Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:10 AM

83 posts, read 240,215 times

Advertisements

oh wow I didn't expect to get this many replies. Thanks guys. Well the vinyl tiles are really old and ugly looking. Also, I knocked out a closet to make the basement more spacious so the tiles are off now. I "packaged" this job into a big project for the house so i got the price down to $2300 for this job. My friend recommends me this guy. My friend speaks highly of his work. I plan to rent the basement out for $1100 at least.

I'm thinking of getting the cheapest tiles at home depot. It has good reviews. Has anyone used these tiles before?

Earth Sand 12 in. x 12 in. Beige Ceramic Floor and Wall Tile-ULAJ at The Home Depot

Anywhere else i can get inexpensive but long lasting tile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 12:37 AM

588 posts, read 1,799,412 times
Those would probably be adequate. Between Depot, Lowes and Menards you'll be able to find something decent in that price range. In my opinion $1100 isn't exactly cheap rent, so don't go with cheap looking tile that you wouldn't want in your own house. No, you're not going to put travertine in this, but also don't pick anything that screams cheap. Versabond thinset from Depot is actually good stuff and very reasonably priced. Don't go cheap with the grout and make sure you seal it. The number one thing that makes tile look bad is dirty grout.

Make sure the tile setter consults with you and is receptive to your design input, but make sure he's knows his skill set and will be willing to tell you why he will or won't install in a particular way. As an example, my tile setter showed me how my room was out of square and he recommended a diagonal install. I'm a very handt guy but an install like this would have probably been out if my skill set. My tile guy went up huge in points when he told me about this because he could have gone lazy and did a traditional install and fudged some of the endings. So to me this showed his knowledge and experience and why this is his full time job.

But back to your job...Google how to make sure you don't have excessive moisture coming through the slab and also make sure you don't have excessive cracking in the concrete. If you do, it's best to treat it now than hope the new coverings won't fail. Tile sure as hell ain't light, the last thing you want to do is rip it out.

I have basically gutted and fully reno'ed my house and have done 90% of the work myself because simply put, no one cares about your place as much as you. But recognize when the job might be bigger than you and a pro will actually save you money because you won't be wasting time or material and the results might be better than what you are capable of.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,209 times
You guys seem to have an easier time finding ?good skilled labor at an incredibly low price.

We found a place on Angie's List that gets excellent reviews and is even having a sale on tiling. Essentially about $42 per hour for lab for tiling. We will do a very small bathroom, but the estimate was up to an 8 hour job. Of course, he has to remove the toilet and the cutting is more complex in a small bathroom with quite a few irregular sides.

But in my mind $25 per hour for labor putting in tile could work... if you are lucky.... or could be crap. I would make sure you have reviews on this guy's work and find out if there will be someone overseeing the project. Our last tile project was crap and they had to come back and repeat the grouting. 3 years later, it looks amaturish, is chipping and pisses me off.

Remember... sometimes you get what you pay for.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:21 AM

I totally agree that you must know who you're getting. I feel that word of mouth and referrals can be even better than Angie's List. In today's economy there is sadly a lot of skilled labor and trades that are fighting for jobs and projects. My advice is don't contract through Depot or other stores like this since the store takes their cut and subcontracts it out. Also, typically, things like tile jobs aren't necessarily quote by the hour. Well, let's put it this way, they can quote by the hour, but if they go 10 hrs instead of 8 they get nothing else. Flip side, if it takes them 6, you get no money back either. Normally a job is quoted by its entirety not per hour. Then you hire who you feel best with. Expensive might not be better, but cheaper can be a disaster. There is no shortage of skilled reasonably priced tradesman out there, just gotta know where to find them.

Like I've said above, the more prework you can do to drive down cost the better. Most demo work is not complex (I didn't say easy because you will sweat and exert some energy). Taking down walls, pulling toilets and vanities, etc. can be done by any able bodied person. Let's say the homeowner is an elderly woman, well that's the time to call in the adult Grand kids, etc.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
But back to your job...Google how to make sure you don't have excessive moisture coming through the slab and also make sure you don't have excessive cracking in the concrete. If you do, it's best to treat it now than hope the new coverings won't fail. Tile sure as hell ain't light, the last thing you want to do is rip it out.
Thanks for the advices. I wish I had the handy skills as you do. My guy told me the basement has been flooded before, it shows when he knocked down the closet and saw water stains under the wood baseboard. May be that's why the tiles have bubbles. Given the basement has been flooded before, should I do anything to the concrete slab flooring before putting the new tiles on?

Old 08-30-2012, 01:23 PM

One more thing, my basement has wood paneling on the wall. They make the basement look very dark. I'd like to paint them white or very light/bright color. I was quoted $700 to do all that. I think that is way too steep. From googling, i know that panting the wood paneling requires

1)sanding the paneling (I probably can get some guy from Home Depot parking lot to do this for $50)
2)apply primer
3)paint.

I can do 2 and 3 myself. Is there anything else I'm missing here?

This is my very first live in investment property and I'm relatively young so it has been extremely helpful and eye opening getting insights from you guys. Thanks again.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:08 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Spot On!

Angie's List is for suckers that can't get recommendations from actual friends / family. It is like hanging a sign around your neck that says "I don't have a clue"

Even worse are the scams that are set-up through the big box stores -- these guys you have the above sign around your neck as well the ability to overpay for stuff from "fake" discounts that the big box stores dream-up. Cross shop as local supplier and PRESTO the local guy is cheaper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
I totally agree that you must know who you're getting. I feel that word of mouth and referrals can be even better than Angie's List. In today's economy there is sadly a lot of skilled labor and trades that are fighting for jobs and projects. My advice is don't contract through Depot or other stores like this since the store takes their cut and subcontracts it out. Also, typically, things like tile jobs aren't necessarily quote by the hour. Well, let's put it this way, they can quote by the hour, but if they go 10 hrs instead of 8 they get nothing else. Flip side, if it takes them 6, you get no money back either. Normally a job is quoted by its entirety not per hour. Then you hire who you feel best with. Expensive might not be better, but cheaper can be a disaster. There is no shortage of skilled reasonably priced tradesman out there, just gotta know where to find them.

Like I've said above, the more prework you can do to drive down cost the better. Most demo work is not complex (I didn't say easy because you will sweat and exert some energy). Taking down walls, pulling toilets and vanities, etc. can be done by any able bodied person. Let's say the homeowner is an elderly woman, well that's the time to call in the adult Grand kids, etc.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 PM

You have to determine where the water is coming from. Is it a crack in the foundation and seepage is coming in? Or do you have excessive vapor through the slab? If you have water you must determine where it is coming from because, as you know, water can equal mold. Again google for these answers and steps to take.

Now if you can answer for us, are you an able bodies person that just doesn't feel like they have the ability, or do you have some physical limitations? I just ask because it can influence answers. To clarify, there's a difference between not wanting to rip down walls because you are afraid of what's behind them, that's just an experience issue. Or if you have a blown shoulder and bad knees, etc. that limits you.

So that ties in to your paneling question. Sanding is very easy and if you can do steps 2 and 3 you can easily do step 1. Just get a decent power sander and sanding blocks for more detailed areas, a face mask and gloves. Oh how old is this house again. Just want to make sure no chance of lead paint (I doubt it). So sand, clean, prime with Kilz or Zinnser, then top with a good quality paint. How many square feet are we talking here? $700 sounds a tad high, but without seeing the area and knowing how much area there is to cover, it's hard to know what's fair.

But your first step is to determine if you have seepage, vapor or other water issues. Tile can withstand more moisture than vinyl, but both can fail with too much water. We will have some good rain this weekend, that should let you know. Good luck. Btw, I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I'm no professional, but am always learning.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,075 times
Thumbs down That's kind of an insanely cheap hourly wage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer79 View Post
$2500 is on the high side for just labor in my opinion. I think $2,000 is more reasonable (yet still the on the high end of my range). $25 an hour is an acceptable hourly rate, I think you could even negotiate down to $20. It should take 2 men with 2 slam scrapers no more than one day to break all of the vinyl tile off the basement slab. Especially if it is bubbling up already.

2 men should also be able to do the install in no more than 2, 3 days tops.

2 men working 8 hour days:
16 X 4 = 64 hours
64 X 25 = $1,600

That is a 4 day total to complete the job. At $25 an hour, working at a good clip, that is a reasonable expectation. Get them down to $20 and hour and you can do the math.

I have not known ceramic to make a harsh sound, but for a basement rental I agree that vinyl is better. It is much easier and faster to install and should make it no more than a 3 day job. It is also cheaper. Unless the neighborhood (or your preference) warrants a higher-end finish, I would go with vinyl.

I have been a landlord/property manager for about 15 years. Me and and my brother broke up the existing vinyl in about the same size unit in a basement in roughly one day. It can be tough, backbreaking labor.

Hope this helps.

I don't know where you live or in what time period, but you really think $20 an hour is a good wage for both a tile professional and a helper to split?? That's insanely cheap! For one I cannot survive or pay my bills if I made less than $16 an hour myself, and another $10-12 an hour for my helper... Honestly though, I prefer to charge $30-35 an hour if charging by the hour to do work. And after 15 years of experience I would refuse to work for $10 am hour to do my line of work. It takes skill and knowledge and that costs money. I definitely think if you find two people doing your tile for $10 each an hour then you're gonna probably get an unsatisfactory job when completed.. And I'm actually cheaper than everyone in my area.

Last edited by JohnBurgess29; 04-09-2015 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: Misspelled a word

Old 04-09-2015, 01:19 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
I have tile in my basement that is very similar to the earth sand tile above. Does anyone have any recommendations for tile people? I am looking to do some additional tile work down there. I'd never put ceramic tile in a basement, way too expensive. I have vinyl tile and an area rug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago