Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 04:50 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,785,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
I like that they kept their names from their old cities.
I agree. But for the Lakers, why didn't they ever come up with a logo that would really make sense by writing:

LAkers

????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 04:57 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,190,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
I like that they kept their names from their old cities.
Me, too, but mainly for the comedic effect.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:29 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,164,172 times
The one and only football game I ever attended was the Bears in 1965 in November. It was cold, and if that wasn't bad enough there was a light wind and little lake effect snow for drama. I think Chicago could support another team, but if it has a dumb name it would be more of an embarrassment than a ticket seller. I can't think of anything worse than a professional sports team with a dumb name and a losing record.

Stop and think about it. Chicago Wind or Chicago Storm would make more sense than Chicago Snow Bunnies.

Last edited by linicx; 08-29-2012 at 09:48 PM..

Old 08-29-2012, 09:44 PM

2,557 posts, read 3,606,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The one and only football game I ever attended was the Bears in 1965 in November. It was cold, and if that wasn't bad enough there was a light wind and little lake effect snow for drama. I think Chicago could support another team, but if it has a dumb name it would be more of an embarrassment than a ticket seller. I can't think of anything worse than a professional sports team with a dumb name a losing record.

Stop and think about it. Chicago Wind or Chicago Storm would make more sense than Chicago Snow Bunnies.
Here are some more bad ones...

Chicago Chi-Towns
Chicago Onions
Chicago Second Citians
Chicago Bluster
Northeast Illinois Illinoisians
Lake Michigan Illinoisians
Chicago Parking Enforcement
Chicago Rahms
Chicago Flash Mob
Chigago No-Olympics-for-You
Chicago Sianis
Chicago Tax
Chicago Belushis
Chicagoland Chicagolanders
Schaumburg Suburbanites

Old 08-29-2012, 09:46 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,164,172 times
How about Chicago's very own Daley Dozen?

Chicago Tax is priceless.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:53 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,190,337 times
Chicago Dogs
Chicagoats
Chicago Karts
Chicago Daddy.coms
New Lenox Cornfields
Munster Caucasians
Naperville Wasps
Chicagoland Lords
Chicagoland Sharks
Chicagoland O'Calrissians
Chicago Fire (oh, wait...)
Gary Railcats (oh, wait...)

Old 08-29-2012, 10:30 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,139,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Great post. California is different as you noted. But, let's face it, the LA situation was bizarre from the start. It made no sense for both teams to leave that market the same year. The owner of the Rams (was it Frontiani?) inherited the team from her late husband and wasn't the most stable of people. the Rams, the oldest of LA's teams, gave fans the notion of abandoning the city in the move to OC. The fan base was affected (and the stadium in Anaheim was as bad as Candlestick...a converted baseball park into a multi-purpose stadium for the Rams to share with the Angels; the Colliseum was better). Al Davis was a mercurial personality himself so both owners didn't make the best decisions.

I'm not sure where the NFL is going. Yes, I'd like to see a second team in Chicago. Will it happen? No. It is just kind of fun to conjecture on the subject.

as far as trump cards which, as you note, LA is for the NFL in getting markers to build new stadiums to avoid losing their team: I'm not sure the size of LA is what is salient. What is is to have a trump card. For MLB, that trump card was at the opposite end of the population spectrum: Tampa Bay. A speculative stadium, sitting empty in St. Pete, gave rise to many a new ballpark in other cities, starting with one on the south side of Chicago.

as for the 49ers, sure, they struggled to get a stadium built. but let's no forget that Eddie DeBartalo had a deal with the city to build a new stadium around candlestick point with a shopping complex he would have owned. DeBartalo lost control of the team for legal issues and his relatives who controlled it did nothing to get the project on track due to the turmoil in change of ownership. SF didn't help much either. It sacked its bid for the 2016 olympics (which would have used a new stadium) which didn't help the situation. the new owners were so determined to build a new stadium where there was land (for tailgating, so they said) in santa clara they never took SF's offerings seriously again.

The Raiders did fairly well last year. Drawing similar numbers to the Chicago Bears and selling out pretty much all their games. You have to take into account the late Al Davis senility factor. His last half dozen years or so, he had clearly lost it and was holding on just for the sake of holding on. That being said, the two markets are apples and oranges.

Both teams enjoy markets far beyond their metros. The bay area is 7 mil but you have some moderately populated areas with in proximity(Sac-Joaquin valley, Tahoe, Far north coast, central coast, etc). They pretty much have domination over the entire Nor Cal Media market, which is roughly the population of Illinois... with no competition save San Diego and Seattle which take hours to drive to.

Every football team in California is in dire need of new facilities, but in this economy California tax payers are reluctant to shell out billions of dollars for new stadiums. So I don't really see anything changing in the near future.

Another thing to factor in is that California is very transplanted/transient. So you don't really have the same inter-generational loyalties. A patriarch will root for the jets, because he is from new york. The son will root for the 9ers, because that was the only show in town in the 80's. And the grandson will root for the Raiders, because that is the local east bay team for El Cerrito or where ever.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:36 AM

you guys are a BIG disappointment to me. All those names you generated and not one of you came up with the Chicago Blagos.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
The Raiders did fairly well last year. Drawing similar numbers to the Chicago Bears and selling out pretty much all their games. You have to take into account the late Al Davis senility factor. His last half dozen years or so, he had clearly lost it and was holding on just for the sake of holding on. That being said, the two markets are apples and oranges.

Both teams enjoy markets far beyond their metros. The bay area is 7 mil but you have some moderately populated areas with in proximity(Sac-Joaquin valley, Tahoe, Far north coast, central coast, etc). They pretty much have domination over the entire Nor Cal Media market, which is roughly the population of Illinois... with no competition save San Diego and Seattle which take hours to drive to.

Every football team in California is in dire need of new facilities, but in this economy California tax payers are reluctant to shell out billions of dollars for new stadiums. So I don't really see anything changing in the near future.

Another thing to factor in is that California is very transplanted/transient. So you don't really have the same inter-generational loyalties. A patriarch will root for the jets, because he is from new york. The son will root for the 9ers, because that was the only show in town in the 80's. And the grandson will root for the Raiders, because that is the local east bay team for El Cerrito or where ever.
i agree about publicly funded stadiums being off the books, but I do see a privately financed stadium in LA being a distinct possibility. at some point, the NFL has to give up the insanity of LA not having a franchise and there is no place to put it since neither the Colliseum nor the Rose Bowl could function as a modern NFL stadium.

the stadium issue is really the only major problem the Raiders face. The Colliseum sucks. Any stadium built in the East Bay or even in Silicon Valley (I'm not sure it would be an issue even with the Niners in Santa Clara) would work. The second team syndrome that the Raiders face in relationship with the 49ers is much less than what the A's face with the Giants in MLB. I'm not sure the A's can compete with the Giants, especially with the Giants in DT SF and in one of the best parks in MLB. But the Raiders can make it a go in bay if they have a new stadium.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:46 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,889,713 times
How 'bout The Chicago Tune-ups?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago