Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 07:11 PM

34 posts, read 82,398 times

Advertisements

Hello again everyone---

Background: I'm 24 and just got a job in the city.

I'm still weighing my options between Wicker Park and Lakeview, I may walk around both areas before deciding, or going with a place that's a decent price/ convenient.

Anyway, asides from some people I've met at work already, I'm basically starting my social life from square one ---- so I was wondering if I should live alone, or possibly live with roommates. Either way I've primarily been using Craiglist as my main apartment hunter.

Anyone have any experience finding roommates you haven't truly met before? Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Living alone has its benefits, of course, but meeting cool roommates could help me integrate into the city faster/ also its much lighter on the wallet.

Any advice appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Odds of meeting "cool roommates" is greatly overshadowed by potential for crazy / sloppy / dangerous / unethical roommates...

Unless you know your roommates from like college or work I would strongly recommend just getting most affordable place you can to start. If you don't have enough to afford living in Chicago on your own and do not have friends you could live with I really would not recommend moving here.

It is VERY easy to get integrated into the city with or without roommates...

Old 08-13-2012, 10:03 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,903,789 times
It depends really. I have never had a roommate in Chicago mainly because I want to do my own place to myself. I started out knowing nobody here, coming from a place where I "knew everybody" it seemed. Even if you don't have roommates, you can meet people. At work is a great way to do stuff like that. The first year I spent pretty much going out with people I work with (not directly, but at my company). I made some great friends like that, but in the end I decided I didn't want to go to fratty Lincoln Park/Lakeview bars. I made some closer friends in my neighborhood anyway and I'm glad I did.

The finding roommates thing is hit or miss. My girlfriend has done it. She's lived with a guy who was weird-ish but not harmful, and someone else cool. Her friends have done it too and found cool people as well.

If you're to do that, my suggestion is to meet with the person beforehand and have a drink with them or something. Make sure you're on the same page and make sure they aren't weird/creepy towards you type of thing. People do it quite a bit, but you have to be careful.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:08 PM

928 posts, read 1,712,380 times
Are you broke? Dying of crippling loneliness? If the answer isn't "yes" to both of these questions, there is no upside to having a roommate.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:10 PM

Default Atta girl!

Don't sugar coat it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Are you broke? Dying of crippling loneliness? If the answer isn't "yes" to both of these questions, there is no upside to having a roommate.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:56 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,912,956 times
When I was 24, which was a long time ago, I had roommates. Responsible, clean, mostly polite roommates with jobs. I met their friends, they met mine, and I got integrated into the life of the city (San Francisco) *very* quickly. I had a girlfriend within a few weeks, joined a band, etc. I'm not sure how I would have accomplished all that living alone, and I don't know why anyone would want to live alone at that age. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:05 AM

Wink Wow, I don't know what is harder to believe ...

The whole joining a band thing or a that some guy moved to SF and had a girlfriend, must've been a REALLY long time ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
When I was 24, which was a long time ago, I had roommates. Responsible, clean, mostly polite roommates with jobs. I met their friends, they met mine, and I got integrated into the life of the city (San Francisco) *very* quickly. I had a girlfriend within a few weeks, joined a band, etc. I'm not sure how I would have accomplished all that living alone, and I don't know why anyone would want to live alone at that age. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:16 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,903,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I think it depends on how social you are, where you work, etc. For example, at my work there's many people my same age. It's easy to live by yourself and go to work and be like "hey let's go out tonight" to some people.

I think you have a point, but I don't think for everyone it's the case.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:30 AM

76 posts, read 279,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker20 View Post
Hello again everyone---

Background: I'm 24 and just got a job in the city.

I'm still weighing my options between Wicker Park and Lakeview, I may walk around both areas before deciding, or going with a place that's a decent price/ convenient.

Anyway, asides from some people I've met at work already, I'm basically starting my social life from square one ---- so I was wondering if I should live alone, or possibly live with roommates. Either way I've primarily been using Craiglist as my main apartment hunter.

Anyone have any experience finding roommates you haven't truly met before? Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Living alone has its benefits, of course, but meeting cool roommates could help me integrate into the city faster/ also its much lighter on the wallet.

Any advice appreciated!
GET ROOMMATES!!! You won't regret it. Don't worry about them being weirdos, of course meet various prospects first and see if their lifestyle fits with yours. As another poster said, this is the absolute fastest way to get your social life going. Alone you will likely spend a lot of time... alone. I've had roommates many times and it was awesome. I still prefer having a condo/townhouse vs a house because it feels like my neighbors are roommates LOL. Plus you are 24 go have fun and get the most out of life don't start being too reserved yet!

Craigslist can have some weirdos on there, lots of legit posters as well don't get me wrong, but also check for postings at places like the local university.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:50 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,912,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The whole joining a band thing or a that some guy moved to SF and had a girlfriend, must've been a REALLY long time ago
June 1, 1977

Yes, old-timers are allowed to post in city-data!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago