Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 05:17 PM

3 posts, read 14,037 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

So I am moving to Chicago soon and am currently looking for apartments. I was looking at a few in the Buena Park/Uptown area (W. Wilson and Clarendon area as well as W. Winona and N. Sheridan area). I have read mixed reviews about the general area (many of which are a bit older), but was wondering if anyone can tell me how the area is currently?

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 07:38 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5055 View Post
Hello Everyone,

So I am moving to Chicago soon and am currently looking for apartments. I was looking at a few in the Buena Park/Uptown area (W. Wilson and Clarendon area as well as W. Winona and N. Sheridan area). I have read mixed reviews about the general area (many of which are a bit older), but was wondering if anyone can tell me how the area is currently?

Thanks for any input!
IMO Winona and Sheridan is nicer than Clarendon and Wilson...Wilson is still the roughest part of the area and the northern edge of Uptown has gotten noticeably nicer since a large mental facility was closed a year or so ago. My wife and I have lived within a block or two of the former for almost 4 years now and haven't had a single issue. I also prefer to be within walking distance of the Andersonville strip over Lake View.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:26 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Been in Buena Park for over 4 years now at Buena and Sheridan. Basically everything from Irving Park to Montrose is pretty, nice and safe. Some areas between Buena and Montrose are absolutely beautiful and wealthy.

Montrose to Lawrence is sketchy in some areas. If you are renting I'd probaby say to just avoid the mess and not do Sheridan/Broadway from Sunnyside up through Lawrence, and then avoid Leland by Broadway/Sheridan. It's almost all just annoying crazy people or gangbangers who are fussing after other gangbangers. Your "average citizen" isn't really going to be impacted personally by a lot of the crime, but who wants to mess with it.

The stereotype and visions of Uptown by many on the north side are MUCH worse than the reality.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:57 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
You have that beautiful historic Alta Vista Terrace in there,, it is gorgeous!!!

Old 08-23-2012, 10:40 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
You have that beautiful historic Alta Vista Terrace in there,, it is gorgeous!!!
Except that's not in Buena Park. Or anywhere else in Uptown.

Alta Vista is in Lakeview. It might possibly be considered part of Wrigleyville.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Except that's not in Buena Park. Or anywhere else in Uptown.

Alta Vista is in Lakeview. It might possibly be considered part of Wrigleyville.
It's 800 feet from the stadium itself - so I'm sure it's Wrigleyville, just a very quiet piece of it.

I like Alta Vista, but my favorite street in the neighborhood is definitely Hutchinson in Buena Park. An absolutely beautiful set of older mansions stuffed away right amid all the highrises and courtyard apartment buildings in Uptown. I'd definitely recommend checking it out. It's only about 2 blocks long, but the houses are to die for.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It's 800 feet from the stadium itself - so I'm sure it's Wrigleyville, just a very quiet piece of it.

I like Alta Vista, but my favorite street in the neighborhood is definitely Hutchinson in Buena Park. An absolutely beautiful set of older mansions stuffed away right amid all the highrises and courtyard apartment buildings in Uptown. I'd definitely recommend checking it out. It's only about 2 blocks long, but the houses are to die for.
Castlewood Terrace is also nice

Old 08-26-2012, 10:10 AM

226 posts, read 381,968 times
With the exception of about two blocks of gorgeous historic homes (that most of us will never afford), Buena Park is not as attractive as people make it out to be. It's also not nearly as cheap as people make it out to be (unless you're in the uglier parts). Two years ago I paid $900 a month for a small, crappy studio on Clarendon and Montrose. I never experienced a direct conflict, but I did hear gunshots a few times in the middle of the night.

If you're looking for a better value for your rent $$ try Edgewater or move a bit west from there towards Ravenswood/Lincoln Square (a bit pricier but deals can be had).

Old 08-26-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
With the exception of about two blocks of gorgeous historic homes (that most of us will never afford), Buena Park is not as attractive as people make it out to be. It's also not nearly as cheap as people make it out to be (unless you're in the uglier parts). Two years ago I paid $900 a month for a small, crappy studio on Clarendon and Montrose. I never experienced a direct conflict, but I did hear gunshots a few times in the middle of the night.

If you're looking for a better value for your rent $$ try Edgewater or move a bit west from there towards Ravenswood/Lincoln Square (a bit pricier but deals can be had).
lol

Old 08-26-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post

Really?? So except for Jr. Terrace and Hutchinson the rest of the area is "ugly"?? Definitely intriguing cause I've honestly always thought it to be one of the most beautiful and affordable areas of the north side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago