Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 12:58 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,959,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Isn't it funny how only whites think that racism is virtually non-existent? Minorities NEVER feel that way. I wonder why?
Ignorant people think that racism is non existent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 01:04 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,959,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Given my previous experience for what constitutes as "racism" that leads to "segregation", I would be inclined to say that she is in fact harboring racist feelings, or on a more benign/ignorant level, "hay shaker" feelings (if previous posters are to be believed).

It doesn't matter that the area is seen as unfit for young children and their parents to safely go to the studio.

It doesn't matter that corners around the studio are gang hangouts.

It doesn't matter that corners around the studio are used as open air drug markets.

It doesn't matter if the proprietor thinks the area is unsafe to do business.

What does matter, according to some people in this thread, is the fact that she is choosing to move her studio (willful segregation) to a place that is more conducive to her business' prosperity and her clients' safety, and that is apparently what is wrong with Chicago and why it is so segregated.

I would also go out on a limb and say that some of those posters are going to call this line of thinking, "absurd", "stupid", or "ignorant". Then I'm forced to think, "What if this was a white woman, not a black woman, doing this for the same exact reasons as stated in the article?" Would those people then think that the owner of the studio was trying to segregate her business and clients from a particular race, not the social and economical issues involved in such a decision?

What do you think?
You obviously don't know the definition of racism so it won't do conversation any good to discus it with you.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:07 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Ignorant people think that racism is non existent.
Not to beat a dead a dead cliche to death, but... "Winner, winner! Chicken dinner!"

I agree with this statement (and I have said it before in previous posts).

But the equivalent, in my mind, of "RACISM IS NON EXISTENT" is the same as saying:

"Nazism is non existent".

Do both exist? Most certainly.

Do they influence policy and social norms to the extent they did in years past? NO.

And bonus points (FOREVER, AS SOON AS I CAN GIVE THEM) if someone can tell me who the poster I quoted was earlier. All the posts underlined and italicizied came from one person who has posted on this thread.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:10 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,567,853 times
You know, the truth about me is that I don't like people in general, no matter what color they are.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
You obviously don't know the definition of racism so it won't do conversation any good to discus it with you.
You obviously don't know how to read or differentiate between words. So I will post DICTIONARY DEFINITIONS AGAIN.

RACISM:

rac·ism   [rey-siz-uhm]
noun 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Tell me, how many people have you met that believe the SOLE FACTOR in determining a person's worth is bound to their skin color/ethnicity.

I will be waiting.

But I really think you are confusing RACISM with PREJUDICE.

Once again, from dictionary.com:

prejudice:

prej·u·dice   [prej-uh-dis] verb, prej·u·diced, prej·u·dic·ing.
noun 1. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
2. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.
3. unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, especially of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group.
4. such attitudes considered collectively: The war against prejudice is never-ending.
5. damage or injury; detriment: a law that operated to the prejudice of the majority.

Apparently you aren't getting it. Racism is based on and strictly interpreted on skin color/ethnicity.

Someone who lets Joe Montana into their house but refuses to let in Jerry Rice is (probably?) a racist (more than likely).

Some one who lets Morgan Freeman into their house but does not let Omar Little (from The Wire) into their house is not a racist.

If a black person avoids and doesn't want to make friends with a Juggalo, they're racist, right (according to your line of thinking)?

Or is that just prejudice?

Old 09-05-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
You know, the truth about me is that I don't like people in general, no matter what color they are.
I can't rep you more... not now at least.

But the more I use the internet, the more I feel the same.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:06 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I'd suggest people consider that the terms racism and bigotry are related but are not interchangeable.

There is a difference - racism is institutionalized bigotry.
False. Racism is a form of bigotry that focuses on race. Like any other form of bigotry (sexism, homophobia, etc.) it can be institutionalized or not.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:08 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,178 times
Quote:
Isn't it funny how only whites think that racism is virtually non-existent?
Yep. Not all whites, either. Just particularly unobservant ones like the OP. The thing is, being white gives us the privilege of being able to ignore racism if we so choose. (I personally choose not to.) Non-white people don't have the choice.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:04 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
False. Racism is a form of bigotry that focuses on race. Like any other form of bigotry (sexism, homophobia, etc.) it can be institutionalized or not.
You are welcome to your opinion, but that was how it was taught in a UIUC course on racism in society. The point was that black people can be prejudiced against other groups (as can any), but in America, they can't be racist. If you have anything to back up your comment, by all means post away.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Yep. Not all whites, either. Just particularly unobservant ones like the OP. The thing is, being white gives us the privilege of being able to ignore racism if we so choose. (I personally choose not to.) Non-white people don't have the choice.
At this point in time, I have a really hard time believing you are reading anything I write.

Show me where I said racism does not exist.

You can't do it. Why? BECAUSE I NEVER SAID THAT. EVER.

I have said I've lived in places were open racism was given the attitude of, "Meh."

I have heard racist statements from people. Statements of what violence would be done to such a person(s).

What I HAVE said is that I don't think racism is the biggest factor in why people live where they live.

I don't think I can be anymore clear on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago