Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:36 AM

8 posts, read 29,122 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to Chicago if I get the job i was interviewing for. I did a lot of research and decided that I would try to look for a place in Lake View neighborhood. I am 27 single man.

One thing that worries me is the transportation as I have not figured that out. I would be working in the financial disctrict and my end station ( if i use the train) would LaSalle Station.

How far of a train ride is from LakeView to LaSalle station, and how accessible is train in the LakeView area?

Would you recommend using the public transportation or driving to work? I have a car but am worried about the rush traffic taking too long, and about finding parking.

Is it hard to find a parking place downtown? I am pretty sure company does not have its own parking lot so i I'd have to park someplace else.

Would using public parking be expensive?

Also I noticed some appartments advertise parking space at an extra cost. Do you have any idea what that cost might be? Just approximately. $100, $200, more? And does that mean that I will always have a parking place? ie noone else can take it?

Thank you very much...It would help me a lot if I could find these answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 09:47 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,611,986 times
There is no metra train that goes to the La Salle Station from Lakeview. If you wanted public transportation from there you'd need to take the bus or perhaps the red line "el".

Check out the Chicago Transit Authority website--you can type in addresses and it can tell you best way to get from point a to b on their network.

Public parking downtown is expensive, figure at least 200-250 a month. And the drive will be a hassle. As annoying as the CTA can be at times, that is probably your best bet.

if you get a parking spot with an apartment, it's yours. not sure about current rates.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:52 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,059,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mano1979 View Post
I may be moving to Chicago if I get the job i was interviewing for. I did a lot of research and decided that I would try to look for a place in Lake View neighborhood. I am 27 single man.

One thing that worries me is the transportation as I have not figured that out. I would be working in the financial disctrict and my end station ( if i use the train) would LaSalle Station.

How far of a train ride is from LakeView to LaSalle station, and how accessible is train in the LakeView area?

Would you recommend using the public transportation or driving to work? I have a car but am worried about the rush traffic taking too long, and about finding parking.

Is it hard to find a parking place downtown? I am pretty sure company does not have its own parking lot so i I'd have to park someplace else.

Would using public parking be expensive?

Also I noticed some appartments advertise parking space at an extra cost. Do you have any idea what that cost might be? Just approximately. $100, $200, more? And does that mean that I will always have a parking place? ie noone else can take it?

Thank you very much...It would help me a lot if I could find these answers.
If you're in Lakeview you won't be using the metra train system, you'll be using the CTA. Visit Chicago Transit Authority | 1-888-YOURCTA for maps and trip planning. If you have any apartment addresses in mind, you can use the CTA's route planner to find out the most efficient way to get downtown.

Unless your company will pay for your parking, you don't want to drive.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:21 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,315,647 times
Take the CTA, for sure. If you're over by the LaSalle Metra station, the Brown/Purple line might be for you. Or the Red Line. Depends on where you are headed.

Parking spaces will probably run you 100-150 a month in Lakeview. Maybe less, maybe more, depending on the landlord. If nothing else, you can sometimes rent a private garage space for 150 or 200.

Don't, as has been said, drive downtown. Traffic sucks and parking is expensive/impossible. Grab a cup of coffee and a paper and have a seat on the train. 4 bucks round trip or 75 a month for unlimited rides on bus and train.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:46 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,054,414 times
Yup, do the brown line. Much less of a hassle and you can just sit on the train and read a book or listen to music for the 12-18 minute ride

Old 10-03-2007, 05:17 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,211,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Yup, do the brown line. Much less of a hassle and you can just sit on the train and read a book or listen to music for the 12-18 minute ride

If you "do the brown line" consider that some stations are closed and that more will be closed, which can lead to a pretty brutal commute if you are affected by this.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:29 AM

77,702 posts, read 59,844,990 times
I would urge you to strongly consider getting rid of your car if you move to Chicago.

Parking, insurance, car maintenance etc. will be a significant outlay. (Not to mention the expensive tickets you WILL get if you street park in Chicago over time)
Public transportation is great and you can always take a cab or rent a car as the need arises and come out ahead in the long run.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:16 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,211,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I would urge you to strongly consider getting rid of your car if you move to Chicago.

Parking, insurance, car maintenance etc. will be a significant outlay. (Not to mention the expensive tickets you WILL get if you street park in Chicago over time)
Public transportation is great and you can always take a cab or rent a car as the need arises and come out ahead in the long run.

This has been beat to death, but again, you can have a car if you want one (I did for 6 years and NEVER got a ticket) but you can do it without a car as well.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:49 PM

8 posts, read 29,122 times
Thank you all for you comments. I will do some reasearch about CTA, and try to find an apt close to the stop.

As far as getting rid of my car...Irony is that i just got a brand new car 3 days ago because my old piece of junk died.

anyways...i hope to be up in chicago before the cold weather..who wants to move in decemeber..lol

anyways..thanks again.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:54 PM

77,702 posts, read 59,844,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
This has been beat to death, but again, you can have a car if you want one (I did for 6 years and NEVER got a ticket) but you can do it without a car as well.
I don't know his individual situation so I wouldn't suggest he keep nor get rid of his car....which is why I used the word "consider".

I brought this up because for someone moving from other parts of the country, it may not even dawn on you that you don't HAVE to own a car if you live in the city. This was advice passed to me when I moved there and I found it valuable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago