Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 PM

575 posts, read 616,059 times

Advertisements

Don't forget that the CHA was found by the U.S. Supreme Court to have violated the U.S. Constitution by furthering racial segregation. The supposed remedy - scattered site housing - did not work as no one wants a scattered site in their neighborhood.

FindLaw | Cases and Codes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 09:16 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
It's the notion that the city itself or *some, and only some*, of the people living in it are intentionally separating residents into their perspective groups because they have some sort of hatred or fear towards groups that aren't like them, that baffles me.
It baffles you that people do this, or it baffles you because you don't think it's real? If it's the former, it should. If it's the latter, you aren't paying attention.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:37 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,043 times
Maybe we shouldn't let naive, sheltered hay shakers from the lily white suburbs into the big, cruel world after all...

Old 08-29-2012, 10:55 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
America is segregated. The first slave was in North America before 1600. In the 1600s the majority of the Dutch Farmers in NY and LI has slaves. According to what I read they were treated quite differently than the slaves in the South which eventually brought about the Civil War. After the war that allegedly united a country there was a mass exodus of slave to the North which allowed the *sunset* towns to exist, as well as legal language in Deeds and PLats that prevented a Catholic from moving to this place, or a Jewto that place.

Cities are constantly changing. Some for the better; some for the worse. The face of segregation at least in the past generally indicated a rift between black and white. Gentrification and white flight mean the same thing: NIMBY! People move for a lot of reasons.

Some come to a big city to hide, some come to experience it. People move for job opportunity and to be closer to family. Some move for a bigger back yard. better schools, safer streets and more privacy. People also move to gated communities, to exclusive enclaves, and Section 8 housing because it is what they can afford. There is probably a bigger divide between the Have's and Have not's in America than there is between races. The problem is the Evil Twins: Jealousy and Hatred.

If you can't live where you want to, you do one of two things. You move out, or you go back to school and earn the degrees, that open the doors, to the jobs, that let you live the life of which you dream. Life is a craps shoot. You win or lose - not with the roll of the dice - but with the choices you ultimately make.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:22 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You mean you haven't been to Real Tenochtitlan yet??
Yeah, it's OK, but it isn't the same.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:33 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
It baffles you that people do this, or it baffles you because you don't think it's real? If it's the former, it should. If it's the latter, you aren't paying attention.
I would say both.

I would venture to guess that a small, almost insignificant, percentage of the population truly harbors "racist" feelings towards a group(s). Even without laws in place that are discriminatory in practice, I have a hard time believing that the small percentage of people who truly are "segregationists" or "racists" can influence the entire city's residential/commercial patterns with their own practices. That is, the few people who would legitimately turn down a new resident/business regardless of how much money they had, positives they bring to the area, or the overall good nature of the person being discriminated against, has enough power in the city to make it segregated.

I still think money plays a much larger role in this than irrational feelings of a very small minority of the population. I would then think the second biggest factor would be "culturalism" (I made that up, I think) that segregates people. And close to, if not, the very bottom of factors, I would think that flat out "racism" or "discrimination" comes into play.

My thoughts.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Maybe we shouldn't let naive, sheltered hay shakers from the lily white suburbs into the big, cruel world after all...
So, you think a possible solution to segregation in Chicago is to disallow free movement into the city? Makes perfect sense!

Old 08-30-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
It baffles you that people do this, or it baffles you because you don't think it's real?
Quote:
I would say both.
You're baffled that it happens and you're baffled that people believe it happens? So you baffle yourself?

Careful, too much of that and you'll go blind. <rimshot>

Old 08-30-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
So, you think a possible solution to segregation in Chicago is to disallow free movement into the city? Makes perfect sense!

I don't think she's proposing it as a solution to segregation. She's proposing it as a solution to threads like this one.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
You're baffled that people think it exists and you're baffled that it exists? So you baffle yourself?

Careful, too much of that and you'll go blind. <rimshot>
Is there a city wide sub current that permeates every Chicagoans mind that makes them segregate? No.

Are there people in the city who enjoy and work towards keeping things segregated? Yes.

I don't think they're mutually exclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago