U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 05:25 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,392,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
All these places look pretty bad to me, especially the third one. I hate the flat rooftop Victorian. The ones with a triangle shape are somewhat redeemable.

It if the homes do not have a colonial style like Beverly, River Forest, Sauganash. It look ugly to me and where are the lawns and trees.
There's not always enough room for lawns and trees in denser, older, inner neighborhoods in cities. Thought that was sort of obvious?

Like I said, different strokes for different folks.

But between the above, and your preference for things like carpet over solid hard wood floor, it sounds like you have horrible taste. No offense.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 06:04 PM

9,329 posts, read 8,387,408 times
Stephie i dont know what you mean about a brown rust belt look. Do you mean buildings are coated with dirt?

Those pics that the person upthread showed were beautiful victorians. Those remind me of vintage 1969 era Old Town before it became sanitized.

I dont understand what you mean then. I can understand not enough greenery, but what exactly you want I dont understand. I know what some homes in Sauganash look like - if you mean like cottage homes??? Can you give some examples of what exactly you like?

Old 08-17-2012, 09:32 PM

63 posts, read 75,992 times
guys, come on.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:52 AM

is she making this thread up????

Old 08-18-2012, 10:37 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,538,762 times
Stephie is a suburbanite through and through. Maybe even Will / McHenry County material.

You hate the Northside, but love the Mag Mile? If I never went to that tourist trap again in my life, it'd be just fine by me.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:19 PM

i hate when the mag mile gets too crowded with too many people strolling around and making the bus ride too slow! like today with the air and water show that i had to go past to get to where i was going.

as for me, i like joy riding out to the suburbs and my ideal place would be mchenry county, volo, wauconda, chain of lakes, i live downtown and i need a change of pace. i would live in suburbs if i didn't have to commute. i enjoyed wheaton for awhile, but the commute was too boring everyday and too long, made the day too long. so i am here coz of work. but if i had my way, i'd be living near wisconsin border in the chain of lakes area.. its really pretty.

as for chicago, i do love to joy ride thru seeing the sights - the architecture of the city is beautiful and when you catch a piece of history, its cool, i.e. the old rowhouses, townhouses, especialy Astor street, those mansions are beautiful. also on Belden near DePaul , those townhouses are beautiful and there are trees. Dearborn Street on the north side is gorgeous, and even in Old Town you can still see beautiful old homes. sometimes you can even catch a bit of history as an old painted sign is still on there like a ghost of times past. Also Alta Vista Terrace which is between Irving park and Monrose has beauitful historic area, along with Belle Plaine over there, also Hawthorne street has mansions - from lake shore drive to a couple blocks west! and there are many trees, anytihng that cuts over to Lincoln park has a lot of trees.

so there you go for my take on some beauitful parts of the city and the suburbs

Old 08-18-2012, 04:20 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,970,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
AIt look ugly to me and where are the lawns and trees.
In the country, next to the corn fields.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:22 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,970,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I'm beginning to think so, yes.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:25 PM

15,335 posts, read 22,286,275 times
Quote:
i hate when the mag mile gets too crowded with too many people strolling around and making the bus ride too slow! like today with the air and water show that i had to go past to get to where i was going.
I avoid Michigan Ave at all costs when I am trying to get somewhere. If it's near Michigan or I have to go through it, I wait until the last possible street to get on it. Too many slow tourists.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:54 PM

896 posts, read 1,326,741 times
Quote:
No I am not making this up. These are just my real opinions and feelings. I grew up in the city but I had a big backyard and lawn. So I thought Chicago would be similar.

Nobody would dare in any other city and definitely Detroit advertise "tree line streets" to sell an apartment. I almost lmao when I saw this. Most normal cities have tree lined on there streets. The only other city I could see saying this is New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago