U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 10:15 PM

305 posts, read 813,397 times

Advertisements

I may be attending school in Chicago next fall. Either Loyola or NU probably. Ive been looking at places in Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, and Ukranian Village.

People have also mentioned Buckview and Lakeview. I am a 23 year old male. I would prefer to live somewhere that has a solid nightlife and has somewhat of a younger population. That said I will be in grad school, so I probably will not be able to go out as much as i my college days. I would preferably like to pay know more than $900 and am definitely willing to find roommates to get a even lower price. I would also like to have access to public transportation, to get to whichever school I go to, I will not have a car so this is a must.

Do Buckton and Lakeview fit this description? Thanks for your help.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 10:31 PM

15,322 posts, read 21,300,309 times
Both are good areas for younger crowds, although I'd say Bucktown is maybe a little more restrained? It's hard to say. IMO one of the best nightlife areas in the city is right between Wicker Park and Bucktown (Damen-North-Milwaukee area). The blue line train and buses go through Bucktown. I'd say for Lakeview there's an eclectic mix. Probably more sports bars than Bucktown, but still can be eclectic too.

There's probably better public transit going through Lakeview because there's the Red, Brown, and Purple lines going through there (although Purple only stops at one place there). Do you know which campuses you would be going to for Loyola or Northwestern? Both have small campuses downtown (medical school for NU and Business/Law for Loyola). If it's the main campuses up north (i.e. Evanston for NU), then it would probably make more sense to live in an area like Lakeview because it's a straight shot up and pretty fast. If you were going to school in Evanston and lived in Bucktown, you'd probably have to take a bus across and then transfer to a train from there and your commute would be more if commute is a big concern.

As far as budget goes, you can afford both areas especially with roommates. If you found two other roommates, you could actually find some good places for that budget in numerous areas of the city..

Old 08-08-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Both are good areas for younger crowds, although I'd say Bucktown is maybe a little more restrained? It's hard to say. IMO one of the best nightlife areas in the city is right between Wicker Park and Bucktown (Damen-North-Milwaukee area). The blue line train and buses go through Bucktown. I'd say for Lakeview there's an eclectic mix. Probably more sports bars than Bucktown, but still can be eclectic too.

There's probably better public transit going through Lakeview because there's the Red, Brown, and Purple lines going through there (although Purple only stops at one place there). Do you know which campuses you would be going to for Loyola or Northwestern? Both have small campuses downtown (medical school for NU and Business/Law for Loyola). If it's the main campuses up north (i.e. Evanston for NU), then it would probably make more sense to live in an area like Lakeview because it's a straight shot up and pretty fast. If you were going to school in Evanston and lived in Bucktown, you'd probably have to take a bus across and then transfer to a train from there and your commute would be more if commute is a big concern.

As far as budget goes, you can afford both areas especially with roommates. If you found two other roommates, you could actually find some good places for that budget in numerous areas of the city..

Thanks for this. To answer your question, for either the school the campus I would be attending would be located in the downtown area.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:37 PM

76 posts, read 258,537 times
Lakeview hands down, near Wrigleyfield. Lots of bars, young crowd, it's like a huge party, especially on game nights. Bucktown has been going through a renovation but is still a bit sketchy. There is some nightlife there but not as much. The train is right there in Lakeview that'll take you straight to Northwestern or Loyola, Bucktown would be much more of a hassle. Make sure to check out a map of the Rail System against where you plan on living. Go Wildcats!

Old 08-08-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahasseehero1 View Post
Thanks for this. To answer your question, for either the school the campus I would be attending would be located in the downtown area.
Okay, that helps. Look at areas of Ukrainian Village too (though I think you mentioned it). If you lived in Bucktown, to get to school downtown you could pretty much take the blue line to the Jackson stop and transfer (free, transfering includes walking in a tunnel under the street) to the red line up a few stops. From the Western Blue Line stop, it's probably 15 minutes ride down to Jackson, then another 4-6 minutes on the red line to Grand (for Northwestern) or Chicago (for Loyola) stops. Lakeview depends on where you live, but it's possible it's a red line straight down, or maybe get on a brown line and transfer to red line and get off at the red line stops I mentioned above. From Belmont in Lakeview, a ride on the red line down to Chicago is probably a minimum of 10 minutes, although it can stretch to 15-17 when the train is packed in the morning (which happens everyday between certain hours).

What kind of "scene" are you looking for? Are you someone more into sports and/or frat type of stuff? Are you more into art/music type of stuff? Middle? I think that would help determine some things too. Is having a great commute more important than where to live or would you sacrifice a commute time of 10 minutes longer than the other if you liked the area more?

Old 08-08-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Okay, that helps. Look at areas of Ukrainian Village too (though I think you mentioned it). If you lived in Bucktown, to get to school downtown you could pretty much take the blue line to the Jackson stop and transfer (free, transfering includes walking in a tunnel under the street) to the red line up a few stops. From the Western Blue Line stop, it's probably 15 minutes ride down to Jackson, then another 4-6 minutes on the red line to Grand (for Northwestern) or Chicago (for Loyola) stops. Lakeview depends on where you live, but it's possible it's a red line straight down, or maybe get on a brown line and transfer to red line and get off at the red line stops I mentioned above. From Belmont in Lakeview, a ride on the red line down to Chicago is probably a minimum of 10 minutes, although it can stretch to 15-17 when the train is packed in the morning (which happens everyday between certain hours).

What kind of "scene" are you looking for? Are you someone more into sports and/or frat type of stuff? Are you more into art/music type of stuff? Middle? I think that would help determine some things too. Is having a great commute more important than where to live or would you sacrifice a commute time of 10 minutes longer than the other if you liked the area more?

I guess I would classify myself in the middle. I mean I like watching sports a lot, but I definitely dont have a frat type of personality. I love different types of independent music and different types of artsy stuff, but I wouldn't classify myself as a hipster.

I would be willing to sacrifice a little bit of commute time to live in area I like more, but wherever I live has to have easy access to some form of form of public transportation.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahasseehero1 View Post
I guess I would classify myself in the middle. I mean I like watching sports a lot, but I definitely dont have a frat type of personality. I love different types of independent music and different types of artsy stuff, but I wouldn't classify myself as a hipster.

I would be willing to sacrifice a little bit of commute time to live in area I like more, but wherever I live has to have easy access to some form of form of public transportation.
Yeah. You see, there's a big time sports mentality in many areas of Lakeview. Lakeview is a big area though, so there's more artsy areas and there's more fratty sports types of areas. For example, someone above mentioned Wrigleyville. Wrigleyville is where Wrigley Field (Cubs) is, meaning it's more sports bar-ish, college-ish or tourist/visiting for the cubs game, frat atmosphere. On the other hand, you can walk a few blocks away and be at an area that might be more artsy, or walk in the other direction and hit boystown ("gay section" of town). There's nightlife areas that are definitely more college/frat oriented, areas that might be a little more alternative, and other areas that might be in the middle.

IN an area like Wicker Park and Bucktown, I'd say it's more independent. As my coworker said, who lives near Southport, "I'm moving to Bucktown/Wicker Park because I'm tired of getting off the train and seeing 200 people who look exactly like me."

Bucktown and Wicker Park I'd say are kind of middle. They're areas that are gentrifying or have gentrified. You can still find people who are more artsy there, or more "gentrified" middle types of people. For establishments, get off the blue line at the Damen stop. On one hand you have Violet Hour which is one of the nicest cocktail lounges in the city. Right near there is Double Door which is a music venue, usually having harder rock or punk. Across the street is Ohm which is a decently nice nightclub. Right near there you have Flat Iron which has been known to play Slayer and have some very interesting (cool) wall murals. Near there are other nicer restaurants/bars. Book stores, record stores, etc. A thing I like that Lakeview doesn't have though that WP does is an arcade bar full of 40 classic arcade games and good cheap beer. The areas are a mix. You can get that in Lakeview too, but I'd say it's better in the Bucktown/Wicker Park/Ukrainian Village areas for having a better mix of just people in general.

Will you have time to visit Chicago before to scope these out?

Old 08-08-2012, 11:37 PM

3,396 posts, read 6,658,541 times
I'd definitely classify Bucktown as fully gentrified, while it's close to some areas that have a "hipster" reputation (Wicker Park, Logan Square) it's mostly families and young professionals. In general you don't get as much of a college/just out of college age crowd in Bucktown as in Lakeview. Metra runs from Bucktown up to Evanston pretty frequently if you need to get to the main NU campus, downtown campuses are easily accessible from both neighborhoods.

I think the best way to figure out which neighborhood has a nightlife you'll like is to look at the Reader, Time Out, or Metromix and pick 15-20 things you'd like to do (bars, restaurants, concerts, etc.). Then check the map and see which location would be more convenient to get to those things.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah. You see, there's a big time sports mentality in many areas of Lakeview. Lakeview is a big area though, so there's more artsy areas and there's more fratty sports types of areas. For example, someone above mentioned Wrigleyville. Wrigleyville is where Wrigley Field (Cubs) is, meaning it's more sports bar-ish, college-ish or tourist/visiting for the cubs game, frat atmosphere. On the other hand, you can walk a few blocks away and be at an area that might be more artsy, or walk in the other direction and hit boystown ("gay section" of town). There's nightlife areas that are definitely more college/frat oriented, areas that might be a little more alternative, and other areas that might be in the middle.

IN an area like Wicker Park and Bucktown, I'd say it's more independent. As my coworker said, who lives near Southport, "I'm moving to Bucktown/Wicker Park because I'm tired of getting off the train and seeing 200 people who look exactly like me."

Bucktown and Wicker Park I'd say are kind of middle. They're areas that are gentrifying or have gentrified. You can still find people who are more artsy there, or more "gentrified" middle types of people. For establishments, get off the blue line at the Damen stop. On one hand you have Violet Hour which is one of the nicest cocktail lounges in the city. Right near there is Double Door which is a music venue, usually having harder rock or punk. Across the street is Ohm which is a decently nice nightclub. Right near there you have Flat Iron which has been known to play Slayer and have some very interesting (cool) wall murals. Near there are other nicer restaurants/bars. Book stores, record stores, etc. A thing I like that Lakeview doesn't have though that WP does is an arcade bar full of 40 classic arcade games and good cheap beer. The areas are a mix. You can get that in Lakeview too, but I'd say it's better in the Bucktown/Wicker Park/Ukrainian Village areas for having a better mix of just people in general.

Will you have time to visit Chicago before to scope these out?

This is some great information. So far from what you have told me it seems like the Bucktown/Wicker Park/Ukranian Village area sounds more my style. Where I go to school now has the more frat type atmosphere. I have enjoyed it but it is kind of wearing on me. I have begun to enjoy the more artsy or mixed areas more I would say.

I should be able to make it out to Chicago before I make a decision if I am going to move there. I visited the city last November and thought is was amazing. I spent the days exploring downtown and at night I went to the Lincoln park area. I had a great time and it seemed to be a really good area. Unfortunately I didnt get to explore most of the neighborhoods we have been talking about, but as I said I should have the opportunity to do so eventually.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
I'd definitely classify Bucktown as fully gentrified,
There's still a few areas that aren't realllly gentrified that I've seen, but for the most part I'd agree with you. I think Wicker Park is less gentrified than Bucktown. Both are still nice areas, but I prefer Wicker Park over Bucktown for sure because of some of the edgier places, but also the nice places too (i love both worlds).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago