcare needs of the globally aging population with a considerably different level of uncertainity....

Old 10-19-2012, 09:37 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,794,780 times
Quote:

It's great news IMO. A big time VC firm has opened up offices here. What's not to love about that? That means they're committed to funding Chicago based companies and know there's room to grow their business. Why would they open up here if they didn't think they could do a lot of investing in local companies? They are not dumb people.

I think it will encourage more people in Chicago to start their own tech companies. You can only hope though, that a good percentage of them are actual good ideas and people aren't wasting their time and money trying to come up with either a proof of concept or a real product.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 PM

The stock market: "Your company has been a leader for 50 years. You grew your company this quarter in many areas, but unfortunately you missed expectations in 10% of your company. I know the business is strong and you have $2 billion in cash, and it grew, but look at the expectations! Now your stock is down 5% even though you grew in most areas, and the areas that are most important to the current market and your company."

Back when I did financial research for a few years with some big researchers, they would have these angry conversations with me about "stupid investors." They kept iterating, over and over, how if all the dumb investors in the stock market weren't there, then things would be much better and much more realistic.

The NEA news is great news. They will be investing more in Chicago, and people here will be more apt to try and start a business as an established VC firm centered in Silicon Valley now has an office here. Again, we can only hope the ideas that come into fruition are good ones more times than not. I think someone with a great idea is going to weigh the options anyway, and having this office here will probably sway them more towards doing it than not.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:58 AM

Default Some one really does not understand how VC firms work...

Investors, smart or dumb, is all a VC firm really is -- they are not like a bank that gives a company a loan based on the liklihood of that being repaid. When a VC firm makes an investment they are probably MORE critical of the start-ups timeline to profitability than a traditional retail stock investor becuase in most cases a VC firm is not going to have any shares of the firm to trade if things head down -- they'll just see their investment evaporate.

If the VC firms invest in firms in the medical devices sector there is a pretty good chance that cash flow alone will help make that investment pay off -- people have insurance that will pay for medical devices when needed.

The pathetic excuse for a business plan of too many tech firms goes more like this: "get a whole lot of buzz for our marketing driven web site, get thousand or millions of suckers to look at the web site, sign up lots of other suckers who want to waste their marketing dollars on the goofs looking at our web site, do an IPO, make ourselves rich, get out before it collapses"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The stock market: "Your company has been a leader for 50 years. You grew your company this quarter in many areas, but unfortunately you missed expectations in 10% of your company. I know the business is strong and you have $2 billion in cash, and it grew, but look at the expectations! Now your stock is down 5% even though you grew in most areas, and the areas that are most important to the current market and your company."

Back when I did financial research for a few years with some big researchers, they would have these angry conversations with me about "stupid investors." They kept iterating, over and over, how if all the dumb investors in the stock market weren't there, then things would be much better and much more realistic.

The NEA news is great news. They will be investing more in Chicago, and people here will be more apt to try and start a business as an established VC firm centered in Silicon Valley now has an office here. Again, we can only hope the ideas that come into fruition are good ones more times than not. I think someone with a great idea is going to weigh the options anyway, and having this office here will probably sway them more towards doing it than not.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:32 AM

14,801 posts, read 17,587,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Investors, smart or dumb, is all a VC firm really is -- they are not like a bank that gives a company a loan based on the liklihood of that being repaid. When a VC firm makes an investment they are probably MORE critical of the start-ups timeline to profitability than a traditional retail stock investor becuase in most cases a VC firm is not going to have any shares of the firm to trade if things head down -- they'll just see their investment evaporate.

If the VC firms invest in firms in the medical devices sector there is a pretty good chance that cash flow alone will help make that investment pay off -- people have insurance that will pay for medical devices when needed.

The pathetic excuse for a business plan of too many tech firms goes more like this: "get a whole lot of buzz for our marketing driven web site, get thousand or millions of suckers to look at the web site, sign up lots of other suckers who want to waste their marketing dollars on the goofs looking at our web site, do an IPO, make ourselves rich, get out before it collapses"...
Somehow you manage to write longwinded discourse without saying much. So is this good for Chicago or not? Googles stock price aside.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:29 AM

Only 30% of NEA invests in medical related companies. While I do think they will seek out some medical companies, they will hardly increase that percentage to be the more dominant one. They are here for the tech companies, not necessarily for the medical companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago