Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 07:49 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times

Advertisements

she could also "hustle up the Hancock" every time they have that..

And she could go to any highrise, 40 stories up, and just run up and down them. great workout!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 07:22 AM

3,923 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Runnerchick. I think lakeshore is plenty safe after dark. There are tons of people out, the only thing you may see is some drunk kids, or homeless people. Which, either way they probably wont even try to catch up to you.

If your 40 something and a drinker. I would recommend you check out Old Town or Gold Coast. Both are located along the lakeshore paths, and they offer plenty of single adults with a close proximity to the bars. A 1 bedroom will run you about 1500 though, so it can be expensive.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:17 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Runnerchick. I think lakeshore is plenty safe after dark. There are tons of people out, the only thing you may see is some drunk kids, or homeless people. Which, either way they probably wont even try to catch up to you.

If your 40 something and a drinker. I would recommend you check out Old Town or Gold Coast. Both are located along the lakeshore paths, and they offer plenty of single adults with a close proximity to the bars. A 1 bedroom will run you about 1500 though, so it can be expensive.
"Gold Coast" or Gold Coast north of Division. You can get 1 bedrooms in the GC south of Division for under $1500/month. Try $1300 for some places. Actually even north of it there's places for around that price.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:20 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerchick View Post
jdiddy - That is so great to know! Thanks for the info. As a runner, it's really important to know stuff like that. Having an 18 mile stretch remain a safe option for a majority of the evening means that whole area is a great living choice for me! I had no idea.
I should add I was speaking mainly of the most highly trafficked section (generally between Montrose and McCormick Place). I've never actually run/biked south of McCormick after sunset (not because I wouldn't, I just haven't). That section is usually great because its quieter compared to the North side section, but it maybe too desolate at night, and is closer to some rougher areas. So, just keep that in mind.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:34 AM

3,923 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
"Gold Coast" or Gold Coast north of Division. You can get 1 bedrooms in the GC south of Division for under $1500/month. Try $1300 for some places. Actually even north of it there's places for around that price.
Well, obviously there are cheaper places too. I just said about because I am sure there are 1 bedrooms that go for 2K or more. But 1500 is a good middle ground. Im sure she could even find a 1 bedroom 1100 if she wants.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:38 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Well, obviously there are cheaper places too. I just said about because I am sure there are 1 bedrooms that go for 2K or more. But 1500 is a good middle ground. Im sure she could even find a 1 bedroom 1100 if she wants.
There are. A building near me goes for like $3000/month and a few more around there are close to $2000, but in reality it's cheaper than you think now. If you want to buy, that's another story. Then it's really expensive. I pay a little over $1300/month. My building is not even vintage, and I have a 24 hour door staff, gym, etc and it's a good building. I have friends in more vintage buildings who pay around $1200/month for theirs and their places are good. I have a friend who even pays $800/month for his studio. It's not the best place compared to some others around it, but if you put it in Lakeview, it would be an average building. You will find a mix of places. With Streeterville and River North coming on strong, a lot of places in the GC aren't quite as expensive. I'm pretty sure you'll find more expensive places on average in those two areas than GC now unless you're talking about buying a condo/townhome.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:56 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,646 times
I would check out N. Lake Shore between Diversey and Irving Park. That area is East Lakeview and it is a great mix of restaurants, shops, groceries (along Broadway) with tons of pedestrian traffic. Cool side streets lead over to Lake Shore Dr and highrises along LSD. Access every few blocks via pedestrian tunnels over to the park/lake. Many people running along the lakefront path in early evening in this area. You can take express buses from Lake Shore Drive to downtown or walk a few blocks west to the "el" train. good luck with your move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago