Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 06:14 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times

Advertisements

Jesse Jackson once suggested that we bring in the National Guard to stop the killings. I didn't agree with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 06:38 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificWest View Post
Drastic times call for Drastic measures, Bring in the National Guard! To get some control over Gangs Violence in Chicago every single day.

It's obvious with over 100,000 Gang Members in Chicago, Gang Capital of the Country, things have gotten over the head of Chicago finest.

For as crime period, pass the law that will allow law abiding citizens to carry concealed weapons.

Every state has that right except Illinois.
Read over the posts in this thread, then read over them again. The answer is no.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:59 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,613 times
The Illinois National Guard is primarily trained to conduct combat operations just like the regular Army and Air Force. They have cursory training in riot control. Other than the MPs, they are not trained to conduct long-term policing operations. Even the MPs are not particularly well suited to that type of task in a civilian environment. This is a problem that has to be addressed by local authorities. Local residents have to participate as well. I hear over and over in many of these cases that witnesses and even surviving victims don't want to give any information to the police.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:05 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Probably not. From living in gang infested areas I feared getting caught in the crossfire more than getting robbed. A gun might be helpful if you are being robbed(big maybe there), or if your house is being broken into but it does nothing to be armed when some idiot fires at a nearby rival gang member.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCP View Post
Exactly. A concealed weapon on the street is only useful if the carrier has (1) enough notice to draw his weapon in time to deter a criminal action and (2) the skill/training to use it properly (and not panic). And even in a best-case scenario, there is still the serious problem of police (or, for that matter, other weapon-carrying civilians) trying to distinguish between gun-wielding criminals and gun-wielding do-gooders.

As for the National Guard, most NG soldiers lack the training and experience to be effective at the kind of policing the OP apparently recommends. Guardsmen might be deployed usefully to fill less specialized roles (e.g. crowd control at events, security at City Hall), thereby freeing up a few extra veteran officers for anti-gang duty. But we could do the same with auxiliary police or other law enforcement support units (which I favor).

I always wondered why so many people say this. I think people should have the right ot own a gun esp. for protection also but that won't necessarily help if you got some punks shooting up the block and you get hit with a stray bullet.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times

BattleStar Galactica S1 - "Who becomes the enemy of the state?" - YouTube

Old 08-28-2012, 01:55 AM

588 posts, read 1,800,109 times
I love the tag line of "bring in the National Guard". As others have properly stated localized Policing is not something they are trained, allowed or experienced in doing. It is a rather uninformed and misguided thing to say to say the least. Now I am a believer in CCW but that turns into another whole discussion of how to implement properly. There's a difference between a veteran cop (like myself) carrying off duty who has been doing it for 15 years, has hundreds of hours of training and has shot tens of thousands of rounds compared to someone who shoots 200 rounds in a training class and then carries on the street. But I do agree that there needs to be some avenue for the lawful citizen to carry. About 90% of the shootings and murders are gang on gang so I say good riddance. But I do feel sorry for the neighborhoods that are being destroyed by the violence. But the best way for these neighborhoods to help get out of the violence if for the residents of the neighborhood to actively fight for a change. You can't soley rely on the "outsiders" of a neighborhood, that being the Police, to make much of a change if the residents don't fight for the same change.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:05 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
The clergy has spoken on this matter and the people who live in these neighborhoods have spoken.
Cant stess enough they speak loud but do not take action in their own neighborhood , turn the idiots in who are the problem..

One MAJOR problem is the people in these neighborhoods are vocal , but when push comes to shove they just sit on their hands as usual.

Typical as they want to curb the killings but do not turn in the thugs or call the PD when needed.

If you want change then you need the people not just talking about the recent acts but actually getting involved which you DO not have.

In addition it has been brought up a few times the overall murder rate is still down .

Just to mention this is not in any way shape or form meant to say innocent victims are not effected by stray bullets or meant to sound harsh to the folks who live in the neighborhoods.

I am just seeing this for what it is and its the citizens who are not turning in the gangbusters and the drug dealers.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:17 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
When the local law enforcement loses control of the situation, that is a classic case for imposition of martial law. The police know who the gang leaders are and where they live. Impose martial law, bring in the NG, cordon off the affected blocks of the city, root them out by whatever means necessary and quarantine them. If they resist arrest, shoot them. Keep the state of martial law in effect until peace and rule of law is restored in the city. The question I can't answer is what to do with the surviving gang members after peace is restored.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:45 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
They also need to find out where the guns are coming from and prevent straw purchasing by having better tracking of the guns that are sold.

We've got to put the family back together! Everytime I bring up this subject people get offended because they've been taught men are not needed in young peoples lives and marriage is a thing of the past. One thing is to redo social services and not allow out of wedlock baby having to receive government assistance. Another is offer incentives for people who are married to stay married and keep the family together.

Until we learn to take a deeper look at the problem and progressively get to the bottom of it, we are in trouble.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:50 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
They also need to find out where the guns are coming from and prevent straw purchasing by having better tracking of the guns that are sold.
How did this turn from violent outlaw gangs to gun control?! The problem is that criminal gangs are controlling parts of a major US city and local LE is over-powered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago