Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:37 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,103,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
That address is police beat 1124 in the past 2 weeks there have been 4 aggravated assaults, 1 strong arm robbery and 1 homicide.

In the whole community area in the same 2 weeks

11 - aggravated battery
6 - aggravated assault
14 - robbery
2 - homicide

Are you new to the city? It's a VERY well known fact that there is a lot of crime in that area. For what it's worth, I believe you were so same person who said the area around Schurz HS was dangerous, in the same 2 weeks there were 0 violent crimes in police beat 1731(where Schurz is)
There's just no way anyone can be as clueless as irvparkrez claims to be. Dude is either a troll or has some serious mental challenges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 12:40 PM

18 posts, read 20,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
There's just no way anyone can be as clueless as irvparkrez claims to be. Dude is either a troll or has some serious mental challenges.
Thanks for letting me know guys. I trust the majority .

Do you guys know anything about Prairie Ave and 37th St? I found an affordable house near that block.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:46 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,364 times
What is your budget? You're definitely picking some extremely marginal areas of the city. 37th street on the other side of the Dan Ryan is a nice area, 37th and Prairie is better than your first East Garfield Park address but still not an area people would consider safe.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
What is your budget? You're definitely picking some extremely marginal areas of the city. 37th street on the other side of the Dan Ryan is a nice area, 37th and Prairie is better than your first East Garfield Park address but still not an area people would consider safe.
Sorry I forgot to mention it. I am looking for a house for under $100k.

Okay, I will keep looking for more options.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:27 PM

968 posts, read 2,664,621 times
100K for a single family house is not going to go far toward being in a safe and close neighborhood in the city, I'm afraid .. You might find a foreclosure or short sale on the Southwest Side .. anywhere else will have you in a marginal to downright dangerous area .. That's the reality .. there's 'safe', then there's 'cheap' ..

Old 08-30-2012, 07:26 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvparkrez11 View Post
There might be, but not all of East Garfield Park is dangerous.. Didn't someone on this forum say that?

That was me. Not ALL of it is dangerous, but most of it is. I've seen some decent places on the border of EGP and Near West (whatever you want to call it). I have walked in that area the OP is talking about, and for me it wasn't terrible, but there was definitely a lot run down there and it was kind of shady. I definitely got the "drive by" from a few obvious gang cars looking to see who I was but you know, obviously nothing happened to me. For some people who might not be harmed, whatever, but probably not safe for a lot of people who aren't used to that type of thing. It's definitely not a neighborhood to mess around with, but there's a few areas that have a few nice buildings there, but they're on the border closer to the United Center like on Western ave. I honestly wouldn't recommend living there unless you're used to an area with a semi high crime rate.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nillmann View Post
Sorry I forgot to mention it. I am looking for a house for under $100k.

Okay, I will keep looking for more options.
$100k for a house? You could get that for some really small houses under foreclosure maybe, or just in the ghetto. I'd recommend not looking for a house and looking for a duplex or something, or just renting for awhile. $100k budget is pretty low, but it depends on your comfort level. Are you used to SAFE areas, or have you lived in some gritty areas before and don't have a problem with it.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:04 PM

Thanks for all of your responses.

snoylekim, so if I understand you correctly, safe in this city is synonymous with expensive. That's strange, because in St. Louis, safe and cheap were synonymous. I'm now living in a house that I bought for $140k almost a decade ago fresh out of college (w/ loans and family help, of course) in a safe neighborhood. Chicago's a different city.

marothisu, if gangs regularly patrol the area, then no thanks. I would rather have police patrolling my area. It doesn't have to be "overly" safe, it can be "pretty" safe.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:33 PM

968 posts, read 2,664,621 times
^^ No.. > 100K would not be considered 'expensive' in Chicago for a Single Family Homes .. there are relatively safe neighborhoods that you could get a SFH for say 150-160K that I'd consider safe and relatively stable, at least much more safe and stable than some of the addresses you've asked us about .. the areas you're checking here and in your other postings have higher crime rates, gang problems , and are underserved for things like shopping, etc .. Chicago is not St. Louis ..
If you're serious about a single family home , check out Garfield Ridge or Clearing on the SW side.. you might find an estate or short/foreclosure for what you've budgeted . But you'll be 8 Miles from downtown .. It's a triangular thing ..you won't get safe, close to downtown, and any houses anywhere near your budget .

Old 08-30-2012, 09:04 PM

Yeah I wouldn't really live in EGP then, of course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago