Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 03:18 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
...or in my case, when my old neighborhood got less diverse I left and followed the diversity!

I wish LV had evolved more along the lines of where the crowd I grew up wanted it to go, but the housing prices and rents skyrocketed once it got the rep of being LP's inexpensive alternative. I knew several of the folks in this:

Wild Chicago @ Punkin' Donuts, 8/31/90 (part 1)
Yeah, I've heard stories. I have no doubt I would have dug Lake View back then. (I was the right age, though toward the young end, but didn't live here yet.) That's the pattern of gentrification, though. Wicker Park / Bucktown eventually followed suit, Logan Square is on its way, and Pilsen may get there someday, too.

I, too, am a follow-the-diversity type, and yes, I realize that by doing so as a middle class white person I am contributing to the ultimate gentrification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 04:23 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
So, you've seen it, and it's not for you. We love the city. You love the suburbs. Luckily both exist, so we can all be happy.

Your racial perspective is interesting. I'm a white guy who doesn't live in Lincoln Park or Lakeview for the same reason I don't live in the suburbs. I thrive on interacting with people of all different backgrounds, racial and otherwise. I would think if I were an African-American woman I'd like those uber-white places even less, but who knows. I really love the diversity of people (and architecture, for that matter...LOTS of colors and styles!) in Pilsen, where I live. I also see tons of multiracial couples there, and not just in the most stereotypical configurations (i.e. white man w/ asian woman or black man w/ white woman), either.

Chicago doesn't have as many racially diverse neighborhoods as many cities, but it has a few. The white people who intentionally choose less diverse neighborhoods like LP and LV often (not always, but often) do so because they are more comfortable being around people who are similar to them. I wouldn't be surprised if these people are statistically less likely to want to date outside their race.

The weird thing is that I will admit I do not enjoy a diverse culture, and I am not talking about race. Lakeview and Lincoln Park has a softer culture that I am use to. But I become frustrated because I see most people are not open to dating different races.
I think that is why I like Oak Park culturally is it very similar. Most people are educationed, went to college, clean cut, but open to interracial dating.

Btw, I do not love the suburb culture. I am single, I would become bored. I just like the suburb look with modern apartments. My ideal city would have the energy of Chicago with a more suburban look.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:40 PM

928 posts, read 1,712,484 times
Thank god the city doesn't look like the suburbs.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:49 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
When the poster upthread talked about the city being too brown, i immediately thought about the color scheme of the buildings. Especially downtown where there are not many trees. I don't get mad at the person because she is craving something, if thats' what she is talking about. OK if she is talking about greenery, then you can see for yourself if you go out of town to a nice area for a vacation, for a few days, you come back to town, and chicago is ugly in parts. i.e. when Amtrak brings you in thru St Louis, if you come from south, its totally ugly with the smoke stacks, and some of the railroad areas are pretty dingy. I myself crave more greenery. But if she is talking about brown meaning people, well then, thats different.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:32 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,512,756 times
A lot of the River North residential high rises built in the last 25 years fit the "ugly brown or beige" description. And I agree that they're not so great looking.

But I find a lot of vintage stuff quite nice, despite the earth-tones. These 3 were featured on Curbed in the past 3 days:

Different strokes.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:38 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
The weird thing is that I will admit I do not enjoy a diverse culture, and I am not talking about race. Lakeview and Lincoln Park has a softer culture that I am use to. But I become frustrated because I see most people are not open to dating different races.
I think that is why I like Oak Park culturally is it very similar. Most people are educationed, went to college, clean cut, but open to interracial dating.

Btw, I do not love the suburb culture. I am single, I would become bored. I just like the suburb look with modern apartments. My ideal city would have the energy of Chicago with a more suburban look.
So, why do you not live in Oak Park? If anything, the fact that Chicagoland apparently has a place to satisfy someone who doesn't enjoy diversity but likes interracial dating, and who likes the energy of a city with a suburban look, both of which sound like direct contradictions to me -- Well, that's an indication that we really do have everything here.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:41 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Thank god the city doesn't look like the suburbs.
Amen.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
When the poster upthread talked about the city being too brown, i immediately thought about the color scheme of the buildings. Especially downtown where there are not many trees. I don't get mad at the person because she is craving something, if thats' what she is talking about. OK if she is talking about greenery, then you can see for yourself if you go out of town to a nice area for a vacation, for a few days, you come back to town, and chicago is ugly in parts. i.e. when Amtrak brings you in thru St Louis, if you come from south, its totally ugly with the smoke stacks, and some of the railroad areas are pretty dingy. I myself crave more greenery. But if she is talking about brown meaning people, well then, thats different.

No, I am not talking about that. I am talking about the brown rust belt overtone of the buildings.
I do get depressed when I travel to other cities and come back to Chicago. It is so ugly to me, especially coming back for L.A.

I have a feeling when I come back from Seattle in couple weeks, I am really going to be crying!

Old 08-17-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
A lot of the River North residential high rises built in the last 25 years fit the "ugly brown or beige" description. And I agree that they're not so great looking.

But I find a lot of vintage stuff quite nice, despite the earth-tones. These 3 were featured on Curbed in the past 3 days:

Different strokes.
All these places look pretty bad to me, especially the third one. I hate the flat rooftop Victorian. The ones with a triangle shape are somewhat redeemable.

It if the homes do not have a colonial style like Beverly, River Forest, Sauganash. It look ugly to me and where are the lawns and trees.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
So, why do you not live in Oak Park? If anything, the fact that Chicagoland apparently has a place to satisfy someone who doesn't enjoy diversity but likes interracial dating, and who likes the energy of a city with a suburban look, both of which sound like direct contradictions to me -- Well, that's an indication that we really do have everything here.

I will soon once I eventually get a car. However, my ultmate goal is the move out West.
Also, I am again not talking a race. Culture and race are completely different things. For example, Minneapolis has different races, but overall the attitude, the way people conduct themselves are similar and understand the rules.

With different culture, you can have more abvasive rude people or just different which does not bring a condusive socieity.

Why do you Chicago has so many racial problems as opposed to Seattle or Minneapolis. Cultural difference.

Why do Asian get along better with Whites and typical African Americans.
Cultural differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago