Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:32 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Weird. Rain doesn't make stages collapse, and lightning is much more likely to strike a skyscraper than a park. The people are no less likely to be struck by lightning outside the fence than they are inside the fence. It's not like leaving the festival grounds puts them into a magical no-lightning zone. I guess once they're outside of the fence they're no longer the festival's responsibility, so that's why they do it. Silly, regardless.
There were severe thunderstorm warnings out for the entire metro area, 80mph winds in the western suburbs, 60mph at Midway, 50mph in Grant Park, 60mph on the north side along with lightning that averaged 10 strikes per second over the southern half of the metro area and left something like 225,000 people without power. I tried to take a cab near Wrigley Field and had to divert twice for huge trees down over Waveland and then another street just to the north.

They told the people to evacuate, with the preferred places to go being the three large underground parking garages that are set aside for this specific purpose during festivals, although many people (including my friends) wandered into the loop and found shelter inside stores. They obviously didn't want people outside.

If they'd just let 100,000 people mill around and didn't even try to get them into shelter you would have had every lawyer in the country pouring into Chicago if there were any injurises - that would have been the negligence opportunity of all time if they didn't even put their plans into action with the dire weather reports pouring in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 12:30 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Evacuating was definitely the right call. The festival and the city earn kudos for effectively evacuating and readmitting several hundred thousand people out of and back into grant park without "missing a beat" . It was kind of cool watching the storm from inside Northbridge anyway

Old 08-06-2012, 06:17 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
If they'd just let 100,000 people mill around and didn't even try to get them into shelter you would have had every lawyer in the country pouring into Chicago
Fair enough. It's probably because I come from a place with more storms and fewer lawyers that I found it odd. Still learning the local customs after several years.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:23 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchi60630 View Post
after what happenned with the stage collapse in Indiana last year, nobody wants a repeat or lawsuit so they evacuated lollapalooza.
There was also a recent stage collapse in Toronto, as well as one last year in Belgium. The radar on Saturday looks just as bad, if not worse, than it did in any of the three recent collapses.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:50 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,991 times
Yes ... about 70 miles long x 10 miles across, 45K Cloud Tops , 70 MPH gusts ... they made the right call ..
Attached Thumbnails
Evacapalooza-dereacho-copy-2.jpg  

Old 08-07-2012, 04:26 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
The Saturday storm was intensifying as it moved East into Indiana and over lake Michigan.

The same storm system prompted a tornado warning in NE Indiana.

I was curious how many stages were at the festival, unlike Indianapolis that had one stage.

Having multiple stage platforms increases the risk of recent stage collapses.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
The Saturday storm was intensifying as it moved East into Indiana and over lake Michigan.

The same storm system prompted a tornado warning in NE Indiana.

I was curious how many stages were at the festival, unlike Indianapolis that had one stage.

Having multiple stage platforms increases the risk of recent stage collapses.
there are 8 stages.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:19 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Thank you, I knew there were several stages at the festival.

Point being when we experienced the bad weather I am sure both the city and the management and stage hand personal made this decision together.

Cant remember the name of the band that was playing in Indianapolis but they are still in court over the mishap that took place down there.

Seems from what I have read most of the concert goers took it in stride and continued on with their night of fun and partying.

The ending could have been worse.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:23 AM

Honestly couldn't have went much smoother

Old 08-10-2012, 01:16 AM

145 posts, read 388,264 times
Do they block off the park so that people just walking around downtown can't see the show?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago